First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon!)
Country flag
Hi all,
Have been stalking these forums for a while now with the intention of joining as I got closer to my 4s being delivered...but I could now do with the thoughts of the good people of this forum please.
As my company’s car scheme changed I was able to move to a salary sacrifice scheme, and after setting a semi flexible budget (my wife and I have just moved house and looking to start a family) I came up with the following 4S spec Www.Porsche-code.com/PM1LNYR6 which I’m delighted with - expected into the dealer on 26th April so not long to go!
On Friday one of the Salary Sacrifice consultants emailed me asking if I wanted to get a quote on the RWD due to the price difference....any excuse to mess about on the configurator. After I worked out the Like for Like spec difference was £10k and ignoring the sensible finance person part of my brain, I thought “well what if I added some of the nice to have options - I’ve worked out my Budget already” which lead me to this www.porsche-code.com/PMP1ME56
My thoughts (bit scattered as they are) are: I’ve never owned a Porsche or EV so even the RWD will seem very quick to me, but I’d rather the “stability” of AWD in the 4S even though it’s more powerful - is this nonsense? I’ve specced PTV+ in the RWD, does this make a massive difference (my other experience of RWD is my current Mercedes C220d Coupe, so a little less powerful ?).
Anyone that has their 4S and maybe compromised on options - if the RWD had been available what would you have done?
I’m very conscious this is a real first world problem....any thoughts would be appreciated. Apologies for the lengthy post.
Sponsored

AssadP3

First Name
Assad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera
Country flag
Hey, I’m having the same decisions to make at the moment. I’m coming from a Panamera 4S diesel and am think long about the RWD Taycan as it’s more affordable.
I’m also toying with the idea of adding PTV + but am unsure if the value. I’ve read so much in the past about RWD issues in the rain and snow etc although my old BMW 5 series was absolutely fine.
Did you add the rear axle thingy (technical term!!)? Again, I have it on my Panamera so am thinking why not?

overall, I’m keen to understand the major differences in real life terms with RWD verses AWD.

Decisions, decisions!!

dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have owned FWD, RWD and torque vectoring AWD vehicles (none of them Porsches besides the Taycan, so take this with a grain of salt).

I’ve found that RWD can be a lot of fun. However, the power can easily result in fishtailing and oversteering, especially when you have the weight in the front but the power hitting at the back. So generally you do have to be more careful than an AWD vehicle. This is especially true when accelerating fast around a corner from a stop.

The big problem with RWD is rain and snow. I’ve feel AWD is significantly safer in these conditions. If there is a way for you to test drive a RWD before your order locks, I would recommend you do so...in wet conditions if you can. The weight distribution of the Taycan may negate some of the issues that generally plague front-engine RDW vehicles.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RichH

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon!)
Country flag
I have owned FWD, RWD and torque vectoring AWD vehicles (none of them Porsches besides the Taycan, so take this with a grain of salt).

I’ve found that RWD can be a lot of fun. However, the power can easily result in fishtailing and oversteering, especially when you have the weight in the front but the power hitting at the back. So generally you do have to be more careful than an AWD vehicle. This is especially true when accelerating fast around a corner from a stop.

The big problem with RWD is rain and snow. I’ve feel AWD is significantly safer in these conditions. If there is a way for you to test drive a RWD before your order locks, I would recommend you do so...in wet conditions if you can. The weight distribution of the Taycan may negate some of the issues that generally plague front-engine RDW vehicles.
Thank you that’s very useful. I think a test drive would be a great idea especially to compare the two if possible, but I think with the lockdown situation in the UK these aren’t offered currently. My thinking is that younger me would probably enjoy the RWD and the “challenge”, however given my wife and I are looking to have children in the immediate future I’d rather the safer option (even with the extra power).
We don’t get enough prolonged periods of terrible weather to get used to driving in it and on the flip side the argument could be is that enough reason to not get a RWD for 2/3 weeks of bad weather a year....but it only takes one split second mistake or slide for things to go very wrong!

OP
OP

RichH

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon!)
Country flag
Hey, I’m having the same decisions to make at the moment. I’m coming from a Panamera 4S diesel and am think long about the RWD Taycan as it’s more affordable.
I’m also toying with the idea of adding PTV + but am unsure if the value. I’ve read so much in the past about RWD issues in the rain and snow etc although my old BMW 5 series was absolutely fine.
Did you add the rear axle thingy (technical term!!)? Again, I have it on my Panamera so am thinking why not?

overall, I’m keen to understand the major differences in real life terms with RWD verses AWD.

Decisions, decisions!!
Nice decision to have to make though ? reading Dan’s post above was quite useful.
From looking through the forums previously I didn’t spec PTV+ on my 4S order as it seems like it isn’t needed unless planning to take the car on track (or if money is no object!) I have put rear wheel steering on though as I believe this not only helps with parking/manoeuvring but this also helps stabilise the car at speed (hopefully someone will correct me if I’m talking out of my backside there!)
I’ve also got a RWD at the moment (a Mercedes C220d Coupe) which I haven’t enjoyed driving in snow and ice, although this is probably down to my lack of skill. If you were ok in the 5 Series it may not be an issue?
I’m sure once the RWD has been about for a few months people would be able to compare and contrast. I think I’m going to stick with my 4S order, but I’m going to try and change the wheels - however as this is all through my company not sure how easy that will be. At least it gives me something to think about while not being able to go out anywhere!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Nice decision to have to make though ? reading Dan’s post above was quite useful.
From looking through the forums previously I didn’t spec PTV+ on my 4S order as it seems like it isn’t needed unless planning to take the car on track (or if money is no object!) I have put rear wheel steering on though as I believe this not only helps with parking/manoeuvring but this also helps stabilise the car at speed (hopefully someone will correct me if I’m talking out of my backside there!)
I’ve also got a RWD at the moment (a Mercedes C220d Coupe) which I haven’t enjoyed driving in snow and ice, although this is probably down to my lack of skill. If you were ok in the 5 Series it may not be an issue?
I’m sure once the RWD has been about for a few months people would be able to compare and contrast. I think I’m going to stick with my 4S order, but I’m going to try and change the wheels - however as this is all through my company not sure how easy that will be. At least it gives me something to think about while not being able to go out anywhere!
Hi,

I would go with the 4S (4-wheel drive is intelligent and generally bias is loaded towards rear but in icy / snowy situations instantly switches to wherever most traction is). If a company car and you're not bothered about resale then follow your own preference. The 4S has 100+PS more so it is a different beast and more desirable.

I posted this to another UK buyer which might help with your spec as there are few things which you've added which in my view you will never experience the benefit of and a few that others would expect to have (again thinking of resale if that is a concern).
Sponsored