Porsche Protection Plan - good or bad deal?

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
About to submit final payment for my Taycan GTS and had a question about the protection plan they offered, and am wondering if it’s a good or bad deal. It’s $3995 for 4 years of the following:

Tire & Wheel: Replacement of the tire/wheel if damaged due road hazards, potholes, debris, or nails; tires are never plugged, always replaced. Cosmetic repair for wheel damage such as curb-rash or scrapes. Towing expenses reimbursement. $50 Deducible.

Dent: Repairs dents, such as door dings, that can appear on your vehicle. Covers cost for hail damage repair up to up to $1,000 per incident. Repairs chips and cracks in the front windshield caused by propelled rocks or road debris.

Windshield: Repairs chips and cracks in the front windshield caused by propelled rocks or road debris. Includes unlimited repairs and one OEM Porsche replacement of the front windshield.

Key Replacement: Porsche covers the replacement of the vehicle key if lost or damaged. Lockout assistance to unlock the vehicle. 24-hour home lockout assistance to unlock your home, includes locksmith reimbursement.
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
If you typically get this type of wear and tear damage on your vehicle, then its not unreasonable in terms of insurance. For me, I prefer to be self insured as I rarely get this type of damage and can deal with it if/when it occurs. Of course, it helps that I buy my cars outright upfront.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
It's just more upsell the dealer. I always go the self insured path and I'm way ahead.

My car insurance covers windshield repairs/replacement, no issue with getting OEM glass. No hit on my insurance rate.

I'm sure if they offered a protection plan in case the car was rained on, people would buy it.... 😀

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
If you want these plans there’s some vendor on Rennlist selling them for much cheaper, like < $2k for 5 years, $0 deductible with the highest plan (Fidelity Superior Plus), but I don‘t think they have the FOB replacement.

AddAlfa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
I got the tire and wheel coverage. Paid $1800 for three years. Already scuffed a rim and they repaired it. The GTS wheels and tires are expensive. Wanted the peace of mind.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Man, how do you guys get it for $1800. I tried my best negotiation skills and only got $3xxx for 7 years. Forgot exact amount.
@wurzitup - they told me $1800 was cost, so you got it a great deal at 6 years. they wouldn't budge for me.

-ThinkMac-

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Man, how do you guys get it for $1800. I tried my best negotiation skills and only got $3xxx for 7 years. Forgot exact amount.
@wurzitup - they told me $1800 was cost, so you got it a great deal at 6 years. they wouldn't budge for me.

-ThinkMac-
They had already heard I had negotiated PPF and tint from a third party for myself and another Forum member on the same ship coming over a screaming deal, so the finance guy in a last ditch attempt to make some money after losing out the PPF and stuff said he had just gutted the price of the wheel/tire insurance in an attempt to get my business. I didn't but it until about a month after delivery. The tires are crazy expensive, and the Mission E is ridiculously expensive too so I knew the first time I curbed one of those and hadn't bought it I'd be kicking myself.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Feels expensive / not worth. I assume your car has comprehensive insurance coverage, so any major items like hail or parking lot sideswipes, etc. should be covered by that. So you're really talking about covering minor stuff that's below your insurance deductible.

I wouldn't expect getting $4k in damage over 4 years. That has to be a lot of damage to break even - pretty much everything that can go wrong needs to, including windshield replacement, bending a wheel, multiple dents

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got the same insurance, Porsche Premier Tire & Wheel, Dent Protection, Windshield Protection, and Key Protection for 6 years for $3700. They originally had a different insurer but I insisted they change it to the Porsche insurance.

I'm sure that is well above the dealer cost, but hey, they sold me my car at MSRP so I was willing to give a bit on the insurance.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I got tire and wheel and windshield for $2700 for 3 years.

I've received two new tires in 8 months. It's paid for half of it already. Was worth it for me.

Nyck80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I got it for $3000 (down from $3800) for 3 years, I didn’t do much research ahead of time and therefore was not in a good negotiation position. My mistake.
But I’m ok with it, I wanted peace of mind, and even if I don’t use the full amount the extra money was worth it for me to not have to worry about it.

I live in the NY Tri-State area with terrible roads! I drove BMWs for 13 years with run flats. Had 2 bent wheels on a 5 Series, 2 bent wheels with a 650 Grand Coupe and multiple bubbles or flats. Probably also partially caused by my driving style ;-)
I was in the lucky position to get them replaced for free since they were all company cars. The Taycan is really my first car I buy for myself, so I’ll assess after 3 years if it was worth for the next car.

My thought process was that I have 21” wheels on a super heavy EV car, the likelihood of something happening is probably pretty high.

Mikegrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sl550, corvette c7
Country flag
I got wheel and tire…already used it as I nicked a curb. What an idiot!?

22gts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 taycan gts
Country flag
Windshield is typically covered by insurance, no?

The rest of those can be purchased as a package here, for a much better price. Underwritten by fidelity. I paid $1600 for wheel tire only. Probably closer to 2k with the key/dent adds.
https://direct.darwinautomotive.com/

You can also get an extended warranty through them.
Sponsored