TaycanTimmy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hey guys, I have an interesting question here. Looking into swapping my 4s rear drive motor for a Turbo S rear drive motor. From research I have done, the 4s has the same front motor and same wire harness as the turbo and turbo s. My question is, would I need to swap my ECU or would I recieve the same performance from the Turbo S by just swapping the rear drive motor? Thanks for any help you can give
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
The Turbo S has twice the amps in the front inverter allowing for much more power to the front motor when required. So even if you could swap the rear motor – its not going to give you Turbo S performance.

In terms of the rear – while the Turbo and Turbo S motors are wider – they have more windings than the 4S – they are encased in identically sized housings.

Good luck with it – my hunch is that this is going to be extremely difficult to get working!

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I imagine the motors are individually coded like the 12v batteries and will need a Porsche dealer to get it working. And that of course assumes that Porsche haven‘t got something in there to make sure the car will only work with the correct spec 4S motor.

If you want it to perform like a Turbo then I would trade it in for a Turbo

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Three things: 1. From a software pov, I am pretty sure that the car would need to know what model it is (ie what hardware is on board) in order to work correctly. 2. Make sure you have enough brakes on your car to fully explore the performance envelope. 3. I would strongly recommend some real-time monitoring of amperage draw, voltage, and various temps from a safety point of view when experimenting with something like this.

Good luck. 👍

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Suspect it will also be a different inverter to drive the motor and possibly even a different central HV power distribution controller.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
2. Make sure you have enough brakes on your car to fully explore the performance envelope. 3
Common misconception.
If the car isn't going to be heavier you don't need extra brake performance.

In terms of (kinetic) energy, there's nothing going to change as Ek =0,5mv^2

It may be a good idea to improve contact area for traction to get the power down properly though.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Common misconception.
If the car isn't going to be heavier you don't need extra brake performance.

In terms of (kinetic) energy, there's nothing going to change as Ek =0,5mv^2

It may be a good idea to improve contact area for traction to get the power down properly though.
🙂 LOL

taycan_sportturismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW 320i xDrive
Hey guys, I have an interesting question here. Looking into swapping my 4s rear drive motor for a Turbo S rear drive motor
This is a cool project, but I wouldn't embark on it unless you have a donor chassis which is ready for parts already. Very hard to justify tearing up a perfectly good 4S. A more interesting (and maybe easier) project is to swap a Turbo S drive unit into another chassis and make it rip instead.

In terms of technical details: in a nutshell, you need to learn all of the different sub-systems and components the Turbo S inverter may talk to, figure out what messages are being sent, and figure out how to make the Turbo S inverter happy when it's not in the original car. A lot of this happens over CAN-bus. Great keyword to look up if you're not sure where to start.

Also, I recommend checking out Tesla/other EV swaps first and understanding those first. They (somewhat) remove the challenge of getting components to think they're in the original car. However, there will always be some level of spoofing things unless you make your own control boards for hardware.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hey guys, I have an interesting question here. Looking into swapping my 4s rear drive motor for a Turbo S rear drive motor. From research I have done, the 4s has the same front motor and same wire harness as the turbo and turbo s. My question is, would I need to swap my ECU or would I recieve the same performance from the Turbo S by just swapping the rear drive motor? Thanks for any help you can give
umm yeah no! i rank this as nearly impossible with out factory support - soooo much software involved to be hacked

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
It would be safer and cheaper to sell the 4S and upgrade to a low mileage used Turbo S.
This is the absolute 100% correct answer to all the bonkers questions on the forum like this.
4S prices are holding best.
Turbo S prices crashing worst.
In EVERY SINGLE CONCEIVABLE SCENARIO it will be cheaper, safer, more sensible and 1000 times less stressful to sell the 4S and buy a Turbo S.

Därk

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-24Range Rover Sport, -23 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
To me this project sounds unrealistic - I would advice against it. Buy the car you want instead.

Derip88

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
why invent the wheel?
Easier to sell the 4S and Upgrade we all know that Porsche will make your life miserable
Sponsored