submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I have to commend the NHTSA for jumping on this quickly and actually taking some meaningful action/putting pressure on Porsche. Color me surprised considering how our government usually operates.
Sponsored

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't understand. They're looking into ETron but what about direct action on Taycan?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Right now this is an information gathering exercise by NHTSA. If they can find something in the requested material of importance where some guy at Porsche says something like the wheels can fall off if ......it will make their life easier. If you have ever been on the receiving end of a request from a regulatory or tax authority you produce all the shit up front or get crucified later.

Yup, you're going to find out if there is a real problem.

Amy R

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 911 Turbo, 2018 Cayenne Platinum Edition
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/508890/nhtsa-investigation-taycan-power-loss/

InsideEVs reported the NHTSA's investigation into the Taycan power loss issue: link above and text copied below

NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation has received nine complaints from Taycan owners related to the issue.
According to a recent report by Automotive News, NHTSA opened a preliminary investigation of 2020 and 2021 Porsche Taycan electric cars related to power loss. The report says the NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation has received nine complaints from Taycan owners related to the issue. Six complaints also state that the car wouldn't restart after the power loss.

In addition, NHTSA points out two field reports that, according to an NHTSA document viewed by Automotive News, claim "a loss of motive power while in motion at any speed without warning to the driver."
Based on the initial probe, which reportedly started this week on Monday, May 17, 2021, NHTSA doesn't yet know how many Taycan may be affected.
Automotive News reported that according to the official NHTSA document:

Interestingly, the publication also reported that some complaints mentioned that an error message popped up. It allegedly read "electrical system error." They claim it also advised them to park the car in a "safe place."

To be clear, we're not sure why Automotive New reported that "All complainants" said there was no warning or error message, but then pointed out that some mentioned an error message. This seems to contradict itself, so we'll have to wait for further details from NHTSA.

Automotive News contacted NHTSA and Porsche for comments on the matter. NHTSA responded saying that a loss of charge in the Taycan's 12-volt battery could deactivate the vehicle's electrical system and render it inoperable.
[/QUOTE
There is no pre warning notice. After the car is inoperable, then the message pops up.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The software bug affecting Power Electronics module is one of the several reported causes of power loss. Some members have reported hardware related issues like bad main batteries or bad high power cables. Arguably the software but is the reason for the spike in complaints the last two months but there are other issues and I hope this investigation will capture all of them.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Unfortunately VW Group has a fair amount of recent experience dealing with US regulatory agencies. ?️‍♂

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unfortunately VW Group has a fair amount of recent experience dealing with US regulatory agencies. ?️‍♂
And after spending 32 billion to fix the mistake, their lawyers will be all over them. Safe as a church.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Right this happened to my wife today (drive system control fault). Before today, we've had no serious problems with the Taycan since buying it July 2020 (didn't even get the 12V battery problem), and had the WMA5 up-date about two-and-a-half months ago without any serious issues. Fortunately, she was on a quiet road at the time and could pull over safely (car restarted no problem). I thought we'd dodged a bullet since it's been so long since the up-date, but apparently not. This is beginning to make me think that the problem is inherent in all Taycans that have had the up-date and it will be triggered when some confluence of events. It then begs the question as to what the hell are Porsche doing in not recalling cars for the patch. Absolutely pathetic. This is my first Porsche and part of buying the Taycan was faith in the brand and the great feedback from other Porsche owners. It feels that I've bought into VW rather than Porsche. I do not think there is an equivalent of NHTSA disclosure portal in the UK unfortunately. I will be on to my dealer today to request the DME/PE patch, but I am sure they won't have a clue what I am talking about.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Right this happened to my wife today (drive system control fault). Before today, we've had no serious problems with the Taycan since buying it July 2020 (didn't even get the 12V battery problem), and had the WMA5 up-date about two-and-a-half months ago without any serious issues. Fortunately, she was on a quiet road at the time and could pull over safely (car restarted no problem). I thought we'd dodged a bullet since it's been so long since the up-date, but apparently not. This is beginning to make me think that the problem is inherent in all Taycans that have had the up-date and it will be triggered when some confluence of events. It then begs the question as to what the hell are Porsche doing in not recalling cars for the patch. Absolutely pathetic. This is my first Porsche and part of buying the Taycan was faith in the brand and the great feedback from other Porsche owners. It feels that I've bought into VW rather than Porsche. I do not think there is an equivalent of NHTSA disclosure portal in the UK unfortunately. I will be on to my dealer today to request the DME/PE patch, but I am sure they won't have a clue what I am talking about.
I found this site to report serious car safety defects in the UK to the DVSA

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag