Thinking about trading my E63S Wagon for 4S CT - Is this a good or bad idea?

What would you do?

• Total voters

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S, Volvo XC90, BMW X3
Country flag
I agree 100% with the 'I am an aware shopper' mindset. I know what I'm getting myself into and I am still choosing to do it!
That was the exact view I had with my wife. We are savvy and reasonable with our other spending and investment decisions. But we work insane hours, and I wanted her to have something that puts a huge smile on her face in exactly how she wants it. Very aware of depreciation, etc. It was not an economic decision; it was - to get something that would reduce the likelihood of burnout.
I was, BTW, very surprised how insurance wasn't like 30% more than our '18 XC90T8

When you start looking at the costs, just go with Lexus or Toyota. But where is the joy then.

I ended up doing this to the car, so the last detail is right :) What is another $6K to get to perfection (cheaper than PTS, especially if you want satin)

Porsche Taycan Thinking about trading my E63S Wagon for 4S CT - Is this a good or bad idea? 97f10e7d3f5140205af4d32f33c56a851ce8760a-1
Sponsored

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
U.S. ICE fueing, look in the 3rd column here for Premium:
https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/
... and yes, California really is that much higher.

EV home charging, varies so much even within a region.
For example, Amherst MA, $0.37/kWh.
Burlington VT (my wife's brother), the current EV charging rate is $0.089/kWh: https://www.burlingtonelectric.com/evrate ... so long as you *never* charge from noon to 10pm (which apparently would void all such special savings for the entire month).
For EV one-time purchase and installation costs, also varies enormously by location (besides the federal tax deduction). I got $700 last year in MA. Looks like for the soon-to-be-acquired ski house in NH I get ... nothing. (Unless Porsche pays for my Tesla Universal Wall Charger as the substitute for their flawed mobile EVSE.)

EA unlimited free 30-minute sessions (with approximately 3-second time in between sessions), that's exactly what I thought at first -- just do work on my laptop, what's the rush?
After a few such episodes of that frustration, I happily paid ~$0.50/kWh for Magic Docks instead (Brewster NY & Enfield CT).
U.S. ICE fueing, look in the 3rd column here for Premium:
https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/
... and yes, California really is that much higher.

EV home charging, varies so much even within a region.
For example, Amherst MA, $0.37/kWh.
Burlington VT (my wife's brother), the current EV charging rate is $0.089/kWh: https://www.burlingtonelectric.com/evrate ... so long as you *never* charge from noon to 10pm (which apparently would void all such special savings for the entire month).
For EV one-time purchase and installation costs, also varies enormously by location (besides the federal tax deduction). I got $700 last year in MA. Looks like for the soon-to-be-acquired ski house in NH I get ... nothing. (Unless Porsche pays for my Tesla Universal Wall Charger as the substitute for their flawed mobile EVSE.)

EA unlimited free 30-minute sessions (with approximately 3-second time in between sessions), that's exactly what I thought at first -- just do work on my laptop, what's the rush?
After a few such episodes of that frustration, I happily paid ~$0.50/kWh for Magic Docks instead (Brewster NY & Enfield CT).
Wow I had no idea how cheap my electricity is in SC. I pay $0.11/kwh off peak (17 hours a day is off peak-actual times change dependent on season) and $0.25/kwh on peak (never had to charge on peak hours). So 93 kw battery x 11 cents /kwh is $10.23 for a full charge. Conservative range of 215 miles gives me a cost per mile of $.0475. #love SC

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
While younger me would say, I would have a very hard time parting ways with E63S Wagon (because they are ideal ICEs in my head)... after going full EV, I just do not miss ICE. And this comes from a guy who would replace CAT-back before the new car hit 1st 500 miles. I was intoxicated by Jag's exhaust pops. Etc. Somehow I don't miss it at all. Frankly, I started noticing how obnoxious it is when I can hear some dude coming my way blocks away. I used to be that dude...

How if space is important, I would struggle with CT. We have XC90 for longer trips or when I need to load a bunch of stuff. Taycan is a fun family car... it is not a practical family car (if you are 2+2)
Drove a friend’s C63 AMG S the other day. Matte grey, limo-tint on the windows, “badass” car in every traditional sense of the word. As a matter of fact, during the drive a neighboring driver rolled down his window and yelled “Badass ride, dude!!”

Despite all of that, every moment I drove it I was flat embarrassed by the LOUD exhaust (exhaust flaps open, because of course they were!) and how very showoff-y it was.

He then wanted to stage a quick drag race, despite both of us knowing the outcome beforehand. I let him go first, waiting to start until his rear bumper passed my driver’s window. I shot past him (silently) as if he were standing still.

Moral of the story: he loves his car, and I wouldn't be caught dead driving it.

OP: be sure what’s really important to
you before making the switch.

Have fun and let us know what happens!
Sponsored

Last edited: