tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
When I raised concern related to Porsche's recommended setting to be set at 50% of what it was capable of (20A versus 40A) I did get a favorable response as outlined below:

While your residence may not be affected, out of abundance of caution, and to help prevent any damage, the default current was set to 50% or 20A. Your charger does have the capacity to charge at 100% or 40A.​

If not done so already, we recommend having an Electrician inspect the electrical outlet you use to charge your Porsche Taycan, to ensure it is up to latest code. Our recommended receptacle is a Hubbell HBL9450A NEMA 14-50 220v. If your household electrical system is up to code, you can choose to revert your Porsche Mobile Charger current setting to 100% or 40A.​

So...I after confirming I am up to code...I am upping to 40A again! Crazy fire drill but at least I am able to get what I expected.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Derip88

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
When I raised concern related to Porsche's recommended setting to be set at 50% of what it was capable of (20A versus 40A) I did get a favorable response as outlined below:

While your residence may not be affected, out of abundance of caution, and to help prevent any damage, the default current was set to 50% or 20A. Your charger does have the capacity to charge at 100% or 40A.​

If not done so already, we recommend having an Electrician inspect the electrical outlet you use to charge your Porsche Taycan, to ensure it is up to latest code. Our recommended receptacle is a Hubbell HBL9450A NEMA 14-50 220v. If your household electrical system is up to code, you can choose to revert your Porsche Mobile Charger current setting to 100% or 40A.​

So...I after confirming I am up to code...I am upping to 40A again! Crazy fire drill but at least I am able to get what I expected.
How many KWh is the screen showing inside the car when you set the charger output to 40A?

OP
OP
tomdfw1

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great question and I didn't know so I went and tested. I seemed to recall it should be in the 9.6 kW range while at 40A.

1) When I went to the car, the battery was currently at 57% battery charged
2) I adjusted wall unit to 40A (It was still set at 32A)
3) Plugged in and it initially said it was charging at 6.7kW. That seemed low so I sat longer...
4) After a few minutes it briefly dropped to 2.4 and then popped to 8.7
5) A few minutes later it dropped to 8.6 and 58% charged.

Given the battery was already 57% charged that may explain why I wasn't getting my 9.x kWh but not sure.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Great question and I didn't know so I went and tested. I seemed to recall it should be in the 9.6 kW range while at 40A.

1) When I went to the car, the battery was currently at 57% battery charged
2) I adjusted wall unit to 40A (It was still set at 32A)
3) Plugged in and it initially said it was charging at 6.7kW. That seemed low so I sat longer...
4) After a few minutes it briefly dropped to 2.4 and then popped to 8.7
5) A few minutes later it dropped to 8.6 and 58% charged.

Given the battery was already 57% charged that may explain why I wasn't getting my 9.x kWh but not sure.

Hope this helps!
It is indeed 8.7 kW at the car, and it’ll do the same through full. Any deviations are “powering down” or up. Here’s a typical charging graph (as captured at the EVSE):
Porsche Taycan Porsche blessing 40A on Mobile Charger Connect 1692674664635

The stops are pauses as the car is delaying the final few kWh for closer to the target time.

OP
OP
tomdfw1

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is indeed 8.7 kW at the car, and it’ll do the same through full. Any deviations are “powering down” or up. Here’s a typical charging graph (as captured at the EVSE):
1692674664635.png

The stops are pauses as the car is delaying the final few kWh for closer to the target time.
This graph seems to depict getting the 9.6 as I expected...Why am I only seeing 8.7 from my car?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche shows how much power is "hitting" the battery - the difference is "loss" in the AC/DC conversion and charging overhead.

8.7 is just about right for a "raw" 9.6 kW - this is discussed in many previous threads

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-charger-48-amps-not-max-9-6-kw-40-amps.1793/

the Porsche EVSE is drawing 9.6 kW from the electricial grid - it is transmitting 9.6 kW via the J-1772 power cord into the vehicle's on board systems - there is a "raw" capacity of 9.6 kW being provided to the vehicle - however as a result of charging overhead and AC power to DC power conversion losses only 8.7 kW is actually adding to the batterie's "capacity" - 9.6 kW - 8.7 kW = 0.9 kW "loss" in the charging process - or about 10% "loss" - this is in line with industry norm's and electrical systems for this sort of thing - nothing is 100% efficient and there is alway some loss on conversions…

Porsche has made a choice in their in vehicle display to not show the "raw" power being delivered to the vehicle, but rather show the actual amount of power contributing to the battery's capacity - 8.7 kW is reasonable given a 10% loss factor common in AC/DC charging systems…

8.7 kW is also exactly the same as every other Taycan owner who is charging at a 9.6 kW "raw" charging rate.

nothing to see here - move on.

