Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thank you for your response. very good point. I will check this.
I also did all sort of test and can't see any change in angle.
Welcome.

Yeah - I was used to parking a Panamera ST in a very tight space (with no problem) and struggle to feel any advantages with RAS on the Taycan when parking. You may have seen videos of the Merc EQS which has very noticable RAS in action - if so then don't expect anything like that.
Sponsored

OP
OP

4rg3nt0

First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you for your response. very good point. I will check this.
I also did all sort of test and can't see any change in angle.
Checked on My Porsche and it lists the RAS and Power Steering Plus .. but I am not convinced ?

OP
OP

4rg3nt0

First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Welcome.

Yeah - I was used to parking a Panamera ST in a very tight space (with no problem) and struggle to feel any advantages with RAS on the Taycan when parking. You may have seen videos of the Merc EQS which has very noticable RAS in action - if so then don't expect anything like that.
Thank you! I get it, but I don't see *ANY* movement whatsoever ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thank you! I get it, but I don't see *ANY* movement whatsoever ?
Yes that sounds about right - pretty sure that's why Porsche don't publish any videos to show the movement during parking manoeuvres. I think the movement (at speed) is more pronounced when in Sport / Sport Plus mode not that that helps you right now.

If / when the rear wheels move I think it is somewhere between 6 - 9 deg.

Perhaps someone on the forum has a video of their own car showing the wheels in action.

I would expect there to be a warning message if there was an issue with RAS not working and that it has been installed. In the basic steps we've taken there's nothing to suggest it wasn't installed / activated at the factory and in my case the dealer also confirmed it was installed.

OP
OP

4rg3nt0

First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Welcome.

even though "My Porsche" lists the option, I am not convinced folks. I just did another test: With the car in reverse, I aligned tge front and back wheels straight.
Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working? 20220110_183224

the acrylic rod fits perfectly in the tyre's slot
Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working? 20220110_183248

I then used a marker to trace a line
Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working? 20220110_183404

now with the car in reverse, I turned all the way right
Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working? 20220110_183410

no changes whatsoever ..

I am sure there is another explanation than the one in my head right now!

cheers.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
even though "My Porsche" lists the option, I am not convinced folks. I just did another test: With the car in reverse, I aligned tge front and back wheels straight.
20220110_183224.jpg

the acrylic rod fits perfectly in the tyre's slot
20220110_183248.jpg

I then used a marker to trace a line
20220110_183404.jpg

now with the car in reverse, I turned all the way right
20220110_183410.jpg

no changes whatsoever ..

I am sure there is another explanation than the one in my head right now!

cheers.
Good test!

One thing, car looks to be raised - if it is can you set to Normal height and repeat the test as it could be anything other than normal height disables RAS (clutching at straws)?

I'm still in the 'uncertain camp' that RAS is present / works on my car - your test is starting to cement this thought!

frietzak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Did you check while driving the car at low speed? Not when standing still.

OP
OP

4rg3nt0

First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good test!

One thing, car looks to be raised - if it is can you set to Normal height and repeat the test as it could be anything other than normal height disables RAS (clutching at straws)?

I'm still in the 'uncertain camp' that RAS is present / works on my car - your test is starting to cement this thought!
Good test!

done again with a lowered chassis, same result:

Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working? 20220110_190709

Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working? 20220110_190753

OP
OP

4rg3nt0

First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good point as wheels may self-centre when stationary.
I tried having someone driving and also asked someone to ensure the wheels are not moving when doing the rod test .. I really think it is not working ..

OP
OP

4rg3nt0

First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I tried having someone driving and also asked someone to ensure the wheels are not moving when doing the rod test .. I really think it is not working ..
is dark here now. Tomorrow I will have someone filming while turning at low speed.

cheers.

perski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S, CT4
Country flag
How about going to a parking lot and measure the turning circle? It should be 10.4m with RAS and 11.2m without. Almost a metre difference should be possible to reliably measure.

OP
OP

4rg3nt0

First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
How about going to a parking lot and measure the turning circle? It should be 10.4m with RAS and 11.2m without. Almost a metre difference should be possible to reliably measure.
Great suggestion! will try this too.. still thinking how to, though. sounds simple but I don't know how to measure.. will figure

jimtoniq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
is dark here now. Tomorrow I will have someone filming while turning at low speed.

cheers.
I was at the dealership a couple of weeks ago and watched my Taycan been driven slowly into the repair shop. Even though the movement is very suttle, you can clearly see the rear wheels move into the opposite direction very noticeably. You will definetly see it very clearly, when someone moves your car a couple of meters forward and moves the steering strongly to either side while moving.
Sponsored