Please Welcome Stealth

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I hear you Chris. Thanks for the Tip, I had seen I did qualify yesterday and I have actually used that threat with PCNA and hope tp have a supervisor call me tomorrow. I did spend a bit to get a full PPF and ceramic coat on the car. Actually I have really not lost confidence in the vehicle, I personally think they are all a bit buggy until they get the S/W development under control. Without hiring @louv to manage their QA Department it will probably take much longer too. :)

So far no call back from PCNA (only my calls to them) and the GM of the dealership has not responded to my email. My service advisor told me again today no estimate on part yet. :(

Now I just live vicariously though the efficiency numbers folks post on:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/what’s-your-taycan-efficiency.4445/
When I had a Macan with oil leaks that could not be fixed they really did not care about a "thread of using the lemon law". That is daily business for them and I don't think it will expedite anything.
I know everyone's situation is different but you can start the lemon request and you can always withdraw it later if you get your care back. It will take several weeks till you hear back for the request. I believe if you get a 2022 replacement the savings in deappreciation will be way higher than the cost of PPF+ceramic.
Good luck either way!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well it’s been just over 5 LONG weeks and I just got word from my Service Advisor that my car has had all software updates now applied, delays caused by having to replace 2 control units during this process. So a few tuning and calibration items still needed to finish that up and look at 2 other issues I had seen with Air Conditioning and Suspension. Planning to get my baby back end of the week. Ohhh I hope so!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The sad news is my car is still in service now passing 1 month for a software
I feel for you. I could not even handle 2 days. When the guy said, there was a problem with stage 4 of the update, I was a bit worried. Later that day I asked again, he said, the car actually can drive, but the Navi does not load. So I went and picked up my car. Don't need the navi, let them figure out the problem and let me have my baby to eat corners.:)

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well it's nearing the end of the 6th week without the return of my Taycan. The software update was able to complete last week after replacing 2 control units. But then they looked into the AC issue I reported and determined it was caused by a bad compressor. Part on order still have not gotten an estimate. They said they would get me a Taycan loaner, however it was in the body shop due to a customer damaging the door. It needed a new door from where else, Germany. It arrived a few days ago but not sure how much longer that will take.

Sorry to share my wowes. I do plan on working on Porsche North America to stage some parts in country in order to minimize service times.

On a positive note, I just received my National Parks Annual Pass and for my recent birthday my daughter got me a map of national parks with scratch off locations visited. Can't wait to start scratching.

Wishing others happy trails.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry to share my wowes. I do plan on working on Porsche North America to stage some parts in country in order to minimize service times
You would expect Porsche NA would have figured the parts shortage problem by now but...
Make sure your car has the latest updates for the DME and PE modules before delivery, so you don’t have to take it back to the shop again for the power loss issue.

Good luck with your car! I admire you patience and dedication.

Last edited:

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Day 68 without my Taycan, software update completed 5/19, but with my noisy A/C investigation led to ordering compressor then when it arrived they saw contamination so had to order more A/C lines which arrived 1 wk ago, car was finished install yesterday and need 1 to 2 days for testing.
I do now (for 1 wk) have a Taycan 4S loaner with Mission E wheels and in Gentian Blue. It has bling, going to a cars and coffee now to keep my spirits up.
I now really feel the end of my Stealth absence is near. Though I nearly forgot what my car looks like, I won't tell him that of course. ;)

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sigh, out for a Sunday drive on Hicks Rd. Due to an oncoming car on other side of a narrowish 2 lane rd I went off edge of asphalt but a then in a shadow the shoulder became paved again and a 3” jump existed. Driving the loaner with 21” wheels, we heard a loud clump and within 19sec saw a tire check warning light appear on console. Switched to psi display and watched air being lost at 1 pound per 2 seconds. ?

I was taking a few passengers thinking of a Taycan Cross Tourismo. They still seem interested, knowing things happen.

Porsche road Side assistance was very friendly and had a tow truck out within an hour. I do hope to get my own car back tomorrow or Tuesday. I am certainly happy I picked 20 inch wheels.

I can’t handle 21s?
Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth 8751AEB2-4DE8-410E-AB94-0CA3A17DE67D

Last edited:

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Stealth has returned yesterday after 72 days, with about half the time for the software update and half the time for air conditioning repair. I’ve only had a few drives to re-bond with the vehicle. But tomorrow I take it for a trip to Bakersfield Porsche To pick up the roof rack and box that I ordered then Atascadero and back to San Jose. This is a 550 mile trip, should break it back in again.

I just charged it tonight at our latest EA just 1 mile from my house. 84% to 100% in 22min, always slow to get to 100%, but no problems. I think we’ll have a good time together.

Dr Monty

First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, BMW iX50, Audi
Country flag
Please excuse the long story, I have been putting off until I had time with Stealth, my 4S’s name. It’s now been exactly 2 months and 3900 miles with average 333Wh/mi.
  • Previous EV Experience: Chevy Bolt purchased Feb 2018, love it but it rides hard, not to sporty.
  • Previous Porsche Experience: None, my son bought a 2000 Boxster S when he was 17, I got to drive it a could times. He raves about the engineering behind Porsche and I can see that is a valid rave.
I want to give a shout out to my local Taycan friends like @BayAreaKen, @daveo4EV, @Reg, @porsche_coyote, @Mark.

