New Chargepoint / Timer Profile Issue - Missing Charge Finish Target

Spyerx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I have a Chargepoint home flex, 40a rate I've used w/o issue for 2 years. I don't use any of the schedule or timer features on the Chargpoint, I use the car to control it.

I have a timer set to finish charging at 3:50pm, 85%
I have a profile set to only charge form 9pm-4pm (ie don't charge from 4pm - 9pm as TOU rates are very high and I charge when my solar is in max production).

Normally, the car starts charging whenever it needs to, and finishes about at 3:50pm No issue.

Last night I plug car in as normal.

Today: the car starts to charge at about 10am. It's charging at full rate. Then after 3 hours about 1pm, it DROPS the charge rate to 2.2kwh (it never stopped charging). And sits there for about an hour. Then at 2pm it starts charging at full rate again until 3:50 when I get a message from the porsche app "can't meet charge target" and the car stops charging at 77%. The timer then turns blue and the charge is "on hold" This is all in the graphs on the CP app.

Essentially it seems the car started to regulate the charge rate for some reason and then it missed the charge target.

The car has NEVER done this before. I can set "direct charging" on right now and it will charge at full rate.

My car was just in for a bunch of software updates. It fast charged earlier the week fine. And it charged last week fine.

Has anyone seen this behavior?
Sponsored

cyiril4j

First Name
Cyril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT
Country flag
I don't have a root cause explanation for what you experienced, but I've noticed it delays as much as possible charging to the pre-defined timer, often setting itself up for failure by under-estimating charge time. E.g. it needs 9kw, it thinks it can get 9kwH so it starts pulling 1h before timer, but then ends up getting only 6kwH for whatever reason (SoC, temp, etc.) and it finds itself at the end of the timer with failing the target by 3kw. I wish they added some safety buffer to accommodate for slower than expected charging time. I get they don't want the battery to sit on high SoC for a long time, but it's not like a couple of hours safety would kill the battery imho.
Sponsored