backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Can someone please tell me what the right questions to ask an installer are to figure out if they are going to do a good job? I have only one in my town which is pretty big and did a lot of expensive cars, but I want to make sure I ask the right questions and get a good job done. They use Llumar. For example questions regarding seams, pre-cut or not, disassembly, headlights, ceramic coating or not, etc etc. Maybe some trick questions to figure out if they know what they are doing? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Ask to see examples of their work, swing by and walk through if you can. Also, ask if they have done many Taycans and/or Porsches in general. Generally, they use the same techniques for assembly - door panel removal is pretty consistent across my current Porsches and so if they haven’t had experience on Taycan specifically, experience on other models can help.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have the front of the car with protective wrap. Don't even know its there and it's one of the things that HASN'T gone wrong....so far

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Ask to see examples of their work, swing by and walk through if you can. Also, ask if they have done many Taycans and/or Porsches in general. Generally, they use the same techniques for assembly - door panel removal is pretty consistent across my current Porsches and so if they haven’t had experience on Taycan specifically, experience on other models can help.
Thanks. I asked. They do them almost daily. They said I can go have a look. They said they did a lot of Porsche, including Taycan. However, they said that they don’t take any part of the car off, not even the letters (although if I insist they can take letters off).

What do you think? Is it really that bad if they don’t take the letters and panels off? Will the edges be visible? i would assume people would have complained or leave bad reviews by now.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
I am getting PPF done at the same shop as Reg. They said they only take off the side mirrors and window trim, nothing else.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I am getting PPF done at the same shop as Reg. They said they only take off the side mirrors and window trim, nothing else.
Side markers too.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Mirrors, side markers and charge cover they removed. I optioned to have no badges on my car, these then applied after the PPF.

For my Cayman, they pulled all the badges off and we applied new after they had applied PPF.

Mook

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Cayenne Turbo S, Merc 560SL
Country flag
MY dealer (premier dealer) offers the service to clients including headlight protection. What are you worried about? They are expensive - film them.
Think I am going to NOT PPF film my headlights. Have had over 70 cars in 40+ years and have never had a damaged headlight - jinxing myself here for sure - and so going 'commando' on my headlights and windshield. i have the special LED headlights on my Turbo S and have been told that any covering alters the lens and heats it up, and, voids any warranty.

Since there are such disparate views on this topic, I say to each his/her own and one should make an informed decision and live with it.

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations - please keep them coming. To me every Porsche on the road is a family member and I want to see the best in them at all times, and will not be shy about sharing my thoughts on how to make them even better.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations - please keep them coming. To me every Porsche on the road is a family member and I want to see the best in them at all times, and will not be shy about sharing my thoughts on how to make them even better.
You're welcome. Happy to share my experience and knowledge. Too bad they aren't more new cars produced with glass headlights. I never have an issue with my old cars with glass headlights.
Sponsored