Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I agree @ron_b the estimates that the car provides for destinations, are impressive. It normally is correct within only a few percentage points. I certainly trust it when going on a longer trip. But I also never plan for arrival below 10%, so I can hopefully find an alternative in case of broken chargers.
Sponsored

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
@ron_b

Thanks for sharing your ownership journey! Great thread and beautiful family.

Kind regards from Shanghai

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My large Taycan Road Trip - Planned as 4400 miles, actual 5200 miles with side trips.

Lets start by saying my car and I know each other well, picked up in Nov 2020 with 21 miles has over 33K at the start if this journey and near 40K at the end.

Fuel Usage:
Electrify America: 1415kWh, 10.5hr, 36 sessions, Avg 17.5min, (135kW avg) $0.00 (less than 30min sessions)
ChargePoint DCFC: 294kWh, 5.2hr, 9 sessions, Avg 35min (57kW avg), $65
Level 2: 18kWh, 2.7hr, 5 sessions, Avg 32min, $2.49
Level 1 at AirBnB: 12.5kWh, 6.8hr, 2 sessions, Avg 3.4hr, $0 (didn't compensate the minor usage)
AZ BestWestern+ Hotel Tesla L2 Charger: 35kWh, 9.2hr, 1 session, $0 (Stoped at 95% target 1hr before departure)
Total costs: $67.51
Figuring average $4/gal fossil fuel cost, efficiency would be 309 MPG.
Figuring non-Porsche Plan for EA but Pass+ with $4 fee:
$442.65+Other Fees $506.16 so 41 MPG for a performance saloon car with 285mm tires in the rear.

Total 1899kWh (figuring charging car back to 100% at end)
Figuring 92% charging efficiency, 335 Wh/mi or 208Wh/km.
Hypermiling? – NEVER, It’s a Porsche!
Top speed allegedly 113mph, during a pass.

Photos along the way:
Pictures with Stealth
combined_stealth.jpg
Really appreciate you sharing this experience as I had planned out a possible 'mega-trip' pretty much along the same route but starting and ending in Houston TX! Interested to see you using the ChargePoint chargers as I was def struggling to see how to make it through some legs of that planned trip where EA stations were sparse and esp in NM and Arizona, but looks like you had no real issues in that regard - GTK!

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Latest update, car has been charging great after the second time for a fix. Now up to 53.3k miles. Battery health is 90.55% according to an OBD II scan.
See thread https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/baseline-for-hv-battery-soh-performance.12815/

“Right charging port impaired”
However my right charging port door won’t open after a L2 charge last night. Error message attached, took it to service this morning. Porsche Stevens Creek was great at getting me in as I have an emergency trip coming up and can’t deal with not being able to access the DCFC port.
Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth 5FD4B589-E4C2-4FA0-80B5-11599A05137F

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Latest update, car has been charging great after the second time for a fix. Now up to 53.3k miles. Battery health is 90.55% according to an OBD II scan.
See thread https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/baseline-for-hv-battery-soh-performance.12815/

“Right charging port impaired”
However my right charging port door won’t open after a L2 charge last night. Error message attached, took it to service this morning. Porsche Stevens Creek was great at getting me in as I have an emergency trip coming up and can’t deal with not being able to access the DCFC port.
5FD4B589-E4C2-4FA0-80B5-11599A05137F.jpeg
Curious if after your L2 charge did you have any issues closing the LHS AC_only charge port door?

I ask as the only time I've had this RHS charge port door error in the Dash was when for some as yet TBD (faulty door motor or sensor etc. ?) reason my LHS door failed to close after AC charging at home - the door repeatedly attempted to close but bounced back as though there was an obstruction (which there was not). When this happens the RHS charge door error pops-up in the Dash because obviously if the LHS stays open the RHS cannot open i.e. and indirect effect.

I resolved my issue by some manipulation of the LHS door until it closed (had to do this twice in my ownership to date and despite recording the dash error my service dept. considered it as never happening as they could not repeat!). Clearly I will take a video if it ever occurs again :)

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Curious if after your L2 charge did you have any issues closing the LHS AC_only charge port door?

I ask as the only time I've had this RHS charge port door error in the Dash was when for some as yet TBD (faulty door motor or sensor etc. ?) reason my LHS door failed to close after AC charging at home - the door repeatedly attempted to close but bounced back as though there was an obstruction (which there was not). When this happens the RHS charge door error pops-up in the Dash because obviously if the LHS stays open the RHS cannot open i.e. and indirect effect.

I resolved my issue by some manipulation of the LHS door until it closed (had to do this twice in my ownership to date and despite recording the dash error my service dept. considered it as never happening as they could not repeat!). Clearly I will take a video if it ever occurs again :)
I have manual charging doors. But no I had no issues with left hand door opening out re-latching. Also I could open the right side if I tried within 1 second of unlocking the car. But the port has a red light and would not charge.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have manual charging doors. But no I had no issues with left hand door opening out re-latching. Also I could open the right side if I tried within 1 second of unlocking the car. But the port has a red light and would not charge.
Ah - answers that! But this now sounds like it could be quite serious in respect if not a sw issue then possibly a DC hardware issue - hopefully not!

