PORSHE TAYCAN TURBO missing electric steering wheel due to parts shortage? Really?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
IIRC the Autopilot 2 switch was a bit better communicated than the removal of the radar.
Well, I ordered one of my Model S in October or November 2016. They told me it Autopilot would work by end of the year for sure. The damned automatic headlights (day, night, not detecting incoming cars) didn't work till 9 moths later! Automatic wipers, not till 2018. Actual AutoPilot, even longer. So I'd say debatable whether it was better than the radar removal. At least with radar, they tell you features may be missing for a while.

RE: Porsche: just telling people take it or leave it at the point of delivery isn't a great experience either. It's not rare for people to make bigger, non-reversible decisions around car purchases. I've already bought some accessories for the Taycan, prepared a charger in the garage, I'm selling a car etc. That's like an airline telling you: "I know you booked first class, but it's coach for you unless you want to just stay here." and then what? cancel the vacation and hope the hotel offers refunds?
Absolutely agree. I am still waiting on a CT Turbo allocation but already got myself ready to convert my Tesla charger to SAE J1772 80A (planning to buy the 19.6KW upgrade which will utilize the full 80A, but even regular Taycan would use 48A which is more than Porsche mobile charger can provide), but at the same time I am thinking if I change my mind and pull out of Porsche in lieu of Audi, Mercedes, or some other EV, J1172 will come handy no matter what (cheapest 80A charger you can get, but more importantly it balances with my other car, which for now will remain a Tesla, so I'd prefer the charging automatically balances between the cars). Once I replace the 2nd Tesla, I still plan to keep Tesla chargers (converted to J1772) because they can auto balance the 80A between 2 cars. I did once sell my car and the new car was custom order which got delayed, that sucked.
Sponsored

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Picked up my Taycan today. Was hoping that this would be a fun experience. It was the opposite.
I get there, and the usual thing: here it is, isn't it pretty. etc. Then we go through the trade-in steps. So far so good. Agreed upon value, they have another look at the 911, they take the keys... alright.
That was the old one. Now to the new one...

Then comes the nice suprise. That number agreed upon 3 months ago that I paid 10+K down payment for? We changed it. Porsche increased the MF, so it's now $xx per month.
After a bunch of back and forth, off we go to see the manager. Who insists: not his fault, Porsche changed the MF from Q2 to Q3. He wrote it down on paper.

I insist on seeing it on the screen. They show me a bunch of screens that are all non-Porsche.

I go to the current leasing offers from Porsche on Porsche.com, show them the deals and explain that they represent the same 54% residual and 0.002MF that had been in place 3 months ago. I had also kept the screen shots from then, and showed it all to them.

We argue back and forth for hours. It was a 2 hour appointment, I spent 4 hours there. Literally - I am so not kidding.

In the end, clicking through screens to show me something, I spot the official Porsche MF, and yes, it's still 0.002. I point it out - their answer " I never said we were not a profit making business". Sure. But you also LIED TO MY FACE.

So they agree to the MF we had settled on back then again. But now they sneak in a new fee, they argue they can't waive it. In the end, I succeeded in getting them to increase the value of the trade-in by the same amount. ("Trade-in value, MF and discount are all aspects you can change, I don't care which one").

Then I spent another 1 hour in finance, helping them set it up so the trade-in correctly reduces/removes my sales tax burden. I spent something like 20 min explaining to them how one version of their contract was counting the existing lien on the 911 twice. JFC.

Oh, and they also told me about the steering wheel manual adjustment item AFTER I'd signed away my 911. I had previously asked about "anything outstanding, any recalls?" and they had me sign a piece of paper that said "no recalls, everything up to date and A-OK with your car". Silly me, I thought that meant it would be shipped in FULL WORKING order.

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
Picked up my Taycan today. Was hoping that this would be a fun experience. It was the opposite.
I get there, and the usual thing: here it is, isn't it pretty. etc. Then we go through the trade-in steps. So far so good. Agreed upon value, they have another look at the 911, they take the keys... alright.

Then comes the nice suprise. That number agreed upon 3 months ago that I paid 10+K down payment for? We changed it. Porsche increased the MF, so it's now $xx per month.
After a bunch of back and forth, off we go to see the manager. Who insists: not his fault, Porsche changed the MF from Q2 to Q3. He wrote it down on paper.

I insist on seeing it on the screen. They show me a bunch of screens that are all non-Porsche.

I go to the current leasing offers from Porsche on Porsche.com, show them the deals and explain that they represent the same 54% residual and 0.002MF that had been in place 3 months ago. I had also kept the screen shots from then, and showed it all to them.