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I am getting above 10kW no problem with my Emporia EVSE since I am going by 11kW raw with 48Amp out (directly wired) of it with small losses resulting in 10.x reporting at the car. I do not need to worry myself with some Hubble sockets and overheated cables.

The OP is using 40Amp out to get 9.6kW raw so after losses 8.7kW should be about right. However, why use Porsche EVSE unless it is free.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How many KWh is the screen showing inside the car when you set the charger output to 40A?
small correction - it's KW _NOT_ kWh

kW stands for kilo-watt's - or 1000 watts - a watt is a unit of measure of power (force)
kWh stands for kilo-watt hours - of 1000 watts for one hour - this is a unit of energy (capacity)

kWh's is what you at billed on your electrical bill - it's a measure of accumulated power over time…

your Taycan's battery is rated in kWh's - 93 kWh raw capacity - 84.3 kWh usable

a charge rate is a measure of force/power expressed in kW's

charging at 8.7 kW for one hour means you will add 8.7 kWh's to the battery for each hour of charging…

given the known battery capacity (83.4 kWh) and the known charge rate (8.7 kW) we can predict how long it takes to charge the vehicle - 83.4 kWh / 8.7 kW = 9.56 hours - that is how long it takes to accumulate 83.4 kWh's with a charge rate of 8.7 kW…

you will be billed on your electrical meter for 9.65 hours * 9.6 kW = or about 92 kWh's will show up your electrical bill for the 83.4 kWh's that landed in the battery.

kw is how much power is being delivered at any given moment (water flow)
kWh is how much energy/power has been accumulated in the battery (bath tub)

the vehicle show's kW during charing - note the lack of "h"

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
kW stands for kilo-watt's - or 1000 watts - a watt is a unit of measure of power (force)
Small correction that force is actually a separate unit. Force times distance over time would be power.
kw is how much power is being delivered at any given moment (water flow)
kWh is how much energy/power has been accumulated in the battery (bath tub)
Yes, excellent analogy! But it is just energy. Not energy/power (which I read as either/or, but the battery doesn’t accumulate power). Energy is the water. Bathtub is the battery. Flow rate is the power.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Small correction that force is actually a separate unit. Force times distance over time would be power.

Yes, excellent analogy! But it is just energy. Not energy/power (which I read as either/or, but the battery doesn’t accumulate power). Energy is the water. Bathtub is the battery. Flow rate is the power.
Very interesting thread.

As long as we’re talking about energy consumption, do we have pretty generally understood and agreed upon rates on consumption per mile, say for city driving and for highway driving? I’m interested to see how I am doing. Based on my ”fill ups“, I’m getting total estimated range of about 270 miles based on my driving style. Steve

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In the US the Mobile Charger Connect software was remotely changed by Porsche in the summer of 2022 to error out the charging session if "something" got "too hot." This change also forces the default to 20 AMPS each time the Mobile Charge Connect is started, forcing the user to manually increase the charging amperage.

I have a 50 AMP circuit and NEMA 14-50 outlet that were installed to electrical code requirements. Yet, the Mobile Charger Connect still errors out after a few hours at even 30 AMPS.

Porsche is covering their tail for liability while promoting a product they misrepresent. Bad form.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very interesting thread.

As long as we’re talking about energy consumption, do we have pretty generally understood and agreed upon rates on consumption per mile, say for city driving and for highway driving? I’m interested to see how I am doing. Based on my ”fill ups“, I’m getting total estimated range of about 270 miles based on my driving style. Steve

My 4S achieves 290+ miles of range when charged to 100% and 250+ miles when charged to 85%. I live in a warm climate.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very interesting thread.

you can get this data from my.porsche login or trip computer in the vehicle

my consumption for the last 25,xxx miles on my 2020 Taycan Turbo is right at 3.0 mile/kWh - so we can start there for comparision

JCB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag

Firstly, how did you get Porsche to respond to you? I have tried emailing them twice and only get the auto reply 'We got your mail'.
Has anyone heard wether they are going to replace the defective chargers with one that actually can safely charge at 100%?
Sponsored