Police Towed my Taycan 4S from the rear wheels. Anyone experienced any issues from this?

Gibliner

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hey there,

Unfortunately I left the car (4S) in a bad parking spot at the wrong time and the police tow truck came and took it. They admitted to destroying the bumper and front wheel while taking it into their parking.

What I’m wondering is if the fact that they dragged the car for 10km from the rear wheel without any wheel dolly at the front will pose an issue to the front motor or transmission? Not sure if anyone here has experienced anything.
Sponsored

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
So in this case will they at least pay to replace bumper/wheel? Or do they say sorry and that's it?

juergenhr

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S; 1971 914-6; 2013 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Hey there,

Unfortunately I left the car (4S) in a bad parking spot at the wrong time and the police tow truck came and took it. They admitted to destroying the bumper and front wheel while taking it into their parking.

What I’m wondering is if the fact that they dragged the car for 10km from the rear wheel without any wheel dolly at the front will pose an issue to the front motor or transmission? Not sure if anyone here has experienced anything.

juergenhr

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S; 1971 914-6; 2013 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
There is no transmission on the front motor, only rear. Towing should not hurt the motor

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
There is no transmission on the front motor, only rear. Towing should not hurt the motor
I didn't want to respond to this thread because I don't know the ins and outs of the Taycan inverter, but a permanent magnet motor when spun by an outside force as happens when being towed acts as a generator.

What the Taycan inverter does with that when the car is off I simply don't know, but I do know that on a smaller level, driving a motor like that can stress and even damage the motor controller.

If the inverter simply takes that generated power and pushes it back into the battery that's fine. If the back EMF generated is bounced around and against the power transistors generating heat and maybe overloading capacitors, that could be bad. I'd like to think the Porsche engineers considered and planned for this scenario, but I just don't know.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Actually, this is totally the wrong way of towing an EV.
Suggest you bring it to a Porsche garage to be checked.

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Actually, this is totally the wrong way of towing an EV.
Suggest you bring it to a Porsche garage to be checked.
Agreed, Porsche forbids partial towing. It must be either loaded on a truck or towed when all 4 wheels are on the ground (can only be done in case of emergency)

OP
OP

Gibliner

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
So in this case will they at least pay to replace bumper/wheel? Or do they say sorry and that's it?
When I notified them of the damage in their parking they said that they would take down my info and call me back the next day to arrange their insurance to cover it. Not received any contact as of yet. :confused:
Sponsored