We argue back and forth for hours. It was a 2 hour appointment, I spent 4 hours there. Literally - I am so not kidding.

In the end, clicking through screens to show me something, I spot the official Porsche MF, and yes, it's still 0.002. I point it out - their answer " I never said we were not a profit making business". Sure. But you also LIED TO MY FACE.

So they agree to the MF we had settled on back then again. But now they sneak in a new fee, they argue they can't waive it. In the end, I succeeded in getting them to increase the value of the trade-in by the same amount. ("Trade-in value, MF and discount are all aspects you can change, I don't care which one").

Then I spent another 1 hour in finance, helping them set it up so the trade-in correctly reduces/removes my sales tax burden. I spent something like 20 min explaining to them how one version of their contract was counting the existing lien on the 911 twice. JFC.

Oh, and they also told me about the steering wheel manual adjustment item AFTER I'd signed away my 911. I had previously asked about "anything outstanding, any recalls?" and they had me sign a piece of paper that said "no recalls, everything up to date and A-OK with your car". Silly me, I thought that meant it would be shipped in FULL WORKING order.
You’re obviously a better person than me. I could not deal with a Dealership like that. I’ve been lucky and have never had a problem with my Dealership.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag

Personally I would never give this dealership another penny in business. This is why car dealers, in general, have such a bad reputation. Be fair with your customers - honor the agreements you make - and get recurring business. These games are so short sighted.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Personally I would never give this dealership another penny in business. This is why car dealers, in general, have such a bad reputation. Be fair with your customers - honor the agreements you make - and get recurring business. These games are so short sighted.

I was close to just leaving. Really close. But that would have been giving up on the Taycan. And it's not like there's a decent dealership across the street. Unless I'm buying a Tesla, I'm dealing with AutoNation here in Seattle. It was still really really close.

I can forgive a lot of honest mistakes and blunders and even overly optimistic statements. But bald faced lies literally written down black on white on paper... They are lucky Porsche makes such good cars. Any other make and I'd have left and opened the app to order a tesla.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I was close to just leaving. Really close. But that would have been giving up on the Taycan. And it's not like there's a decent dealership across the street. Unless I'm buying a Tesla, I'm dealing with AutoNation here in Seattle. It was still really really close.

I can forgive a lot of honest mistakes and blunders and even overly optimistic statements. But bald faced lies literally written down black on white on paper... They are lucky Porsche makes such good cars. Any other make and I'd have left and opened the app to order a tesla.
It's always hard to walk away from a great car, especially one you've been waiting for, but if you are not willing, they can take advantage of that.

As a side note, dealers must deal a whole lot who fall for their tricks or else they wouldn't be doing it. My guess it's a combination of people not being able to do basic math (I mean basic, "ok, you win, we'll give you $5,000 off the price of the car, your payment will be $8 less per month" doesn't raise any red flags), and the fallacy of "oh well, I am spending $100K, what's a thousand more" - the latter one always amuses me, if you ask someone if they were buying a car and realized later at home that the dealer sneaked in a $100 fee, so many people say "who cares". But if instead you ask them "what if on your way home from the dealer with the new car , a local coffee shop charges you $100 too much for your coffee", the same person would be willing to fight the charge tooth and nail. Same $100 in both scenarios, minutes apart, and yet one is a "who cares" and the other "they ripped me off, I'm calling my bank". Go figure.

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
I assume you mean Bellevue. Not sure why you bother.

I’ve bought my last 2 Porsches from Oregon (Bend and Beaverton) and service my cars up in Bellingham. A good friend of mine just bought in Bellingham and had an excellent experience. It’s not even that far (1.5hrs).

My most recent experience with Bellevue was doing the loss of power recall. I only called them since I was concerned about safety. 1 month wait time. Called my usual service rep in Bellingham (Elliot) and he said “come up today. I’ll make room since it’s a safety issue. Get you out in 45 mins”. Had my dashcam installed up there too. Car wasn’t ready same day so Bellingham shipped car back in enclosed trailer to my door. That’s service.

Note, there’s a local DriveClub in Redmond and the Porsche owners all go to Bellingham for their work. No one deals with Bellevue.

