Not another battery degradation thread…quite…

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
My understanding is that the more charge in the battery the better the obtainable performance; so this got me wondering…

I would assume that Porsche measured HP with batteries fully charged with 0% battery degradation - in my instance quoted as being 616 HP (Will ignore launch control for this topic).

As the battery degrades over time, is therefore our HP degrading?

Also, anyone have any insight into how battery charge level and HP correlate? If we typically stop charge at 85% - are we getting 85% of 616 HP?
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP
OP

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
My understanding is that the more charge in the battery the better the obtainable performance; so this got me wondering…

I would assume that Porsche measured HP with batteries fully charged with 0% battery degradation - in my instance quoted as being 616 HP (Will ignore launch control for this topic).

As the battery degrades over time, is therefore our HP degrading?
There was a YT guy testing LC of the Taycan as often as possible. 10 times no problem with repeated performance. Then the battery was low and the LC performance was reduced. That means even with some degradation, you still have plenty of LCs in the tank. ;)

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I can tell you that when I test drove RS Audi ETron (same basic drivetrain) that only had 25% battery sitting at dealer (which honestly was a good thing not to keep a car sitting at full charge that was not going to be driven, they were not allowing test drives) it was less punchy than when it was charged to 70 or 80%.

The repeated launch control shows that yes there is a lot of punch still left, but probably not as much as at higher charges. It more shows off the thermal management of the Taycan battery and the fact that unlike some previous Teslas the system is not being pushed beyond normal operations just to get the numbers, then needing a significant amount of time to cool down.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Here is a link to test a Taycan Turbo S at 50% charge with a higher charged Taycan Turbo - The Turbo was faster.

ericj320

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Also, anyone have any insight into how battery charge level and HP correlate? If we typically stop charge at 85% - are we getting 85% of 616 HP?
Short answer is no. But think logically, if at 85% SOC you had 85% HP, wouldn’t that mean at 10% SOC you’d have 10% HP?

One of the major benefits of todays battery technology is, not only is the power loss not linear in relation to SOC, they have a great ability to maintain voltage at a relatively high level deep into the discharge. There will be some loss of HP as voltage is decreased, how much is the question. For the most part I would be willing to guess it would be almost negligible unless you were pushing it to its limits or doing accurate testing. The graph below isn’t for the Taycan, but they are a fair representation of today’ batteries, and it will only get better as technology advances.
Porsche Taycan Not another battery degradation thread…quite… 7D34F791-5B61-4C37-9B63-7009FA07CA19
Sponsored