Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
So I have about 4 weeks before my build configuration locks, the only option I have second thoughts about is the Power Charge Port Cover. I've read too many anecdotal stories from owners of the door being glitch, opening when it's not supposed to, and vice versa ?

For those who optioned it, who wishes they got their car with the standard door flaps instead?

Porsche Taycan Powered Charge Port Cover - YES or No? Screenshot_20210518-085921
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Absolute yes from me. I have had no problems and find the auto charge port doors to be useful.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
No for me. I put the $640 towards interior options.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yep. Would definitely order again. If nothing else, it's pretty cool. Heck, it's like $600 just to get a small part of the mirror in gloss black to look not crappy. :p

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Perfectly happy with the power port charge cover. Is it necessary? No. Just another toy.

There is an argument to be made on affecting the airflow out of the front wheel wells. But probably only important at very high speeds.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I prefer the motorised doors but mine have been temperamental, failed once due to a faulty sensor and now the retaining clips of the coloured outer cover on one needs replacing before it falls off.

Be under no illusion however, the manual ones can be problematic too and sometimes won't open.

Charge port door covers and petrol cap covers (in my experience) are not Porsche's fortay.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Yes, both knocked off and had knocked off enough charging flaps in the past. They stick out like ears….

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I had spec’ed it in my build, the one I ended up buying off the rack had it too so I ultimately ended up with it. I guess one advantage of the powered door is that it moves into the fender when open, vs sticking up in the air.

I’m not all that jazzed about the charging ports being up front vs in the rear as they are on a Tesla. Since I plug into the (LHD) driver’s side, the handle gets in my way as I approach the car in my garage. IMHO it’s easier to deal with/less obtrusive when plugged into the rear of the car. My EVSE is located in the void between my garage doors, and there was less cable to pay out/trip over when it plugged right into the back. Fully aware this is the first-est of first-world problems. :p

I’m guessing Porsche added this option to keep up with the Musks. The feature is much less elaborate/simpler on the Tesla. Experiencing the Taycan’s version of the feature leaves me a little underwhelmed. I also wondered why some charge ports had the fin (which I wasn’t really fond of) & others didn’t. Now I know why.

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
No for me. Looks cool enough but it is one more electromechanical thing that can malfunction. Also, the lateral airflow through the vent in the front fenders gets blocked by the automatic charger covers' mechanism. Finally, I prefer the smooth fender look of the manual covers over the look with the little black winglets to activate the automatic ones.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not me. So glad I got them and I would order them again. Very cool and fun to show off.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I think I'm close to dropping the power door covers, I plan to PPF the two side doors anyway to protect against rock damage and I think I'll option the heated GT Sport steering wheel + vesuvius gray external inlays for the same money

Thanks for everyone's input ?