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can back for round 2 cause I cannot stand Bellevue. I feel your pain so hard.

my prior 12v issue I HAD to tow it to them and they looked me in the face and tried to charge me for the tow and labor saying it was my issue my 2 week old $200k+ car bricked. Not to mention my car wasn’t charged when they had it for 3 days and drained it to 30% battery.

ive said this before about them. They are a bunch of volume Macan peddlers (no offense to Macan owners) to tech bros here. They don’t need your business to keep alive. They have almost an unlimited number of amazon engineers they can sell a $50-$60k car to. They can get away with the shady tactics they pull cause those buyers don’t know any better.

lastly, when trying to my first 911 from them years back. They made me wait multiple months for an allocation only to be told they couldn’t get one. I remember week and week them saying “You’re next in line” only to see them spec and take delivery of lot units.

same feedback goes to BMW Bellevue who are also owned by Autonation.

Last edited:

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Curious to know if this is typical across Autonation dealerships. I know they have several Porsche dealerships and are looking to add more. Anyone have experience with any of them?

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Curious to know if this is typical across Autonation dealerships. I know they have several Porsche dealerships and are looking to add more. Anyone have experience with any of them?
We bought an F-150 (very different market) from Autonation Ford in Marietta, GA. It was an excellent experience, although partly that was because our experience at another Ford dealership was so poor.

We first went to Jim Tidwell Ford in Kennesaw (GA) because we'd bought my wife's Escape there. They managed to turn a $50k truck into a $1k/mo payment. When we balked, they reduced it to $950/mo, but increased the loan term to 72 months. Flat-out refused to show us the total purchase price, so I don't even know how they managed to create those numbers. They offered us $7k on our Escape, which had a KBB dealer trade-in value of $15k. They turned off the A/C in the room and claimed it was broken. (This was in July.) And when we laughed in their faces at these insulting offers and walked out, they claimed to have lost the keys to our Escape. We informed them (loudly) that if they didn't produce the keys by the time we walked through the showroom to the parking lot we were calling the police, and funny, they found them right away!

Jase700

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Porsche Bethesda tried to tell me the money factor on my Taycan CT lease was going to be .0032. Then I told them it was exorbitant and that I'd just buy it. I had already contacted bank of america to get a loan and then they tried to ask me to finance through them. Now they will probably get nothing on the financing.. too bad for them. Definitely pissed me off.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Man, I'm really glad I've had no bullshit from either my Porsche dealer or my main Audi dealer here. I can't imagine them trying any bullshit with most rich tech folk, as most of everything is done by email, and we can do math...

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
We bought an F-150 (very different market) from Autonation Ford in Marietta, GA. It was an excellent experience, although partly that was because our experience at another Ford dealership was so poor.

We first went to Jim Tidwell Ford in Kennesaw (GA) because we'd bought my wife's Escape there. They managed to turn a $50k truck into a $1k/mo payment. When we balked, they reduced it to $950/mo, but increased the loan term to 72 months. Flat-out refused to show us the total purchase price, so I don't even know how they managed to create those numbers. They offered us $7k on our Escape, which had a KBB dealer trade-in value of $15k. They turned off the A/C in the room and claimed it was broken. (This was in July.) And when we laughed in their faces at these insulting offers and walked out, they claimed to have lost the keys to our Escape. We informed them (loudly) that if they didn't produce the keys by the time we walked through the showroom to the parking lot we were calling the police, and funny, they found them right away!
Now that is great. Did they keep calling after you left to try and work a deal? Had a similar incident happen and learned to give them a phone number that is for the house alarm only so they could not bug me.

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Bethesda tried to tell me the money factor on my Taycan CT lease was going to be .0032. Then I told them it was exorbitant and that I'd just buy it. I had already contacted bank of america to get a loan and then they tried to ask me to finance through them. Now they will probably get nothing on the financing.. too bad for them. Definitely pissed me off.
Haha glad I dodged a bullet then. Brother-in-law is in the market for a Turbo S and was chatting with Bethesda. They had an overall 'sketch' vibe to them. Felt consistently they were hiding something. The car was an inventory unit and it had 400+ miles on it. They insisted it was 'new' even though they were willing to throw in CPO to entice the purchase but not budging much on price. No one is gonna pay $200k+ on a car with 400+ miles and sitting on the lot for almost a year.

Reactions: B61

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Haha glad I dodged a bullet then. Brother-in-law is in the market for a Turbo S and was chatting with Bethesda. They had an overall 'sketch' vibe to them. Felt consistently they were hiding something. The car was an inventory unit and it had 400+ miles on it. They insisted it was 'new' even though they were willing to throw in CPO to entice the purchase but not budging much on price. No one is gonna pay $200k+ on a car with 400+ miles and sitting on the lot for almost a year.
And if it is not new, he would not qualify for the $7,500 tax credit (CPO makes me feel like the title was punched).
Sponsored