dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I've been having a problem with the driver's side (AC-only) port on my Taycan. Prior to the latest software, it basically would refuse to open. But since the new software install, it actually flags the error as an "impaired port". It eventually clears up on its own, and then works for a while until it breaks again.

Today, after what seemed to be a determined strafing attack by an entire flock of geese, I went to a local touchless carwash to clear things up before any damage was done to the wrap/paint.

Before the wash, I was having the driver's side "impaired port" error. About 10 minutes after the wash, I started getting a passenger's side impairment warning, too, and then it gave a "both sides impaired" error.

When I arrived home (15% charge!) I wasn't able to open the driver's side port, but the passenger's side opened. There was a small amount of moisture under the port cover. And, fortunately, it's charging.

Which all leads me to wonder: is it possible that there's a moisture sensor as part of the charge port assembly that's causing these errors?

Initially, I thought that there was a motorized door position sensor that was causing the problem with the driver's side port (specifically, I thought that maybe the car considered the passenger port to be "in use" and thus wouldn't open the driver's port). But given that it's flagging an "impairment" error, that seems unlikely, and that there's something else going on. Maybe moisture around a connector, triggered by water splashing up from the wheelwell area? And a carwash with underbody sprayers causes the same issue?

Anyway - anyone else see this kind of thing? Anyone have (access to) a technical manual that explains the charge door and port circuitry, and what sensor might be tossing the code?

Thoughts appreciated...
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I had the port impairment failure once due to the charge port door automatically closing whilst the cable was still attached (my fault). I had it a second time just as my AC port failed and door sensor also failed. Oddly the repair was to the opposite side (passenger in my case).

It could be your AC port is suspect.

Get the dealer to check.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In fact, I have taken it to the dealer a number of times. The port cover assembly was replaced, but the issue wasn't resolved, and the other side is now acting up. Wanted to see if there were any similar cases here, given the difficulty involved diagnosing the issue.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Just chiming in to possibly eliminate one of the suspected causes: In the course of my first EA charging session I went down a couple of wrong paths first. After my first attempt, I unplugged and neglected to flip the little DC door shut. The powered door automatically tried to close after timing out, but then retracted and triggered a fault warning. But, when I flipped the DC door shut and retried, everything worked fine. And I did successfully complete a DC charging session with the Connect app, after getting guidance (and a station re-boot) from a phone agent at EA Support.

Incidentally, on my first attempt, I had tried to use Plug and Play by just plugging in without taking any actions on the app, but no dice.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After my first attempt, I unplugged and neglected to flip the little DC door shut.
I think we've all done this at one time or another (it usually flips closed on its own, except when it doesn't). But these problems started with the AC-only port, which doesn't have a port door and couldn't have been blocked.

Today was rather interesting, because I opened the AC/DC door first, and it was OK. Closed it, went to the AC door, opened it...and it opened, but the immediately closed and wouldn't open again. The whole thing is kind of baffling.
Sponsored