PSCB question

Vince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Having a new cross turismo and at 600 miles now. But the PSCB is not shining like a mirror. Instead, looks like an opaque film on the disks. Is that normal? How can I get it shining like a mirror?

thanks

Porsche Taycan PSCB question IMG_0387
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
If you really want that look, you just need to drive it like you stole it. That will shine those babies right up….

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
They have mirror like look at all times when used. I have them on the Cayenne at 42k miles and they stay mirror like. On the Taycan at 6k miles they are not since they are not used very much and I do not expect them to. I understand that physical brakes are being used at low single digit speed or aggressive braking for stopping power beyond the dynamics of stopping by the motors. However, in either case, I can imagine that the use of the brakes will be very short, and not enough to shine them up, at least not quickly.

Last edited:

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Just takes many many miles. I’ve done 3,500 miles and there are a few small rings of mirror like finish beginning to show. Probably need 20k miles! Or as previously said, lots of driving like you stole it!

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Problem is braking normally is 95% by Regen.

Find a big parking lot or another flat big space. Reverse the car flat out and slam on the brakes a couple times. There is no Regen in reverse.

Last edited:

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Hard stops from (legal speed limit) to 0 will use the brakes the hardest…
I think you need to do that an awful awful lot though and you are fundamentally just wearing out your brakes to make them look good…

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
There’s a Porsche writeup about PSCB introduction for Cayenne that mentions something like 6k km necessary to polish them up, so possibly longer on the Taycan with regen brakes.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Having a new cross turismo and at 600 miles now. But the PSCB is not shining like a mirror. Instead, looks like an opaque film on the disks. Is that normal? How can I get it shining like a mirror?

thanks

IMG_0387.jpeg
Regen does not kick in for a mile or so after the car has sat for several hours, including overnight. When you leave the house in the morning do some left foot (assuming U.S. car with steering wheel on the left side) braking while you are accelerating. This will engage the brakes and clean them right up. They will also heat up pretty quickly so maybe drive a couple hundred feet with left foot braking, ease off, do it again. Then, just learn how to left foot brake as part of your normal driving - not to clean the rotors, but more to enhance the driving experience...........................

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
It takes time for these to shine up....just enjoy the graduate polish as the miles add up.
I have 25k miles on my 2020 4S, and they are just now getting fully polished

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Mine are shiny on the front but still dull on the rear at 28000 miles.
next step is.
- Polishing the read rotors. That can be a bad idea.
- Going to the top of the mountain charge to 100% and use the brakes all the way down.
- Doing nothing and stop looking at the rear wheels.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Mine are shiny on the front but still dull on the rear at 28000 miles.
next step is.
- Polishing the read rotors. That can be a bad idea.
- Going to the top of the mountain charge to 100% and use the brakes all the way down.
- Doing nothing and stop looking at the rear wheels.
Come down in reverse and you'll have the shinniest rear rotors in existence haha

OP
OP

Vince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Regen does not kick in for a mile or so after the car has sat for several hours, including overnight. When you leave the house in the morning do some left foot (assuming U.S. car with steering wheel on the left side) braking while you are accelerating. This will engage the brakes and clean them right up. They will also heat up pretty quickly so maybe drive a couple hundred feet with left foot braking, ease off, do it again. Then, just learn how to left foot brake as part of your normal driving - not to clean the rotors, but more to enhance the driving experience...........................
Curious about this one…
Is there any reason why regen doesn’t kick in for a mile (I feel a big longer though) overnight?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Find a big parking lot or another flat big space. Reverse the car flat out and slam on the brakes a couple times. There is no Regen in reverse.
What could possibly go wrong? Hoping I don't see a video of this on TikTok someday. ;)

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Curious about this one…
Is there any reason why regen doesn’t kick in for a mile (I feel a big longer though) overnight?
There is a post on for Forum that discuss this. From what I remember it is to 'clean' the rotors up after sitting for a period - I think maybe 6 hours or so...........from what I remember. I would guess (and it is just a guess) that since regen provides almost all of the braking for most driving the rotors build up what? A film? Dirt? I don't know, but that is what the reasoning is as I remember previous posts. I should point out that active braking is what cleans the rotors after the car has sat for a while. For me, it takes about a mile, but there are only 3 braking points in that mile. For someone else that is driving in city I would guess that it does not take a mile but something shorter as the braking points are more frequent................I think.................
Sponsored