Next Generation Taycan - what do we want?

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
First of all I wish for next Taycan to have more equipment that is standard in less than half price EVs, plus:
- more luxurious interior with nicer trims, better materials instead of hard plastics unacceptable in 100k+ Porsche
- more sound insulation, its not a 911 after all
- doors which stay open in any position
- softer seats
- B pillar 5cm backward for easier entry/exit
- panoramic roof with real cover not expensive opacity tricks
- regular brakes with any kind of wheels, PCSB and PCCB are money traps for EVs
- bigger PCM screen, phone key, faster app, better cameras
- door frames, frameless doors feel flimsy

I recently tested an Audi RS7 and it felt better screwed together and more expensive.
Yeah the fact that you have to pay thousands of dollars to get something as common place as smart cruise control is ridiculous. This is default on most $20,000 cars now and should be considered a standard safety feature.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
First of all I wish for next Taycan to have more equipment that is standard in less than half price EVs, plus:
- more luxurious interior with nicer trims, better materials instead of hard plastics unacceptable in 100k+ Porsche
- more sound insulation, its not a 911 after all
- doors which stay open in any position
- softer seats
- B pillar 5cm backward for easier entry/exit
- panoramic roof with real cover not expensive opacity tricks
- regular brakes with any kind of wheels, PCSB and PCCB are money traps for EVs
- bigger PCM screen, phone key, faster app, better cameras
- door frames, frameless doors feel flimsy

I recently tested an Audi RS7 and it felt better screwed together and more expensive.
I totally agree with door frames. Most people grab the glass in the Taycan when opening the car (so lots of fingerprints on the glass), just as most people grab the door/window frame (i.e., the top 1/3 of the door) in regular cars to open the door wide. Frames around windows also give more rigidity (safety) to the door and its glass.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
It would be nice if Porsche, in the middle of any given model’s lifecycle, directly asked owners… “What do you guys want out of this car?“

And then feed that into an AI algorithm… And then build that.

The result would be more of a car most drivers want, and less of a car with visor mirrors so tiny a toddler couldn’t even see themselves.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The result would be more of a car most drivers want, and less of a car with visor mirrors so tiny a toddler couldn’t even see themselves.
That’s assuming
  1. People actually know what they want vs what they think they want
  2. The sum of what different people “want” is something people still want
I field product requests for equipment all of the time, both for software and hardware. I’m not saying all ideas are bad, but many aren’t well thought out at all and many are conflicting with other requests.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Yeah the fact that you have to pay thousands of dollars to get something as common place as smart cruise control is ridiculous. This is default on most $20,000 cars now and should be considered a standard safety feature.
The fact that you can get the Taycan without adaptive cruise was a huge plus point for me 😂
I have it on other cars and it is so irritating I never ever use it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am ambivalent about the energy sapping length of the options list but on reflection it allows a very personal selection.

People have widely differing preferences and the options list allowed me to buy a car not only with things I wanted but also allowed me to avoid things I hate which are standard on so many cars like “privacy” glass.

I see several requests on this thread for things which would make the car even heavier which I would prefer to have the choice not to have.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The fact that you can get the Taycan without adaptive cruise was a huge plus point for me 😂
The radar is a very good safety feature .I rarely used ACC but it saved me from crashing into cars that break hard or at high speeds when there's traffic jam.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I feel the opposite. It’s a perfect invention for the highway. I even find myself using it in regular traffic as well; a touch of the autonomous.

However, they can keep the lane keep assist and all the other shit that physically adjusts your steering wheel. I can stay in the lane by myself, thank you.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
However, they can keep the lane keep assist and all the other shit that physically adjusts your steering wheel. I can stay in the lane by myself, thank you.
They can keep any shit that over-rides me, steering, throttle or brake, I can drive a car myself thank you. ;)

The biggest problem with auto throttle/brake is that you have to change lanes far too early if you want to proceed at a steady pace.

I can imagine it may have some utility in heavy or commuter traffic but I have that so rarely the downside hugely overwhelms the twice a year it may be an assistance for me.
Thinking about it I can actually only think of twice in the last 16 months it would have been useful to me and a couple of dozen where it would have been a pain.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The radar is a very good safety feature .I rarely used ACC but it saved me from crashing into cars that break hard or at high speeds when there's traffic jam.
My car does have collision avoidance as standard on the spec, presumably using a different sensor.
Not needed it yet, thankfully.