Question about PDLS+ headlights

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
But it's not proof of that at all. That's my point. Non-matrix and non-LED systems have always done this. It's not a part of the matrix technology.
It is. If they operated as one, that means they would all be on or all off, meaning in order to swivel they would have to physically move the LEDs. Are you saying the matrix headlights actually move the LESs rather than just shut some LEDs off?
Sponsored

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
It is. If they operated as one, that means they would all be on or all off, meaning in order to swivel they would have to physically move the LEDs. Are you saying the matrix headlights actually move the LESs rather than just shut some LEDs off?
I wasn’t talking about swivelling. I was talking about them moving up and down on start-up.

As for the swivel, on other matrix LED systems like BMW and Audi’s this is achieved by the entire headlight moving inside the housing rather than the matrix function.

I’d suggest that Porsche’s is the same and that to comply with the US regulations, they’ve disabled the matrix functionality but keep the motorised light inside the lense.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I never said it was anything revolutionary, but proof that matrix LEDs in USA are not all-or-nothing (i.e. acting as one LED).
This is true. Our U.S handicapped matrix LEDs are NOT all or nothing, they do "virtually swivel" as another member calls it. This is evident if you're pulling into a neighborhood and see the beam against a garage door or something while moving the steering wheel. The rate at which the beam slides to the left or right (individually shutting on/off LEDs in left or right unit) is also dependent on speed and someone fact me on this, drive mode as well.

DES_MX

First Name
DES_MX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan4 CT
Country flag
Truth is the standard LED already come with PDLS+ & can be activated through FOD (hardware is there). The matrix ones are even better indeed, but need to be allowed by local regulations.
But I can tell you something - I've had laser lights on my BMW and on the Porsche the basic LED (yet to activate the PDLS+), and its nicer still on Porsche. So even with basic lights you get a very good product

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am familiar whith what you're referring to. Light shape on car headlights can be changed for many years now, even prior to the invention of Matrix, it's achieved by adjusting the headlight level differently on each side. Yes the Matrix LEDs will come on individually, giving you a show of the potentials of the technology. Once they're on, they function as a single unit.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I am familiar whith what you're referring to. Light shape on car headlights can be changed for many years now, even prior to the invention of Matrix, it's achieved by adjusting the headlight level differently on each side. Yes the Matrix LEDs will come on individually, giving you a show of the potentials of the technology. Once they're on, they function as a single unit.
Let me grab some footage of a late night drive with matrix headlight adaptive high beam, I will show you what I mean. The LED's definitely come on in a few stages, while the car is going 60mph on a highway (so way after it first started up). It goes back down to low beams in one single step (whenever it detects another car), but up in multiple steps.

Last edited:

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is there any chance that when US regulations change to allow the fancier matrix LED functionality (US regulations catching up with headlines technology did happen fore, after all), that existing Taycans will be able to benefit from it, or will only Taycans produced after that use the full functionality?

I presume this is a software thing, not a hardware thing, after all. Though I can imagine some dumb regulatory thing along the lines of "only cars from model year so-and-so on may have that technology".

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
This is incorrect. The LEDs in the left or right unit, will in fact, function individually to make their respective beam wider, as if to simulate a single LED unit that swivels.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Is there any chance that when US regulations change to allow the fancier matrix LED functionality (US regulations catching up with headlines technology did happen fore, after all), that existing Taycans will be able to benefit from it, or will only Taycans produced after that use the full functionality?

I presume this is a software thing, not a hardware thing, after all. Though I can imagine some dumb regulatory thing along the lines of "only cars from model year so-and-so on may have that technology".
To address your second point first. Yes, you are correct. It's simply software. PDLS+ matrix LED optioned Taycans have the same hardware, regardless of region. I've mentioned it before, but sooner or later, someone smarter than me will be able to reprogram the ECU that enables North American Taycans to have full matrix functionality.

Will Porsche issue another recall to update older Taycans? Depends on who you talk to about it. I've read that Porsche would need to go through the process of testing and re-certifying older models in order to get DOT approval. That's a lot of time and money, so most likely a no. I don't think it's easy as DOT says, ok this functionality is approved now so bring your car in for service to get the update. Maybe this job is a job for a class action lawyer? :p

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is incorrect. The LEDs in the left or right unit, will in fact, function individually to make their respective beam wider, as if to simulate a single LED unit that swivels.
You're saying the same thing I am.

Matrix means each individual LED module can operate independently, there are 86 LED modules per headlight. These are programmed to function like one unit.

Ever since invention of headlights there have been ways of altering the beam pattern, mostly done by moving lenses.

OP
OP

TaycanPhene

First Name
Antuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Where is this
Also, check the headlight unit to determine if matrix or not - it will have a matrix legend and the design of the headlight interior is different.

All Taycans have led headlights.

Also check that PDLS+ Iis enabled via the lighting stalk.

Can anyone tell me where this lighting stalk is? I have no idea what it is.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Question about PDLS+ headlights 1682559930643

Porsche Taycan Question about PDLS+ headlights 1682559983988

Source: Owner's Manual (aka TFM), chapter "Lights".
Note there is also this: Settings -> Vehicle -> Light and visibility -> Exterior lights -> Dynamic high beam (it may not be accessible if the car is moving).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Where is this

Really?

It's on the steering column where you would manually operate the lights - flash, high and low beam. Push it forward to engage PDLS. and an 'A' will appear in the light icon on the main instrument display.

Review operation in the owner's manual.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag

This is what I was able to learn through my SA who has his sources.
The regulations in the US are now allow Matix lights.
However, Porsche has to go through time consuming and highly bureaucratic certification.
Certification will only apply to a model year and type of light (Matrix) unless it is a different one (HD). Therefore, all of us in the US with Matrix (84 leds work as one unit) and even new HD on the Cayenne (description says whatever 16k leds work as one unit and looks butt ugly to me vs. basic LED units) are SOL, to get full intended functionality, as there is no chance it could be programmed after the factory as our model years were not the ones that went through the certification.

My only question as I could not avoid Matrix on my MY23 build, are they at least brighter than the standard LED units. I was able to escape getting Matrix on my 2020 Cayenne, but it cost me more and the PDLS+ feature, as I had to forego the Package to do it, however, they look so much better (in Black) to me when off or on, vs. too busy who knows what Matrix lights. There is no in your face difference on the Taycan, so that is not a big deal.
Porsche Taycan Question about PDLS+ headlights LED in Black
Sponsored

Last edited: