Phone holders for the Taycan - what are you using?

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Looks nice, but 100$? Mid console pocket Qi charging works fine for me.
Keeps my hands off the phone as well.
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Looks nice, but 100$? Mid console pocket Qi charging works fine for me.
Keeps my hands off the phone as well.
While the car's built in Qi charger is great for charging, it becomes useless when you need to see the phone's screen for some key apps especially if you have an Android phone (A Better Route Planner, Waze, Highway Patrol, JBV1 for Valentine 1, etc.). It is more to see the device screen versus interacting with the phone (no texting while driving, etc.).

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
For those who have picked up their cars what are you using to hold the phone in the car?

I am currently using an aircon vent holder in my car but from what I can see from videos this won't be compatible with the Taycan air vents.

So what do you recommend? Not sure if the windscreen mounts would work too well.
Custom designed, 3D printed, slide in holder with a pre-wired pre-aligned USB-C connector mounted in the bottom. RAM ball mount to attach it to the console. Physical console mounting method yet to be determined (car arrives this week). I'll likely custom design/print something to attach to the underside of the console (in the top of that little cavity). Maybe using 3M DualLock if there are no hidden screws I can dual purpose... (I'll have to work that part out once I can get my head under the console). I also have a 12V USB Charging port standing by to pre-wire into the fuse panel in the pass footwell so I have absolutely no wiring/unwiring to do once its installed and all the wiring can be hidden and tucked away. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNDDTP6) This is the same basic formula I have used on most of my cars (i8, M4, GMC Denali)

Here is what it looks like in my i8: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23991142&postcount=9

(If anyone wants this 3D print file for the Note 10+, just drop me a PM...)

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I ordered a few different cup holder phone cradles, but none were great. I remembered that many years ago I used some custom cradles and phone mounts from ProClip. Last night I went on the the website proclipusa.com and was pleased to see that they had a custom mount available for the Taycan.

For those of you who are not familiar with Proclip, it is a two part system. You need to purchase a custom base for your particular car. The base is installed without any alternations or permanent holes or adhesives. Once you select the base, you then choose a device cradle for your particular device. You can also select whether or not you want charging, or a fitment that takes into account whether or not your have case or screen protector on your phone. On some of my other cars if I didn't want the base on the left side (driver's side in the US), I went on the UK site and ordered a base for a right hand drive model of my car and installed the base on the right side. I am sticking with the left side for the Taycan since the mount is not down near my thigh for the Taycan.

It is a solid installation and puts the phone is a much better location than the cupholder (or the vents - since the vents on the Taycan are atypical and will also block the touchscreen controls). Attached is a .pdf document with some images of the base and mounts.

proclipusa.com
Hello @wemct,

Thanks for your post. This looked like a great product so I ordered it. I am now having problems installing it. How hard was it for you to get it installed?

I have been communicating with customer service at ProClip. They sent me instructions with more pictures but I still do not think the one I have will fit following those instructions (I have tried...).

According to their instructions I should be able to slide the top in between the leather and the screen then I would need to apply a bit of force as I pushed the bottom in place. However - I cannot slide the top between the screen and the side - the bottom is blocked and the top is going in at an angle. I would have to apply a lot of pressure to the top to make any progress and I expect it still would not fit and instead would damage the leather (or possibly the screen).

From what I can tell there is no way the one I received could fit and my best guess is somehow I received the wrong product or there was a defect in the one I did receive. It has the correct product number on it for the Taycan - but it is hard for me to believe this can fit a Taycan.

That said - it still could be my error so wanted to check with you and the forum to get input. Please help...

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
It is a solid installation and puts the phone is a much better location than the cupholder (or the vents - since the vents on the Taycan are atypical and will also block the touchscreen controls). Attached is a .pdf document with some images of the base and mounts.

proclipusa.com
I saw your previous recommendation for proclip, so I ordered and received one (I sprung for the charging mount). Tried the phone in it, got the width adjusted, and that will be slick to use (just slide it down into the charge tip). Every time I go for another test drive, I check the ergonomics, and it looks like it will be positioned really nicely for seeing and touching as it sits just up off the side of the center console. Can't wait to pick up my Turbo first week in April.

Great advice on this, thanks.

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I saw your previous recommendation for proclip, so I ordered and received one (I sprung for the charging mount). Tried the phone in it, got the width adjusted, and that will be slick to use (just slide it down into the charge tip). Every time I go for another test drive, I check the ergonomics, and it looks like it will be positioned really nicely for seeing and touching as it sits just up off the side of the center console. Can't wait to pick up my Turbo first week in April.

