Pete C

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a stone hitting the roof resulting in a hole in the roof. Anyone having experience installing a new panoramic roof?
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I had a stone hitting the roof resulting in a hole in the roof. Anyone having experience installing a new panoramic roof?
Man alive - bit of a bummer to say the least and heard this a few times now - def reinforces my desire to get Flexishield, Xpel or other protection for this thing! Guessing your insurance does not cover a replacement or is it considered a chip and repairable?

SteveO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacan 4S, Boxster S
Country flag
Found a stone chip in my roof over the weekend. Small at the moment but may not stay that way - It may be beginning to spread. Dealer says that it may be able to be repaired (using same technique as for windshield - Resin injection) but replacement of the roof requires major work in the body shop. If anyone else has already been through the pain I'm about to experience, I'd love to hear from you! How long were you without the car. How much did it cost? Waiting for confirmation of insurance claim.

Porsche Taycan Panoramic roof, stone chips IMG_0482
Porsche Taycan Panoramic roof, stone chips IMG_0480

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Doh...I've got one too, in the darkened area you don't see inside the car. Mine is very small and shallow, but it's there.

I'm surprised/concerned that replacing the glass roof is "major service." I would not expect it to be markedly different from replacing a windshield.

Please keep us posted on this.

SteveO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacan 4S, Boxster S
Country flag
Doh...I've got one too, in the darkened area you don't see inside the car. Mine is very small and shallow, but it's there.

I'm surprised/concerned that replacing the glass roof is "major service." I would not expect it to be markedly different from replacing a windshield.

Mine also invisible from inside the car but dealer explained that they use the body shop to do the replacement as so much trim has to be removed inside the car to effect the replacement. Then the old roof panel has to be de-bonded from the structure before a new one can be bonded in. In the factory the roof is installed using a robot which can accurately apply the adhesive. Not an easy thing to do in a workshop. The glass must weigh a ton!

SteveO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacan 4S, Boxster S
Country flag
Pete - How did your replacement go? Would love an update as I'm about to go through the same thing.

Y1BDB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, CT4S
Country flag
I would get some resin in that crack asap. I mean I would leave work right now and go to a glass centre. Temperature or stress in the frame will make that crack go from small to full width. The last time I put off getting a crack fixed for a couple days it spread across the windshield. Others I’ve had sealed have not spread.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Found a stone chip in my roof over the weekend. Small at the moment but may not stay that way - It may be beginning to spread. Dealer says that it may be able to be repaired (using same technique as for windshield - Resin injection) but replacement of the roof requires major work in the body shop. If anyone else has already been through the pain I'm about to experience, I'd love to hear from you! How long were you without the car. How much did it cost? Waiting for confirmation of insurance claim.
Besides @daveo4EV mentioned above, @jonwoodhead also had his pano roof replaced.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my pano roof was scratched in transport - replaced by dealer in Aug of 2020 (if I recall correctly) - not a simple job but also not a “big” job - it’s glass - Porsche knows glass can break - it’s designed to be replaced - no issues that I can tell from the replacement to date.

perhaps find another Porsche dealers if yours thinks it’s a body shop job.

Afliss

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 porsche cross turismo 4
Country flag

I'm waiting for my 4th roof, and the installation is a HUGE process. The entire headliner is removed and reinstalled. 3 days for each service.
Sponsored