PORSHE TAYCAN TURBO missing electric steering wheel due to parts shortage? Really?

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Porsche’s probably trying to balance the tension of revenue recognition plus the ports of entry bursting at the seams with misfit cars, with customer satisfaction.
Sponsored

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As has been mentioned for other models, this has been discussed on the 911 forum in Rennlist for some time. Some customers have received notification from Porsche beforehand, most others not. I'd expect that there would at least be some generic statement made and rationale, but I can't fault their overall strategy - just communication. And with regard to the steering column, what I understand is that they are able to adjust it to your "fit" at delivery, but then it's of course not adjustable until the fix. It's across the product line and similar issues across manufacturers. Haven't seen complaints from the 911 owners - happy to have their cars in this environment. Mine is nearing the US port and I'd rather have it this way than wait another 6 months. I suspect most other Taycan buyers are the same, but if you're not -go ahead and refuse it and try your luck somewhere else. I suspect you'll be waiting a long time.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
It is unacceptable habit from any manufacturer, especially from a top premium one. Yes, chip issue is general, but the price of it should be covered not 100% by the customer especially opposite.
NORMAL WAY SHOULD BE:
- Inform the customer in advance with full details.
- Offering a choice to take or not the car next to a massive immediate discount in both cases.
Getting second key later on is not a big issue alone. Changing the steering column, it is. Lot of parts have to be taken apart, big chance for scratches on neighbor elements, possible rattles and squeaks afterwards next to the time consuming works.
Porsche wants to keep up record sales numbers putting all the costs to their customers. SHAME.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As has been mentioned for other models, this has been discussed on the 911 forum in Rennlist for some time. Some customers have received notification from Porsche beforehand, most others not. I'd expect that there would at least be some generic statement made and rationale, but I can't fault their overall strategy - just communication. And with regard to the steering column, what I understand is that they are able to adjust it to your "fit" at delivery, but then it's of course not adjustable until the fix. It's across the product line and similar issues across manufacturers. Haven't seen complaints from the 911 owners - happy to have their cars in this environment. Mine is nearing the US port and I'd rather have it this way than wait another 6 months. I suspect most other Taycan buyers are the same, but if you're not -go ahead and refuse it and try your luck somewhere else. I suspect you'll be waiting a long time.
NO. It arrives with the manually adjustable steering column (according to the original post) and will be replaced with the powered one later on. It is a big and complicating work. So not 'only' chip installation. Maybe you will need to live together with some effects (rattles, squeaks) for the rest of the life time of your car. I think they went too far with this. No 2nd key, no auto light temporarily is not comparable with this, that needs huge mechanical retrofitting.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
- Offering a choice to take or not the car next to a massive immediate discount in both cases.
…what is the discount on if you don’t take the car?

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
…what is the discount on if you don’t take the car?
For your wasted (waiting) time and reserved deposit. But especially for that, you contracted for a car that arrives on time/according to your configuration. If they say at the order, hey you may will not receive your car according to the spec, you maybe not order or go to other brand.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
NO. It arrives with the manually adjustable steering column (according to the original post) and will be replaced with the powered one later on. It is a big and complicating work. So not 'only' chip installation. Maybe you will need to live together with some effects (rattles, squeaks) for the rest of the life time of your car. I think they went too far with this. No 2nd key, no auto light temporarily is not comparable with this, that needs huge mechanical retrofitting.
I have spoken on the phone with the senior service tech at my dealership about the "retrofit." He is very familiar with the temp fix and what needs to be done later and described it as "not complicated." He will show me the specifics if mine shows up without the part. He replaced the PCM on my Panamera Turbo when it was new and said that was a lot more complicated than the steering column fix. If you have more specifics on the "huge mechanical retrofitting" then please educate us on that and your source.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For your wasted (waiting) time and reserved deposit. But especially for that, you contracted for a car that arrives on time/according to your configuration. If they say at the order, hey you may will not receive your car according to the spec, you maybe not order or go to other brand.
Lol…okay. Good luck with that.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
.... I mean discount on your substitute order, or cash payment if you fully withdraw.
A cash payment for what? Do you mean a deposit refund? I could understand that.

But if you think they should pay you to not buy the car…well…I’ll hold my comment on that for the moment.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A cash payment for what? Do you mean a deposit refund? I could understand that.

But if you think they should pay you to not buy the car…well…I’ll hold my comment on that for the moment.
In my personal opinion yes. They should pay to not buy the car THAT ARRIVED AGAINST YOUR SPEC.
If not we allow the brand to supply us cars equipped randomly, because there are no consequences.

Reactions: B61

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In my personal opinion yes. They should pay to not buy the car THAT ARRIVED AGAINST YOUR SPEC.
If not we allow the brand to supply us cars equipped randomly, because there are no consequences.
The consequence to them is that you don’t buy the car. ?‍♂

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have spoken on the phone with the senior service tech at my dealership about the "retrofit." He is very familiar with the temp fix and what needs to be done later and described it as "not complicated." He will show me the specifics if mine shows up without the part. He replaced the PCM on my Panamera Turbo when it was new and said that was a lot more complicated than the steering column fix. If you have more specifics on the "huge mechanical retrofitting" then please educate us on that and your source.
It is good news! Just supposed, manual/powered steering columns are two different things with a 'handle' on the left side for manual and switch on the middle/bottom of the steering column. Finally communication is a good think, especially if they are ready to involve the customer with technical details. It gives to the situation a different view.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The consequence to them is that you don’t buy the car. ?‍♂
Come on... I do not buy the car that arrived against my spec. If everything is ok I buy happily.
But this is my way, do not take it personally...
Sponsored

Reactions: B61