Great advice on this, thanks.
Hello @faroutinNM - when you have taken the proclip with you on a test drive, were you able to mount it to the car without any issues?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Phone holders for the Taycan - what are you using? 1616033454566

It is glued on and works perfect, if you do not have a passenger screen.

Porsche Taycan Phone holders for the Taycan - what are you using? 1616033383240

That's less than US$30 https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=593703603760

The cradle is touch sensitive, so it opens up, when you put the phone in and closes to hold it tight. With wireless charging it's by far the best I have used.

Disclaimer: I for some reason own a few Xiaomi shares! :cool:

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Hello @faroutinNM - when you have taken the proclip with you on a test drive, were you able to mount it to the car without any issues?
Oh, no, I've given the wrong impression. I didn't take the proclip setup with me, I just used my imagination to "place it" in a position that I liked along the console edge in my mind's eye. I have already assembled the base and phone-holding part, and have test-placed my phone in it, so it's easy to tell how things would be oriented relative to the console edge. It seems to be in an ideal place for use while in driving position (or passenger position, for that matter).

I've seen that several forum members have been using it with good results, so I'm guessing that the clip-console interface work well, and looking at the base clip in the flesh, it seems foolproof.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
1616033454566.png

It is glued on and works perfect, if you do not have a passenger screen.

1616033383240.png

That's less than US$30 https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=593703603760

The cradle is touch sensitive, so it opens up, when you put the phone in and closes to hold it tight. With wireless charging it's by far the best I have used.

Disclaimer: I for some reason own a few Xiaomi shares! :cool:
I plan to use Slimline Magnetic Phone Holder. I’ve used it for years in my Model S. Small, very adjustable, sticks to any flat surface. Since I’m not getting passenger screen, I plan to mount it on that flat surface near screens. I got it at Abstract Ocean, but see it’s now on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Car-Phone-Mount-Magnetic/dp/B07SMBHRKN.. it comes with metal plate to adhere to back of phone case. Mount it high so Qi charger at bottom is not obstructed.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello @wemct,

Thanks for your post. This looked like a great product so I ordered it. I am now having problems installing it. How hard was it for you to get it installed?

I have been communicating with customer service at ProClip. They sent me instructions with more pictures but I still do not think the one I have will fit following those instructions (I have tried...).

According to their instructions I should be able to slide the top in between the leather and the screen then I would need to apply a bit of force as I pushed the bottom in place. However - I cannot slide the top between the screen and the side - the bottom is blocked and the top is going in at an angle. I would have to apply a lot of pressure to the top to make any progress and I expect it still would not fit and instead would damage the leather (or possibly the screen).

From what I can tell there is no way the one I received could fit and my best guess is somehow I received the wrong product or there was a defect in the one I did receive. It has the correct product number on it for the Taycan - but it is hard for me to believe this can fit a Taycan.

That said - it still could be my error so wanted to check with you and the forum to get input. Please help...
I think they may have sent you the wrong piece. It should take less than 10 seconds to install the mount. You should not need to put any pressure to get the top piece to fit between the leather and the PCM screen. In reality it only slightly moves the leather a tiny bit away from the screen. The lower part will need a little more effort to secure around the underside. The mount can be installed on either side of the PCM screen. You do not need to use the adhesive strip to secure the mount. Screwing on the cradle to the mount is easy but will take longer than the 10 seconds for the mount.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@BruceF - I removed the cradle from the mount and shot a short video to show how to install the mount. I was wrong about the 10 seconds. It takes 4 seconds to do it one handed. As you will see in the video there is no need to wedge anything on the top. It is more of a wrapping motion and the underside will clip. I hope this helps.

yuanshiang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
has anyone considered just putting a Qi charger in the storage area under the A/C screen? I like the idea of the phone being out of sight but reachable if needed. out of sight inside the center console seems less ideal and I seem to remember a thread dedicated to how difficult it is to access the center console when seated in the drivers seat.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
has anyone considered just putting a Qi charger in the storage area under the A/C screen? I like the idea of the phone being out of sight but reachable if needed. out of sight inside the center console seems less ideal and I seem to remember a thread dedicated to how difficult it is to access the center console when seated in the drivers seat.
Many of us who have Android phones need our devices visible to use apps like Waze because we do not have Carplay. The cradle that I have on my Proclip mount is a Qi Charger.

yuanshiang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Many of us who have Android phones need our devices visible to use apps like Waze because we do not have Carplay. The cradle that I have on my Proclip mount is a Qi Charger.
ah ok didn’t consider that.
would love to here if any iPhone users have had success in putting a Qi charger in the storage area and cleanly hiding the cable to the center console.
Sponsored