PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) on Taycan (base model)

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Base suspension is superb but Electric cars that weigh 2.5 tonnes or 5000 pounds are even better with Air Suspension.

PASM is NOT Air suspension

Base2WD comes as standard with

“Steel Coil spring suspension with PASM”

You can upgrade to

“Adaptive Air Suspension including PASM”
Sponsored

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Yeah, that’s 100 percent not true. I’ve driven both cars and, while the base suspension is fine, PASM air handles bumps and imperfections better. Porsche does great fixed suspensions across all of their model range, but PASM offers a better ride. You do know that the difference is more than just raising and lowering the car, right?
You could be right that there is a difference. It will likely have some impact. But since several people wrote that they did not notice a difference, I believe we can assume that the difference is rather small.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You could be right that there is a difference. It will likely have some impact. But since several people wrote that they did not notice a difference, I believe we can assume that the difference is rather small.
IMO, it’s the difference between good and really good, but more because I think the air suspension is amazing on this car, not because I felt the RWD was lacking.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Air suspension no question. Driven both and glad I ordered it on my RWD.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
The difference is significant. The best way to test is to drive cars back to back. I managed to drive a RWD with & without Adaptive Suspension back to back on the same day at the dealership before ordering my 4S.

And the difference (at least on UK roads) is significant and quite easily perceived by both driver & passenger.

This difference should not be surprising, because even in non Porsche ICE cars (over the last few years), adaptive damper control or adaptive suspension or variable damper control (fancy names for the same purpose) have always been very noticeable.

The difference may (possibly) be minuscule if one is always driving on the German AB; as on that smooth tarmac, almost any suspension shines

Lord Cartilage

First Name
Seun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Folks, it is decison time, my lock in date looms and I cannot decide which of RAS or PASM(With Air) should take precedence in my list of options for my base Taycan in the UK. Ideally, I dont want to include both options.

I have also specced the bigger battery but think that is non negotiable. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I don't miss RAS, or at least I don' think i do. Parks fine etc with out it. Get the power steering plus thing though, that's not too expensive either and will help low speed manoeuvres.

Have the air suspension as standard on my CT4S. Helpful for speed bumps and steep drives. As the RWD is already lower than the CT's normal height, I'd be inclined to get it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Folks, it is decison time, my lock in date looms and I cannot decide which of RAS or PASM(With Air) should take precedence in my list of options for my base Taycan in the UK. Ideally, I dont want to include both options.

I have also specced the bigger battery but think that is non negotiable. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated
If you want RAS you have to have air suspension so not an either or choice.

Lord Cartilage

First Name
Seun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Thanks for your replies, I have power steering spec'ed so guess I can do without RAS ?

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Thanks for your replies, I have power steering spec'ed so guess I can do without RAS ?
With a car this size, RAS is a must. Owners who have never had it will say, "ehh. don't need it. can't tell the difference." It's like having a smart watch--you don't really need it until you've had it.

As for air suspension, did we forget it's more than just for looking cool while parked? Like another member said, it handles bumps way better, height based on speed for better aero (I'd be nice to see a percentage range on this), and probably the most important is the auto leveling feature. It's great to have a full car and not have it looked slammed.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I found the basic power steering with my 4S and 20 inch wheels perfect.
My salesmen told me to get Power steering PLUS with the gangsta black RS Spyder 21 inch wheels on my GTS.
I failed to take his advice but after tugging on the wheel for a week I quickly upgraded via FoD for £299 so cost me an extra £100. Definitely much nicer.
Rear steer is pointless for a turning circle of 11 meters instead of 11.5 meters.
Any benefit is imaginary.
I park in a tight spot with no problem. RAS would mean a different angle of approach that’s all.
High speed manoeuvring improvement is only noticeable at 200 mph by a Porsche test driver.
High speed manoeuvrability is immaculate for all mere mortals!
I am convinced that the improved ‘feel’ of the Taycan that people claim to experience with RAS is 99% down to the Power Steering Plus and 1% down to the actual Rear Steer.
I have driven 2 loaners with RAS for 48hrs each and detected absolutely NO difference between them and my Power Steering +(only) GTS.
But. Hey! That might just be me…………
Sponsored