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well I should be EV getting my car back from service tomorrow after 8 days.
I am hoping all is fixed as I have over a thousand miles planned in the next 7 days.
They had ordered a door latch/lock which I assume has sensors in it also.
The car is quite complex and has so many interlocks for safety. Thus many points of failure it seems too.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well I should be EV getting my car back from service tomorrow after 8 days.
I am hoping all is fixed as I have over a thousand miles planned in the next 7 days.
They had ordered a door latch/lock which I assume has sensors in it also.
The car is quite complex and has so many interlocks for safety. Thus many points of failure it seems too.:rolleyes:
Picked up on Thursday and added 700 miles by Friday evening. Charging port is back in business. They were also able to address my intermittent problems with the parking cameras. 500 miles to add tomorrow and many more to go.
The Taycan is charging like a boss, at Bjørn would say.
Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth 8BF7F031-B57C-4890-9150-ED96AEF6FA2F

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Starting my about 8000 mile road-trip.
California to South Carolina (stopping in Atlanta to see PECATL and get new tires) then to Ohio then Illinois then back to Illinois and Michigan then Wisconsin. After that I shoot back to California.
I had 68.8k miles on my 2020 Taycan at the start of this trip. Averaging 650miles/day on travel days.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, I am on day 10 of my 20 Day road-trip.
  • Odometer 69,803mi / 112,404km
  • Total EA charge sessions: 23
  • Average EA session length: 16.9min
  • Distance covered 3,990mi / 6,425km
  • Hotel stops with charging: 4 (Oklahoma, Mississippi, West Virginia, Indiana)
Several days were at relatives with only 120v level 1 charging to recover 19-20%.
also charged at the Porsche Design DCFC units at Porsche Experience Center Atlanta while having lunch at Restaurant 356. Table overlooking the track and the food was exceptional as one would expect from Porsche. I also had my tires checked at the Porsche service center next to the experience center, they were about 5/32” on the rear, I had them pull new tires for me at the beginning of the trip but as they were still at this level, I decided to hold out and have ordered new tires for next month back in California.

I was certainly a bit concerned about availability of chargers and their reliability at the beginning of this trip. With so many additional electric vehicles on the road, and seeing how full they can get in California, it made me nervous. Not having my wife on this trip alleviated and anxiety, I had my youngest son for the first half of this journey and he has now flown back, but provided a lot of driving assistance during that first 4000 miles. Generally speaking at least one charger is broken at every site and I’ve seen sites with two of the three chargers broken. Even one site with only one functional unit. The good news is that I had not seen an electric vehicle on the road (of any type- including Tesla) for a several thousand miles of this journey except at charging stations and even then it was quite rare.
The bottom line is, I’ve only had to wait at probably four chargers and the maximum wait time was 20 minutes at the worst. Fingers crossed this continues. :fingerscrossed:

Tomorrow I am off to Chicago, then Michigan, then Chicago, then Wisconsin then Minnesota. This is to provide ground transportation for my daughter a friend after they fly in tomorrow night. After that, I head back to California with two overnight stops along the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Most photos are being posted to the location location, location, thread, created by Don @louv with his road trip around the United States.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Final trip report.
Returned 9/28/2023 from a 19 Day road-trip.
  • Distance covered 7,302mi / 11,751km
  • Odometer 73,115mi / 117,667km
  • Total EA charge sessions: 46
  • Average EA session length: 18.5min
  • Hotel stops with L2 charging: 4 (Oklahoma, Mississippi, West Virginia, Indiana)
  • Hotel/House nights with L1 charging: 7 (~15% overnight)
  • Most Amazing Charging Day 9/27 720mi
    • Cheyenne, WY 15min 18-85% 239kW Avg
    • So-so session in Rawlins, WY 37min only ~108kW avg to 21-96% to get thru dead-zone
    • Evanston, WY 08min 14-42% 173kW Avg
    • Salt Lake City, UT 13min 13-72% 237kW Avg
    • West Wendover, NV 10min 14-61% 239kW Avg
    • Elko, NV 18min 8-80% 204kW Avg
  • Most disappointing session 9/26
    • Waukee, IA 52min 12-94% 82kW Avg
      (tried multiple as I was limited to 78kW at 12% SoC and warm battery, reported to EA)
      (Did give me a chance to find a very cool store, Fleet Farm - When you're in Indiana)
  • Total Charging costs: $25.27 (off-network)
Saw virtually no EVs on the road once I got past California and before I returned to Nevada. (except occasionally at charging stations with exception of Chicago & Atlanta.

Driving time 123.5hr Avg 59mph
Freeway speeds +5mph to +15mph based on detected customary speeds, usually +10.
Chg kWh: 2.0mWh Electrify America, 220kWh Other DCFC, 450kWh L2/L1 Total: 2,7mWh
Efficiency 341Wh/mi
Note: Total Chg Charging compensated with return at 24% and departure 100%.
Efficiency based on 8% Charger losses. 20" Wheels.

Findings:
  • Sports car of the mid-west - The Chevy Corvette. Saw many :)
  • The car did very well, comfort was exceptional as was performance (of course). Only regret, I wish I configured the massaging seats after doing 73K miles in this car...
  • The Taycan is a road-tripping beast, highly recommended!

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
One charging stop with anxiety, I was originally routed to North Platte, Nebraska but when I was only about 20 minutes away, it disappeared from the Navigation. Then I got a message, saying I was not able to reach a Charger. This was on September 26 which appears to be the day that ABB had a major outage on their Charger status. Though I heard this should not have affected Electrify America. It certainly did affect the Porsche navigation.
I was looking ahead and found Ogallala Nebraska as an alternative with a 2-3% arrival. it dropped to 2% at times, I had to slow down to near the speed limit, which was quite disappointing not to mention embarrassing. But the car performed fine and my actual arrival was 2% with 3 miles of range.
with all this anxiety, my fears were relieved finding this station completely open and the 350 Charger provided me 231kW instantly and 240 kW within a first few seconds ramping up to 267 kW at 46%. A 19 minute charge from 2% to 80% is a beautiful thing on a road trip.
Note: This is a three-year-old car with 73,000 miles on it and I have added 18MWh in my 486 total DCFC sessions.

Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth IMG_0897
Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth IMG_0898

Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth IMG_0902
Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth IMG_0905
Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth IMG_0906

Last edited: