Post 3397 update: Range function issues?

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Just got mine back from the latest WMA5/6 update - now SW 3397.

Observed a change in behaviour on range mode on the way back.

On Car/Trip in the menu - you can see energy flows. (blue = usage, green regen, 2WD/4WD).
Before in range mode I clearly saw the rear wheels disengage when gently cruising on the highway (130km/h).

Today... it is 99% in 4WD, meaning no real benefit of range mode. (and shows in estimated range as well... <5% difference from normal driving modes)
I tried stressing the function back and forth and at different speeds.

It seems like the threshold between 2WD and 4WD is minimal.
Using load as an example, and with imagined figures, driving on the highway:
< load = Car regens. As normal.
0-10kW load = 2WD (This is the important part here... the very narrow threshold between using kicking in the 2WD and 4WD)
10-500kW load = 4WD.

Don't know if that made sense to anyone.

But the question then:
Has anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Range
The Taycan performs particularly efficiently in Range mode. The top speed is limited to between 90 and 140 km/h (adjustable) but can always be overridden by depressing the accelerator pedal. Driving in this mode means driving with the most efficient all-wheel distribution possible. In extreme cases, the Taycan will even drive exclusively on the front axle. Cooling air flaps, chassis height (-20 millimetres) and rear spoiler are set to the minimum drag. Air conditioning, hydraulic pumps, air suspension and headlights also operate in their most efficient configurations.

So if battery is very low then AWD will be disengaged totally and front wheel drive only. Always engaged to a degree in any other circumstance.

OP
OP
Gubbjaevel

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
It is my experience that in Range mode, it uses only FWD unless power requirements dictate the need for AWD.

"Driving in this mode means driving with the most efficient all-wheel distribution possible." = Only FWD. Which mine does not, after update.

Next time I'm on the highway, I'll check the AWD screen on the instrument cluster.
Might be that the FWD does 90% of the heavy lifting. (But still my Range mode pretty much equals my normal driving mode, range/consumption-wise... so something is off...)

Interested in hearing if anyone has any experience or thoughts or comments.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It is my experience that in Range mode, it uses only FWD unless power requirements dictate the need for AWD.

"Driving in this mode means driving with the most efficient all-wheel distribution possible." = Only FWD. Which mine does not, after update.

Next time I'm on the highway, I'll check the AWD screen on the instrument cluster.
Might be that the FWD does 90% of the heavy lifting. (But still my Range mode pretty much equals my normal driving mode, range/consumption-wise... so something is off...)

Interested in hearing if anyone has any experience or thoughts or comments.
Hej,
I have not tried Range Mode since the update but will try it over next weekend to see if it is the same?

So you think you have a higher average consumption after the update, using range mode?

OP
OP
Gubbjaevel

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Tx, will look forward to your feedback.

As it is now - cruising on the highway at 130 km/h - Range mode (AC in normal, not eco) and Sport mode uses pretty much the same amount of energy.

I will continue testing myself back and forth.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I have had update, have used range mode and have observed its behaviour using the "All-wheel" display tube. I can confirm that for me the behaviour is the same as before my software update – its 95%+ FWD only when in range mode and cruising on motorway.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes I concur. The note I posted above is straight from Porsche so both axles are always driving and therefore consuming energy just a bunch less in Range mode depending on SOC.

In summary no change on MY21 as far as I can discern.

OP
OP
Gubbjaevel

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
So some more testing. Was stuck behind a trailer on HW so was doing 70 km/h.

Porsche Taycan Post 3397 update: Range function issues? 1620548016827

Going to this screen you see the energy flows. Cruising in Range (2nd gear) at 70km/h means pretty much no load. Still it's using both FWD and RWD. This was on a reasonably flat roat, 10*C, battery 20-ish.

Porsche Taycan Post 3397 update: Range function issues? 1620548097824

Not terrible, but not good either.

Come someone with a Turbo try "boring-cruising" with a similar scenario and check? If reasonably same figures, I'll just accept and move on.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Come someone with a Turbo try "boring-cruising" with a similar scenario and check? If reasonably same figures, I'll just accept and move on.
Maybe you can view your trip control at https://connect-portal.porsche.com/myservices/CC/CC_LAN/trip-control/***VIN***
(CC is country, LAN=language, ***VIN*** is your cars VIN)

A high and low kWh/100km example from my MY2020 Turbo trip control:
  • 01-05-2021, 08:02
    1. Rit sinds start
    2. 1:18 h
    3. 115 km
    4. ø 88 km/h
    5. ø 30.3 kWh/100 km

• 01-06-2021, 21:12
    1. Rit sinds start
    2. 1:09 h
    3. 89 km
    4. ø 77 km/h