Order Process:
Watched the world premier Sept 2019, called my local dealership within days to check on a test drive. Finally drove in October and put down deposit. I was number 319 (as I recall) in the queue. I had one more test drive in October but then that was it. By Feb 2020 I was #192 or so for a Model 4S. I checked other dealerships in area and a few hundred miles away I found one with 2 allocations. I put down a 2nd deposit for a June 2020 build slot. My dealership in Bakersfield was great to deal with (Parris/Sal/Michael/…). I have yet to even meet the folks there. All handled with texts, emails, and a couple physical mailings for proper signatures.

Pre-Delivery:
The actual build slipped to August and I watched it sit at a dock in Germany then tracked it on the ship through the Panama Canal and into San Francisco Bay. I had originally selected a PECLA (Porsche Experience Center Los Angles) delivery but then started getting cold feet in June and asked them to drop that as I was worried about how the experience would be with all the COVID rules. After the post by @Reg I again gained confidence and asked my dealership to revert my decision, they said it was too late, but I also contacted Porsche Experience Center and they said that they can make that happen. It all did happen!

Delivery:
Drove to Los Angles on Dec 10th and stayed one night with my wife and 2 boys. Went to PECLA for the delivery experience. Had a tour of the museum and a fabulous meal.

After the meal we were taken to a private room for the delivery handoff. It was very special, the whole nine yards, covered car, sign a star for my delivery that is put on the wall in that room. I was delivery #388.

After that I went to the track and my boys & wife were taken on a private tour of their Porsche Motor Sports shop that I had told Charles (the delivery expert) that they would be interested in. He gave them a great tour and then some VR track driving experience as well. While that was happening, I was taking another Taycan 4S on the track with a personal driving coach in an other Taycan. I had at least a ½ dozen launch controls, max was 109mph before I braked for the turn. The mini-auto-cross circuit was a lot of fun. I saw just how fast you can make that Taycan stop, it’s unreal. Slam those brakes and you go from 40 to 0 in what seems like sub-second. Also enjoyed the skid pad and other traction control courses show just what all that Porsche Stability Management does for you. The car I had did not have PDCC or PTV+ which I have speced as well so need personal testing of that I guess later.

After my 90min or so on the track I came in to meet up with the family and we then walked out to our car waiting outside. Porsche takes hundreds of photos on the track and at the delivery and gives you a memory stick at the end along with some other goodies. I don’t want to spoil the mystery, but…

Bottom Line: If you are near a Porsche Experience Center, spend the $500 for their delivery, it’s worth every penny! The whole PECLA team really made it an experience not to soon forget.

First Drive:
Drove to Atascadero from Los Angles with one stop in Pismo Beach to charge that night, stayed a while as we also ordered a pizza and woofed it down (outside the Taycan in my son’s car J).

After getting home my boys and I went for a drive, I let my oldest (Boxster owner) take it out for a more spirited drive. He mentioned the normal things, handles well but you cannot hide the weight. We did have one incident on that trip where suspension system glitched and needed to turn off car walk away return and it came back. When it was out it rode like my Chevy Bolt EV as we were on some pretty uneven pavement on back roads allowing for more spirited driving.

Charging Summary:
  • Again 2 months of ownership and 3900 miles.
  • Total Fast Charges: 36 (All at Electrify America, mix of 350kW and 150kW stations)
  • Total Level 2 (AC) Charges: 3 (two at home and 1 at work)
  • Total 1450kWh (Charged less losses & HVAC while charging)
  • Porsche Connect & Car report 333Wh/mi (well 33.3kWh/100mi actually)
  • Figuring pack at 86kWh usable (pretty generally accepted) after mid-2020.
  • 86/0.333 => 258mi. I also stand by that number. I can get 260mi at 65-75mph on a not too cold and flat-ish freeway without difficulty.

Porsche InnoDrive:
I use it often, probably too often but I want to learn what it can do so I know.

First thing I did was disable the Speed Sign Recognition for 2 reasons, see: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-sign-recognition-in-innodrive-settings.2979/

I like to use Range Mode on the freeway when nothing aggressive is needed but then when I have a projected arrival at a charge with <10% it wants to adjust down my Max Speed, I now see I can disable that and have done so. My last 10 Fast Charging Experiences:

Date​
kWh​
Cost​
UnitComments
Avg Rate​
12/19/20​
Soledad, US
0:33​
78​
0.75​
110059-04
142​
12/21/20​
Paso Robles, US
0:40​
48​
2.25​
100023-03
72​
12/25/20​
Paso Robles, US
0:22​
69​
0​
100023-03Start 6%/82F, Got 84% in 22min
188​
12/26/20​
Pismo Beach, US
0:07​
10​
0​
100025-01
86​
12/26/20​
Camarillo, US
0:31​
70​
0.25​
100034-09Start 14%/87F
135​
12/26/20​
Pismo Beach, US
0:26​
51​
0​
100025-01Start 32%
118​
12/29/20​
Soledad, US
0:37​
82​
1.75​
110059-02Start 2%/83F 4mi, left 91%/104F 220mi
133​
1/1/21​
San Jose, US
0:31​
54​
0.25​
200193-02
105​
1/6/21​
San Jose, US
0:30​
31​
0​
200191-02Start 42%/59F
62​
1/8/21​
San Jose, US
0:30​
44​
0​
200193-02Start 41%/67F
88​

