PPF regrets?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I would echo that nothing was meaningfully "disassembled." The only removal in my case was the front hood crest. If I had badging on the back, it also would have been removed (I believe).
Sponsored

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No regrets on the choice to do PPF. I do have regrets on the shop that DID my PPF though. The more time I've spent with my 'full wrap' Stealth PPF, the more I've found that they cut corners where they shouldn't have. That's my only disappointment. I won't name the shop, but I did it as a part of the purchase process via the dealer. It's not the dealers fault pre se either, since I was the first person to ever do a full stealth wrap.

My recommendation is before you pull the trigger on any full wrap, look at the portfolio of the shop that's going to do the actual work and ask to see another car that's fully wrapped. Look at how they handle the mirrors, whether they wrap all the way around door handles, how they handle the body lines around the rear tail lights, and a few other 'tough areas' that highly skilled shops can do without gaps or other half-measure solutions.

The sad thing is that I'll likely have it all torn off in a year and have it redone by another shop that is more competent because while normal people can't notice, the small gaps and imperfections I've found after my first couple hand washes really frustrate me and nag at the back of my mind.

Everyone else falls all over themselves about the wrap, but on the inside I'm screaming about the little details :D

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What about windshield protection?

Mook

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Cayenne Turbo S, Merc 560SL
Country flag
Great query about the windshield. My other vehicles have not had any windshield damage, and with the more severe rake angle, I am, and maybe wrongfully, assuming that there will be no damage to this windshield. If it happens, then Porsche will be selling me a new windshield. Uggh, perish the thought!

Presume there are 'tintless' wraps that one can do like tinting?

Evpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022, Bolt 2020
Country flag
No regrets on the choice to do PPF. I do have regrets on the shop that DID my PPF though. The more time I've spent with my 'full wrap' Stealth PPF, the more I've found that they cut corners where they shouldn't have. That's my only disappointment. I won't name the shop, but I did it as a part of the purchase process via the dealer. It's not the dealers fault pre se either, since I was the first person to ever do a full stealth wrap.

My recommendation is before you pull the trigger on any full wrap, look at the portfolio of the shop that's going to do the actual work and ask to see another car that's fully wrapped. Look at how they handle the mirrors, whether they wrap all the way around door handles, how they handle the body lines around the rear tail lights, and a few other 'tough areas' that highly skilled shops can do without gaps or other half-measure solutions.

The sad thing is that I'll likely have it all torn off in a year and have it redone by another shop that is more competent because while normal people can't notice, the small gaps and imperfections I've found after my first couple hand washes really frustrate me and nag at the back of my mind.

Everyone else falls all over themselves about the wrap, but on the inside I'm screaming about the little details :D
This is a big reason to name the shop or offer a PM for anyone in your area.

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did PPF and ceramic for the first time, this is my fourth black Porsche, and I wouldn't do it again. It's not perfect, and damage to the PPF shows as much as a rock chip on paint- it's just different. I don't really see the point but wanted to try it. Ceramic makes cleaning it easy, but it gets dirty just as fast. It's a daily driver for me, so I may have lower expectations for how nice it has to look.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is a big reason to name the shop or offer a PM for anyone in your area.
I'm happy to share to anyone in my area that has questions or concerns in a DM/PM.

I'm not in the market for throwing shade on the internet though, as the internet is forever :)

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Side note: Ceramic coat on a stealth/satin wrap is likely a waste of money. A satin wrap is a pain in the ass to clean. My ceramic coat doesn't seem to have made it any easier to clean, nor does it seem anymore hydrophobic than a non-coated car.

I think that's unique to the wrap I chose. I only say this because I watched a ton of videos and read a lot about ceramic coating matte/satin wraps and everything said it was magical and wonderful. It isn't. If you're going with a non-gloss PPF, I wouldn't waste the money on the ceramic coat.

