Protective film (front) - failure!

darzifa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG G63
Country flag
Picked up my Taycan GTS in Frozen Blue about 4 weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

However, optioned was the 'Protective film (front)' for a sum of £1,347.00, as you can see from the images below it is failing already, bubbling underneath and even starting to peal away in some places.

What position am I in? do I return to OPC and ask for it to be fixed or is it a case they will send it off to a detailer for PPF to be re applied or does this count for generally wear and tear (I highly doubt/hope not the latter given the car is just 4 weeks old).

Welcome your thoughts and direction....

Porsche Taycan Protective film (front) - failure! IMG_2958
Porsche Taycan Protective film (front) - failure! IMG_2955
Porsche Taycan Protective film (front) - failure! IMG_2957

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Def return - whilst some bubbling can happen and easily removed (tech can use heat etc) this looks like a fairly poor installation imo. Needs to be fixed by the dealership (did the OEM PPF have a related warranty disclosure?).

Realize a bit moot here but I would strongly advise against the factory PPF option as it does not include wrapped edges and invariably it seems is not a good quality install. Getting it done by a local pro shop is always the better option.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Realize a bit moot here but I would strongly advise against the factory PPF option as it does not include wrapped edges and invariably it seems is not a good quality install. Getting it done by a local pro shop is always the better option.
This 100%.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Picked up my Taycan GTS in Frozen Blue about 4 weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

However, optioned was the 'Protective film (front)' for a sum of £1,347.00, as you can see from the images below it is failing already, bubbling underneath and even starting to peal away in some places.

What position am I in? do I return to OPC and ask for it to be fixed or is it a case they will send it off to a detailer for PPF to be re applied or does this count for generally wear and tear (I highly doubt/hope not the latter given the car is just 4 weeks old).

IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2955.jpg
IMG_2957.jpg
Same, albeit not as bad as yours (that i've spotted so far anyway). I've got a couple of very minor bubbles i've noticed under it (not at edge). Looks like they are in a hard place to wrap. It isn't particularly noticeable at moment and may stay as such. But I think i'm going to take it in, as what i don't want is for it to get worse over the next 6-9 months and then have Porsche blame me for wrong sort of car wash or something. My car is just coming to 2 months old.

Did you take it in to the garage? What did they say or do?

Ta.

Porsche Taycan Protective film (front) - failure! 4476BC1D-0B6A-4263-A0E9-BC2924C7E734_1_201_a

Porsche Taycan Protective film (front) - failure! 2FF02B8F-7753-4C3B-828C-CDBECA13CFE8_1_201_a

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Def return - whilst some bubbling can happen and easily removed (tech can use heat etc) this looks like a fairly poor installation imo. Needs to be fixed by the dealership (did the OEM PPF have a related warranty disclosure?).

I ordered the Factory PPF and it was very well done. I haven't noticed any bubbles or peeling at all. Edges are wrapped, mostly, with a few areas where I can see some when detailing the car. The only place you can even see edges is on the mirror and near a couple of corners. Production on my car ended 02/11/2022. I don't know if it was simply a case of different techs doing the wrap or if Porsche outsources PPF and I was just lucky 🤷‍♂️ But I'm not complaining. I picked up my Taycan 4S on 7 May and only have about 400 miles. Should any issues arise with the PPF I'll be sure to post.

P.S. I should note that I live in an area that is very very warm and dry this time of the year. We've already hit triple digits a couple of times. I'm not sure if this could help the PPF "cure"?

Last edited:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
My sales guy told me to go somewhere else for this exact reason. I wish the OP had received the same advice.
My SA told me to let them do it (the dealer), but I ignored them and went with the factory front PPF, when I checked my dealer uses the same Tint/PPF/Ceramic shop that I use they just add a few hundred dollars markup :cool: When I took it in for a clear UV application to the Windshield they commented on how well done the front PPF was.

Last edited:

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Same here, even though I bought the ppf service from the dealer, it was Gulf Coast Auto Shield who did the job, and they did a fantastic job. All edges are wrapped, and warranties peeling for 10 years. If I had known that shop ahead of time, I could have saved a few bucks by going there directly, but it's no big deal.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My SA told me to let them do it (the dealer), but I ignored them and went with the factory front PPF, when I checked my dealer uses the same Tint/PPF/Ceramic shop that I use they just add a few hundred dollars markup :cool: When I took it in for a clear UV application to the Windshield they commented on how well done the front PPF was.
I intentionally got a private quote (using a different name!) from the shop my dealer uses (Xpel’s own installation shop here) and it was $400 above what I paid so guess it depends on location.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag

IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2955.jpg
IMG_2957.jpg

Did you get this sorted ? Which Dealer did you get it from ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2955.jpg
IMG_2957.jpg
Warranty job for sure.

General consensus is to not have this option from Porsche as it isn't up to the job and isn't wrap around (visible edges).