DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I got my camera installed today and I am happy to report my service department did a great job, installing it exactly where I wanted.

View from the driving position. Almost completely out of the way, wire going up into the large plastic trim. They asked before filing out a notch in it for the cable. which I appreciated.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners IMG_1053

Another view from the driver's seat.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners IMG_1055

peeking under the mirror to get a good look at the thing.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners IMG_1056

View from the front.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners IMG_1057

Interestingly, the app can connect to the camera's wifi, or you can configure the camera to connect to the car's wifi, if you have the hotspot.

I am thinking of turning that on and connecting it to see what happens...do you think the camera can send me push notifications for events in that configuration?

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks! Very interesting that they recommend a voltage cutoff of 13V for the taycan, but also recommend parking mode to be off for the taycan. Not that it matters much as parking mode seems to be limited to only 1 hour ! :rolleyes:

(As an aside, I'm currently measuring and it seems an automatic recharge happens around 13.02V but that might still be +- a bit.. to be continued)

Now we just need to find the "
Workshop Manual
'Removing and installing A-pillar trim panel'" that is alluded to in this manual :cool:

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks! Very interesting that they recommend a voltage cutoff of 13V for the taycan, but also recommend parking mode to be off for the taycan. Not that it matters much as parking mode seems to be limited to only 1 hour ! :rolleyes:
I'm not sure on that, from the way I read that shop manual, the 1hr cutoff is disabled for the Taycan, 1hr for other vehicles. I'll go into diagnostics and make sure mine is set to off. :)

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm not sure on that, from the way I read that shop manual, the 1hr cutoff is disabled for the Taycan, 1hr for other vehicles. I'll go into diagnostics and make sure mine is set to off. :)
Ah yes, I think I misread this and you are right. But what does it mean then that parking mode is recommended to be off for the taycan? Is it on for you?

Bigal1267

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' GTS ST & 22 XC 90 T8 Recharge
Country flag
I got my camera installed today and I am happy to report my service department did a great job, installing it exactly where I wanted.

View from the driving position. Almost completely out of the way, wire going up into the large plastic trim. They asked before filing out a notch in it for the cable. which I appreciated.

IMG_1053.jpeg

Another view from the driver's seat.

IMG_1055.jpeg

peeking under the mirror to get a good look at the thing.

IMG_1056.jpeg

View from the front.

IMG_1057.jpeg

Interestingly, the app can connect to the camera's wifi, or you can configure the camera to connect to the car's wifi, if you have the hotspot.

I am thinking of turning that on and connecting it to see what happens...do you think the camera can send me push notifications for events in that configuration?
It was done by Grapevine Porsche? Would you be able to share how many hours?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
It was done by Grapevine Porsche? Would you be able to share how many hours?
No, I do my service at Porsche McKinney.

It took them most of the day - it was their first one, they shared - and cost me just under $1000 for labor before tax.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Ah yes, I think I misread this and you are right. But what does it mean then that parking mode is recommended to be off for the taycan? Is it on for you?
Definitely on. I think that setting is default as toggling it is something that can be done in user-space on the phone app.

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag

It took them most of the day - it was their first one, they shared - and cost me just under $1000 for labor before tax.
McKinney has a Porsche dealer?! My, have times changed! 😆

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I turned on the in-vehicle hotspot, and configured the camera to use it.

Near as I can tell this just alleviates the hassle of connecting to / disconnecting from the camera's wifi. It also ensures your phone connects to a hotspot that works, so you can just let the phone connect to your car and leave it alone.

I doubt it will do any kind of push notifications as I found that once I shut off the car, the hotspot was gone. Interesting because the app does request push notification permissions.

I also went into diagnostics and disabled the 1hr timer per the manual's recommendation. We'll see if I regret that decision or not :). Probably not since it does monitor the voltage and shuts itself off if it gets too low.

Cooper63

First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (2022)
Country flag
My only concern with a dash cam is people breaking the window and trying to steal it.
With all these window breaking people, I don't want anything on my car that would attract them.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag

Sorry, you might have said this and I missed it in the 12 pages of comments, but did you have the pre-wiring option selected? Hoping it wasn't $1,000 if you have it pre-wired.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Sorry, you might have said this and I missed it in the 12 pages of comments, but did you have the pre-wiring option selected? Hoping it wasn't $1,000 if you have it pre-wired.
No pre-wire, and still $1000.

As I understand it, pre-wire is a factory installed run from front to back for the rear camera. They still have to do a run to the fuse box for the front one regardless.
Sponsored