The one benefit I do know about the ceramic coat is that it made the 'look' of my satin finish 'deeper'. It's hard to explain, but it accentuated the overall look of the finish, which is a benefit.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great query about the windshield. My other vehicles have not had any windshield damage, and with the more severe rake angle, I am, and maybe wrongfully, assuming that there will be no damage to this windshield. If it happens, then Porsche will be selling me a new windshield. Uggh, perish the thought!

Presume there are 'tintless' wraps that one can do like tinting?
See this thread: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ppf-on-the-panoramic-glass-roof.5889/post-81902

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Looks great Tsingtao - well done. FYI, they do not take anything apart on the Full Front install - think that is true for the full body install also, but you should check with the installer. They should also wrap edges - that is most crucial. With the new computer cutting technology for the templates, the fit seems to be done quite well. Will post pics of this only if someone is interested.
Thanks Mook. The car looks awesome with the ceramic -- for now. But once Winter hits and I start getting pelted with road salt and sand, I may change my mind and revisit the PPF issue, at least for the front of the car. Driving around with the exposed low front end and no PPF does feel a little like having unprotected sex, but it does feel really good!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Thanks Mook. The car looks awesome with the ceramic -- for now. But once Winter hits and I start getting pelted with road salt and sand, I may change my mind and revisit the PPF issue, at least for the front of the car. Driving around with the exposed low front end and no PPF does feel a little like having unprotected sex, but it does feel really good!
Why wait? My front bumper lower plastic and louvers have light damage after only ~1000 miles. It's not just salt and sand but everything flying around on roads causes damage. My 970 Panamera turbo didn't have full body PPF and 2 doors took some damage from road debris - paint chips. I understand people who lease or just don't care but for me I like to keep my expensive vehicles as pristine as possible for long-life. Another benefit of PPF + ceramic coat is much easier maintenance and no clear coat swirls/scratches. No more paint correction, clay bars, polishing, waxing.

The Taycan is fully wrapped including STEK windshield film. I've had new vehicle windshields take some big hits within a few months.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Another benefit of PPF + ceramic coat is much easier maintenance and no clear coat swirls/scratches. No more paint correction, clay bars, polishing, waxing.
The Taycan is fully wrapped including STEK windshield film. I've had new vehicle windshields take some big hits within a few months.
STEK does not recommend ceramic coat for their PPF because their film has a hydrophobic top layer. Did you only get STEK for your windshield (DYNOflex)? Seems like 99% of forum members posting about PPF advocate Xpel and I can't understand why, when it is templated (with associated install issues) and requires additional ceramic coat.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
STEK does not recommend ceramic coat for their PPF because their film has a hydrophobic top layer. Did you only get STEK for your windshield (DYNOflex)? Seems like 99% of forum members posting about PPF advocate Xpel and I can't understand why, when it is templated (with associated install issues) and requires additional ceramic coat.
Xpel Ultimate. STEK on windshield - windshield is NOT coated. I had bad luck with STEK PPF on a past vehicle. Got really beat up after only 1 year.

jhawks9028

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Base
Country flag
I chose the front end PFF, from the dealer. This added two benefits. One is that the PFF cost is now part of the car, thus covered by insurance. If you get it after delivery from a 3rd-party provider, its considered after-market and not covered. Second is that the dealer accepts the risk of disassembly. Disassembly is required to get the seal around the edges, which reduces the chance of peeling.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Why wait? My front bumper lower plastic and louvers have light damage after only ~1000 miles. It's not just salt and sand but everything flying around on roads causes damage. My 970 Panamera turbo didn't have full body PPF and 2 doors took some damage from road debris - paint chips. I understand people who lease or just don't care but for me I like to keep my expensive vehicles as pristine as possible for long-life. Another benefit of PPF + ceramic coat is much easier maintenance and no clear coat swirls/scratches. No more paint correction, clay bars, polishing, waxing.

Good advice but I am probably locked in for a while as I already have the ceramic coating and nothing wants to stick to that stuff. My guess is that it would be an ordeal to stick PPF over ceramic. But so far so good after about 3,500 miles -- no chips yet. But, winter approaches and that is my real concern.
Sponsored