DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Why? Their supercharging network is driving sales of Teslas. Maybe if they started charging other EV's whatever margin they make per Tesla just to get access to the network, but I doubt any manufacturer would pay for it. The only reason Tesla would allow other EV's on their network would be to get government incentives, but the way they are usually written that can be satisfied by providing a small number of CCS ports for new superchargers being built, which would give Tesla government grant towards building it.

If you're going to travel in an EV a lot in the USA/Canada, Tesla is hands down your best choice. You have all of Tesla supercharger network, and with the $250 CCS adapter you can also charge at any of the chargers other EV's can charge too. You cannot beat that for travel, even if CCS was as reliable as Tesla, which it's not today.
Agree. Love my Taycan but my wife’s MY Performance is our travel car. As I sit a an EA station 350 charger getting less than 50kw.
Porsche Taycan Price cuts? F3D23561-1E08-4413-8845-28A66A40F9B9
Sponsored

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
On the other hand, maybe it's more profitable for Porsche to never get to that point. If demand drops in the US, just lower the number of allocations to always keep people waiting.
The Rolls-Royce strategy was very like that for years, they kept supply controlled to keep around a 1 year waiting list and told dealers to only accept orders from an owner, so anybodies first RR had to be used.
It kept used prices up and a company could change the chairman’s Rolls once a year at almost no capital cost.
When they decided to stop this and supply demand the used price collapsed and the business case collapsed with it and they ended up selling to BMW.

Rolex run the same approach with their watches.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
It’s more Fiat Multipla territory for me. Damn it’s an ugly MF.
Think I just discovered by accident where they found the ‘inspiration’ for the multipuke…

I present the Tatra 603 with rear mounted air cooled v8!

(I secretly kind of dig it. The Tatra not the puke) 🤣
Porsche Taycan Price cuts? 390A16B7-7FBE-4CE4-9A68-57B1F824BEA1

Porsche Taycan Price cuts? 21CAA747-7B5B-4836-A17F-A4E49FEF356F

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I think they might pause doing that in the US given another cost of money hike is coming. Or it will come in the form of a paper tiger that can be "discounted" away for a buyer. I can tell you that my local dealer has 6 Taycans for sale and has had them for months. An increase is not even close to in line with the market or demand for the brand.

A raise in pricing (again) while the world melts down feels a little like the fiddler fiddling while Rome burns.
I’m surprised there are 6 Taycans sitting so long, what state?

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Rolls-Royce strategy was very like that for years, they kept supply controlled to keep around a 1 year waiting list and told dealers to only accept orders from an owner, so anybodies first RR had to be used.
It kept used prices up and a company could change the chairman’s Rolls once a year at almost no capital cost.
When they decided to stop this and supply demand the used price collapsed and the business case collapsed with it and they ended up selling to BMW.

Rolex run the same approach with their watches.
De Beers is the OG if this, but Rolex takes it to a whole other level in structuring themselves as what is really a non-profit entity.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Agree. Love my Taycan but my wife’s MY Performance is our travel car. As I sit a an EA station 350 charger getting less than 50kw.
F3D23561-1E08-4413-8845-28A66A40F9B9.jpeg
Hmmmm.... you post was at 11:51am eastern time zone, the car estimated 10:03pm to complete charging. It seems your car was expecting one hell of a charging slowdown over the next 10hrs.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmmm.... you post was at 11:51am eastern time zone, the car estimated 10:03pm to complete charging. It seems your car was expecting one hell of a charging slowdown over the next 10hrs.
Yes at 37.3 kw it would have taken that long to get to 100% I guess. I only stayed for less than one hour since cars were waiting and as the battery warmed up to 70F it delivered 60kw. Still well below what a 350kw “Hyper” chargers should do.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes at 37.3 kw it would have taken that long to get to 100% I guess. I only stayed for less than one hour since cars were waiting and as the battery warmed up to 70F it delivered 60kw. Still well below what a 350kw “Hyper” chargers should do.
At 37.3KW charging for 10 hrs would fill 370KWh , which is 4 times the full battery capacity of a Taycan. Something is amiss.

NYF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (not delivered yet)
Country flag
But Tesla is only dropping prices for MY and M3, not S and X. So if has indeed become cheaper for them to manufacture cars, why does it only apply to the cheap model? So why would Porsche lower its price on the taycan? Model S is already (at base level) more expensive.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But Tesla is only dropping prices for MY and M3, not S and X.
In which country? In the US they dropped S&X too. And they are now offering a round steering wheel, though still without stalks, so actually the worst of both world as you are no longer forced to hold it where the touch controls for directional signals or horn are.

PS> They did lower some production costs, for example they removed ultrasonic parking sensors, with a plan to enable camera based system instead. Last time they did that with a rain sensor, it took them 2 years to make it work not as good but ok. Given the level of difficulty here, it might be 5 years or more before the parking sensor functionality returns, so of course customers deserve a good discount.

NYF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (not delivered yet)
Country flag
In which country? In the US they dropped S&X too. And they are now offering a round steering wheel, though still without stalks, so actually the worst of both world as you are no longer forced to hold it where the touch controls for directional signals or horn are.

PS> They did lower some production costs, for example they removed ultrasonic parking sensors, with a plan to enable camera based system instead. Last time they did that with a rain sensor, it took them 2 years to make it work not as good but ok. Given the level of difficulty here, it might be 5 years or more before the parking sensor functionality returns, so of course customers deserve a good discount.
Oh, was not aware of the price reductionon S and X in the US. In Europe (at least in Denmark) I haven’t seen a price drop in these models.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At 37.3KW charging for 10 hrs would fill 370KWh , which is 4 times the full battery capacity of a Taycan. Something is amiss.
I agree that something does not make sense but that’s what my car displayed when I took the photo. As I recall the battery temperature was about 40F and the time to full charge began to drop as the battery warmed up. Here’s a screenshot showing the time I took the photo in case you think I’m that good to mislead (I’m not). Maybe someone who understands how the time to full charge calculation works can explain?
Porsche Taycan Price cuts? F26D9A56-9E4B-43AB-9A21-B435D38BEFA4

Zeegoff

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, GTS ST on order
Country flag
I very much doubt Porsche would drop their prices. They can't build the cars fast enough at the moment so why would they? Tesla are going to struggle in the coming months/years. Over supply and years of treating customers with contempt seems to be catching up to them.

I got caught out only a few weeks after taking delivery of my model S back in 2019 when they last slashed their prices, car lost 15k in value overnight. The knee jerk pricing, poor quality and useless support network in the UK is what drove me to look at the Taycan in the first place. Can't wait for delivery day, genuinely checking the app multiple times a day to see if the order status has changed :CWL:
Sponsored