dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
the EU version has headlights that black out oncoming cars but illuminate everything else. Those are illegal in the US.

My question is could a US person import that system and swap it in a Taycan?
Sponsored

lenk

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That isn't the actual headlights. That's programming of the module. Maybe re-coding the module like is done with BMW is possible by putting porsche software in engineering mode

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
That isn't the actual headlights. That's programming of the module. Maybe re-coding the module like is done with BMW is possible by putting porsche software in engineering mode
That depends on how securely Porsche, or their Tier 1 supplier, designed the headlights firmware. I work in this field with automotive companies and Tier 1's, and if properly designed, very little chance (either firmware is locked to a specific part number for a country or a VIN range, or perhaps this becomes an option in software has to be enabled like Innodrive, so hacking it would be as easy or difficult as getting free OTA options). That said, early Tesla's were relatively easy to hack, and Porsche seems at about that stage now, possibly even behind, so maybe it's not that hard to hack.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
From quick research on eBay, the headlights are different between USA and Europe. I do not think a software update will do It. USA headlights have PDLS+SAE. Headlights from German EBay have PDLS+RV. Admittedly one is matrix, one is not, but I believe SAE description is what matters. Whether it is just programming is beyond my pay grade.
Porsche Taycan question on US headlights vs. EU Headlights 556C1629-BBB1-4EDD-AAD9-1C2C64C34362
Porsche Taycan question on US headlights vs. EU Headlights 556C1629-BBB1-4EDD-AAD9-1C2C64C34362

Porsche Taycan question on US headlights vs. EU Headlights EE252857-607D-4B8B-A97C-72602D83FA8E
Porsche Taycan question on US headlights vs. EU Headlights EE252857-607D-4B8B-A97C-72602D83FA8E

Last edited:

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Suncoast Porsche parts seems to show 3 different versions of the Glacier Blue headlights. My VIN allowed me to order any of the three I wanted. $3800 for a new pair.
Porsche Taycan question on US headlights vs. EU Headlights 6D98EA0C-0B1F-48C0-A278-265D91E42EAF

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
the EU version has headlights that black out oncoming cars but illuminate everything else. Those are illegal in the US.

My question is could a US person import that system and swap it in a Taycan?
Standard headlights are LED and don't do anything fancy.

Optional are the Matrix LEDs (84 LEDs in each headlight). These are automatically controlled individually depending on traffic, speed and whether street lights are presents

Matrix is available in US but the features disabled.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Pretty sure it's only disabled in software. There's a thread on it over on RL and people have done it. It requires PIWIS and a calibration tool. I don't think anyone has done it on the Taycan specifically, but it's been done on other Porsches as well as Audis and BMWs.

Now, whether Porsche will do all this for you if or when the regs eventually get approved... that's a different question entirely. Cars are generally certified to be compliant with regulations for the model year for which they are built. If matrix headlights were to be activated after the fact, that would no longer be a true statement, unless they decided to make the reg retroactive (which they won't).

lenk

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
the matrix headlights are the same throughout EU and US. It is a firmware issue in the headlight module. You need a hacked version of the factory software to get into engineering mode. It looks like Kufatec in germany has done some work on this, i.e that is how they produce the device to "code" video in motion through the obd port.

OP
OP

dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
awesome info. I think many folks on this site would be thrilled to be able to hack this feature

Tornadosailor

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, 997/1, Fiat500E
Country flag
i think light distribution is different from SAE spec to E-sign lights for Europe. used to be in re-imported 911s that’s headlights needed to be changed to make it compliant. there is some scattered light to illuminate highway signs or so which makes the difference.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I suspect that the lights themselves might not contain everything you need to unlock this feature. How does the light know what to black out? Unless the lights have cameras in them with image processing, then obviously that information comes from other camera sensors and probably processed elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche can enable this feature in the USA without touching the headlight firmware at all, just enable some feature of the camera image processing ECU. I have been told by the dealer that if matrix headlights do become legal, Porsche can enable this feature on a number of cars sold prior.

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (ordered), 911 Carrera S (992)
Country flag
I suspect that the lights themselves might not contain everything you need to unlock this feature. How does the light know what to black out? Unless the lights have cameras in them with image processing, then obviously that information comes from other camera sensors and probably processed elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche can enable this feature in the USA without touching the headlight firmware at all, just enable some feature of the camera image processing ECU. I have been told by the dealer that if matrix headlights do become legal, Porsche can enable this feature on a number of cars sold prior.
From my understanding, the EU and US Matrix lights are identical, other than the functionality to dynamically turn on and off individual or groups of the 84 LEDs being disabled due to US regulations. You are correct that it is a camera based technology.

As far as I know, there are two types of lighting technology available in the Taycan range and my understanding of the differences is as follows:

LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Standard LEDs with automatic high beam assist (turns high beam on and off by detecting incoming traffic). Also has swivelling cornering lights.

LED Matrix main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
As above in terms of functionality, but adds 84 pixels which can be deactivated in sections, depending on what the camera see ahead.

There are a few other options, but these are just variations of the Matrix lights, but with colour indents.

My Taycan and 911 (992) both have Matrix headlights. Where we live is out in the country and the effect is truly incredible!
Sponsored