da2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
i missed Ireland. Sorry about that. But as far as i know, there is no other country.. am i right now?

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
i missed Ireland. Sorry about that. But as far as i know, there is no other country.. am i right now?
Both Malta and Cyprus (part of the Island) are in the EU and have right-hand drive. If you think about it, its most of the European island nations that drive on the left (right-hand drive), except for The Canneries and places like Madeira.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You need a geography lesson my friend. Being outside of the EU does not mean the country has simply left Europe as a continent... :)
I know!
Seems it is back to the days of Henrik VIII that Britain left Europe though!

The moment Britain became an island http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12244964

"In plans for the elaborate coastal defences that Henry commissioned we can see how England no longer defined itself as part of Europe, but as separate from it - a nation apart," he wrote in the Camden New Journal.“

Just joking!

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It seems gratuitous to install yet another camera on the Taycan as it already has multiple cameras that cover every conceivable angle. Couldn't this be something Porsche implements via software or a FoD later? Like Tesla's Sentry Mode, this would be a fantastic and useful feature that has the potential to protect the driver from all manner of mischief and liability and it would be far less expensive and far more attractive than the $2200 upcharge represented with this add-on camera.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
@Scotty Did you happen to have/keep the installation instructions (in Germany)? It would be very helpful to see what fuse slots, etc, that Porsche officially are using to wire this into the left-hand side fuse box.
The manual for Porsche Dashcam is 230 pages in various languages . Here is the english section. I will research the install but the mechanic had only 1 sheet and all it showed was the camera installed on the right side. Sorry re the confusion re Europe but after we moved the camera the mechanic said he thought of European cars with right side driving. Again the camera blocks view if mounted on left side.
@Scotty Did you happen to have/keep the installation instructions (in Germany)? It would be very helpful to see what fuse slots, etc, that Porsche officially are using to wire this into the left-hand side fuse box.
Only install instructions showed placement of camera on left side. But this blocks drivers view. Attached are the english guide from the 230 page dashcam guide that is in various languages
Here is the manual that is in the Porsche Dashcam application. I will try and get the fuse slot info from the mechanic. Note the manual refers to vehicle battery monitoring, the camera monitors its own energy use and in order to protect the vehicle battery and maintain operational. This is critical for the Taycan with its' 12 v battery. Do other cameras do this? This is why Porsche wants only this camera in the Taycan I think. The parking mode interacts with the Taycan's radar sensors so if someone hits car while parked the camera activates. The question Taycan owners have to ask do you want to risk putting a non Porsche part in your $150K car and have it potentially void your warranty? This is probably why the manual states have a Porsche partner do the installation ( and they can charge $1700 just to install). I think its worth it if i am involved in an accident and In CA the other driver almost always claims they were not at fault.

Attachments

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
"It took the mechanic 7 hours to install."

Wow.. I installed a hard-wired radar detector, mounted in the same area - took me 30 minutes and it was the first time I did it.
Maybe you didn't charge yourself by the hour? ;-)

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
My dealer installed the new Porsche Dashcam [more info] in my Taycan 4s. Here is an overview of the entire process and costs>

1. Took two weeks to receive the dashcam from Germany. The Porsche dealer said the retail price they charge is $650. SuncoastParts.com sells the same dashcam for $475. I got my dealer to drop the price to $500.

2. The dashcam comes without english instructions. The manual is in German. The Taycan mechanic who did the installation told me the install is the same for most Porches regardless if gas or electric. It has to be hardwired to the fuse box under the drivers side of the Taycan and a neutral wire also needs to be installed. It is a difficult job because of all the modules in that area. It took the mechanic 7 hours to install. The Porsche Instructions call for the dashcam to be mounted on the left side (drivers side for usa) of the mirror. However this is wrong for USA cars since in Europe cars have driver side on the right. When mounted per Porsche instructions on the drivers side ,the view when driving is partially blocked by the dashcam. I pointed this out and had them move the camera to the right of the mirror where it is completely hidden.

3. The set up for the application on your phone is simple. The dashcam has its own wifi and password. Open phone settings/wifi connect to Porsche dasham and enter the password. Once you open the application you set your preferences regarding recordings/ driving/ parking/ shock etc. Also there is a section of the application called recorded events where you can view the recordings.

4. The camera is very good, the phone application is good, however the overall price is a lot. Your looking at about $2200 total. It has to be installed by Porsche in order to not void portions of the warranty.

IMG_5848.jpeg

IMG_5847.PNG
RE Question how the cam was wired. It was wired by Porsche using two unique/unused fuse locations. One location for battery power and one location for ignition power

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think its worth it if i am involved in an accident and In CA the other driver almost always claims they were not at fault.
With less than $2200 you can upgrade your insurance coverage to pay for the damage no matter whose fault was :)
Sponsored