The charging performance clearly makes it a road trip capable machine (with some planning). As demonstrated by Kyle Connor in https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...lectric-cross-country-cannonball-record.3483/

Do shoot for <=10% SoC at arrival and head out at <85% if possible, to make next stop for optimal times. I find the Porsche range estimates to be very accurate with only a little conservatism, I use them without question adding very little buffer as long as I know some backup plans.

Problems:
I will not try to say my experience was completely error free. I have seen several random PCM issues, all cleared pretty quickly. The most concerning issue was a run of charging problems in early December where I had to retry starting a charging session several times to get it going. And that happed at 4 separate times over several days. I scheduled an appointment which ended up being just before Christmas. In the meantime before the appointment, I had several successful charging events so cancelled that appointment to postpone to a more convenient time. Will post after that appointment.

Closing:
I have no persistent issues with the car. My only issue is thinking of where to go with it. I feel it loves to be driven and I love making it happy.

I haven’t yet done a launch control with my own Taycan. I do plan to soon with my boys. My wife is completely un-interested. :)

Photos:
IMG_7649 copy.jpg

IMG_7678.JPG
IMG_7715.JPG

Pismo Beach Photos: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...s-of-your-taycan-with-scenery.2117/post-43551
Morro Bay: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...s-of-your-taycan-with-scenery.2117/post-45725
Thanks for a very in-depth sharing of your experience. Appreciate the time and thought put into it.

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
I feel your pain. mine was not as long ( about a month without it) . however when mine came back it drove better then it originally did

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry, it's been a while since an update. All is fine. Have now put 1200miles on Stealth in the last 9 days. ;) We are bonding, you know!
Did my Bakersfield trip left San Jose 100% arrived 245mi later (4hr 13min yuck traffic on Interstate 5) at 13% with 38mi est. range so 283mi and I was not sparing the pedal, except where traffic required. AirCon at 71/72F and Ventilated seat on medium. Left SJ 78F arrived Bakersfield 95F. Zoned at dealership a while and chatted with my salesman who sold me the car that I never met before today. You see I had a PECLA (Porsche Experience Center Los Angles) delivery (see post 1) and never once went to Bakersfield Porsche. To get my Roof Rack & Box I did visit.

A passing thought was to put cargo box in car as I had no passengers, it would not fit in any way. The 520L box is so long. Dimensions 81 x 33 x 13.5 inches.

Economy certainly went down (and cabin noise went up) after Bakersfield.
LegConsumptionChargeComments
San Jose - Bakersfield297Wh/mi for 245mi13% - 100% in 2hr (~60kW @ Porsche)Trip to get Roof Rack & Roof Box via I-5
Bakersfield - Atascadero519Wh/mi for 108mi35% - 84% in 22minVia Hwy 46 /w lots of head winds.
Paso Robles - Atascadero - Salinas444Wh/mi for 130mi15% - 89% in 30minLow/Medium headwinds
Salinas - San Jose 52mi402Wh/mi for 52miReturned at 12:00am.
Odometer Left 9,796 return 10,332 536mi.
Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth Stealth_Bakersfield

Q&A:
Flawless Software: Ha Ha
Driver Focused: 100%
Love Taycan: Absolutely

Where to next.....
Sorry I didn't see the @daveo4EV post for the Saturday drive in the 26th. I was busy with an Eagle Scout project that day so could not have made it. Hwy 25 is definitely fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
With just over 12,500 miles I had to take Stealth back into Porsche Service for the Power Loss Vehicle Recall with some trepidation; however, it was unfounded. Taken to service Monday the Aug 2nd and back in my hands Aug 3rd. A excellent loaner as well (T4S).
Very happy to have a short post.

Now heading for a 900mile road trip to the Redwood National and State Park for camping and utilizing my new roof rack & box.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
With just over 12,500 miles I had to take Stealth back into Porsche Service for the Power Loss Vehicle Recall with some trepidation; however, it was unfounded. Taken to service Monday the Aug 2nd and back in my hands Aug 3rd. A excellent loaner as well (T4S).
Very happy to have a short post.

Now heading for a 900mile road trip to the Redwood National and State Park for camping and utilizing my new roof rack & box.
One of the more informative, educational and entertaining threads on this forum - really enjoyed reading through it and thx so much for your efforts.

Do hate you for the weather you are enjoying in CA (I was born/raised in Ireland and do miss my seasons) :), albeit tempered by the fire season and extreme drought. Houston of course has 2 seasons hot and less hot (not entirely accurate!).

All I can do now is cross all my fingers and hope supply chain issues don't set back my Nov delivery by a country mile!

Keep up the good work,
Cheers, C.
Sponsored