DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Is this cracked roof epidemic specific to the CT?
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I'm proud to announce that my roof is cracked again. Found it this way when picking up the car from the dealer. They immediately went into: you could have brought it in this way... Maybe you dropped something on it. They ultimately are going to cover it. I was irate that they suggested I brought it in this way when it was in their care for 3 weeks and they were fixing problems where the roof is clearly in view. Rant over.

The details, this one is different. The glass is cracked on the exterior whereas it was cracked previously on the interior.
Unreal - can't imagine how you actually feeling at this point but suspect they'd need to chain me down!
Just an observation but have we surveyed how many of the CT roof issues are on cars with the OEM roof rails? Just wondering if there is a specific issue in regards how these are attached or accommodated and if somehow more prone to inducing torsional failure?

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Mine definitely has the roof rails. A funny point, I was also questioned at one point if I had installed the roof rails, alluding yet again to how I could have caused this problem. I think this problem is still quite isolated. There's only a handful of us who have had the roof crack.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I was also questioned at one point if I had installed the roof rails, alluding yet again to how I could have caused this problem.
IIRC it’s not even a possibility to install those roof rails after production with the glass roof.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IIRC it’s not even a possibility to install those roof rails after production with the glass roof.
Exactly and why it had me curious as to whether it might be at all related - a random thought, but suspect prob not!

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Exactly and why it had me curious as to whether it might be at all related - a random thought, but suspect prob not!
Rest assured, youve put on many miles, hit many potholes, etc. You probably don't have this problem. If I were buying used, I'd look at multiple roof replacements as an amber flag.

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'm proud to announce that my roof is cracked again. Found it this way when picking up the car from the dealer. They immediately went into: you could have brought it in this way... Maybe you dropped something on it. They ultimately are going to cover it. I was irate that they suggested I brought it in this way when it was in their care for 3 weeks and they were fixing problems where the roof is clearly in view. Rant over.

The details, this one is different. The glass is cracked on the exterior whereas it was cracked previously on the interior.
That's terrible!!!! Why do I feel that this is going to be an going issue after I get my car back. HV heater, glass roof, what else can possibly go wrong 😅

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rest assured, youve put on many miles, hit many potholes, etc. You probably don't have this problem. If I were buying used, I'd look at multiple roof replacements as an amber flag.
Indeed, not worried re my car and did not order the roof rails - almost 1.5 yrs into ownership, thankfully with zero issues. I was more curious if the question had been polled and if there wee any data towards a trend.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
This thread is giving me pause in using the Seasucker Monkey Bars I had purchased some time ago. They have not been on the car even once. I'm moving into a new home shortly and was hoping to use my CT for hauling light lumber and such. Not great distances or at high speed, mind you, but I surely don't want to create an issue (or liability). Might just have to sell them and rent a Home Deopt truck from time to time :)

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/crossbars-and-accessories

Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) 1681636084329

e92er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
This thread is giving me pause in using the Seasucker Monkey Bars I had purchased some time ago. They have not been on the car even once. I'm moving into a new home shortly and was hoping to use my CT for hauling light lumber and such. Not great distances or at high speed, mind you, but I surely don't want to create an issue (or liability). Might just have to sell them and rent a Home Deopt truck from time to time :)

1681636084329.png
HD truck rental cost me ~$75 for 4 hours. Well worth the price to avoid having to use my own car for short errands.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag

1681636084329.png
IMO that's putting a TON of faith in the roof glass adhesive...

Afliss

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 porsche cross turismo 4
Country flag
I personally wouldn't risk it because fighting for coverage is not pleasant.
Coverage is one thing, but the inconvenience of the repair is a pain. I ordered the roof rails from the factory, but I haven't used them. I mentioned this to the service team at my dealer, and they insist that I use them as intended. If I do, will I need a fifth roof, and with they cover it when it breaks?

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Coverage is one thing, but the inconvenience of the repair is a pain. I ordered the roof rails from the factory, but I haven't used them. I mentioned this to the service team at my dealer, and they insist that I use them as intended. If I do, will I need a fifth roof, and with they cover it when it breaks?
Totally on the same page as you.

Each of your replacements, was the roof cracked on the outside or inside?

Afliss

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 porsche cross turismo 4
Country flag
I believe they were on the inside, but I'm not sure.
Sponsored