Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thank you so much., very helpful though I can't notice any rear wheel turn .. checked through the mirror and had someone drive and nope .. I can't see any movement. I understand that is only a couple of degrees but I can't notice.I made an appointment to have it checked out.

Hope I am just missing something or it's too little change to notice ...

cheers.
I used my phone taking a video right at the window. When I drive on a parking lot in a circle, I see the back wheel coming out.

You also should easily be able to messure the turning circle at low speeds.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I was at the dealership a couple of weeks ago and watched my Taycan been driven slowly into the repair shop. Even though the movement is very suttle, you can clearly see the rear wheels move into the opposite direction very noticeably. You will definetly see it very clearly, when someone moves your car a couple of meters forward and moves the steering strongly to either side while moving.
Interesting, so if noticeable, then when doing a reverse parallel parking manoeuvre (full steering lock) anyone watching from outside will see the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction?

I tried this before (was relying on my disinterested son) and came up blank - time to re-test.

perski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S, CT4
Country flag
How about going to a parking lot and measure the turning circle? It should be 10.4m with RAS and 11.2m without. Almost a metre difference should be possible to reliably measure.
Would of course be helpful if I quoted the correct values for turning circle :rolleyes:. I think it should be 11.7m without and 11.2m with RAS. Only half a meter difference, but should still be possible to measure.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
When you had this option on the Panamera – there used to be a setting in the PCM – where you had to disable RAS when you had snow chains on. But that doesn't seem to be a thing with Taycan. It used to be one way of knowing for sure you had the option!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When you had this option on the Panamera – there used to be a setting in the PCM – where you had to disable RAS when you had snow chains on. But that doesn't seem to be a thing with Taycan. It used to be one way of knowing for sure you had the option!
Actually, 11 - 12 months ago this option did appear on my PCM and now is not visible. Oddly it still appears on the simulator - perhaps this provides a clue whether the darn thing has been properly activated or not - if not then the menu option disappears?

Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working? 1641817486805

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
That really is interesting. Especially as someone who was practicing fitting snow chains yesterday. I did look in the PCM for the menu and couldn't see it – only the "activate car jack mode". I can't remember if it was in my Taycan previously but for sure was in my Panamera.

Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering - how to confirm it's installed / working? Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 12.39.33

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Having watched the assembly video, I would find it hard to believe that if it was meant to be installed that it wasn’t. Person picking parts scans each part as they place it on a cart to ensure we get the options on the build sheet and those are then delivered to the assembly station.

Now, if it has a fault, thats a different issue - but would assume that a RAS failure would get reported on the console?

If that concerned, wouldn’t simplest path be trip to the dealer and have them verify no error codes and functional?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Seems that if one has to go through a full scale investigation to determine if a pricey option was installed, it begs this question: Was the option worth the $$$ in the first place?
I think that's why we are a bit paranoid as we aren't 100% convinced given what we spent!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Having watched the assembly video, I would find it hard to believe that if it was meant to be installed that it wasn’t. Person picking parts scans each part as they place it on a cart to ensure we get the options on the build sheet and those are then delivered to the assembly station.

Now, if it has a fault, thats a different issue - but would assume that a RAS failure would get reported on the console?

If that concerned, wouldn’t simplest path be trip to the dealer and have them verify no error codes and functional?
You would hope that were the case but it depends what physically was transmitted and processed in the ordering system - we have no visibility of it.

I would also expect a fault to be reported given the Taycan is fantastic at that task!

That said you would also expect some physical evidence that what you had ordered, believe to have been built, delivered, PDI'd and in sync with the VIN that all would be well - I'm just not 100% convinced (since day 1).

Oysterquartz

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
There's RAS in my CT and I checked it by sitting in the passenger seat while someone else is driving. While sitting in the passenger seat, look at the tyre at the right side-view mirror. When turning or driving in roundabouts, you should be able to see it clearly.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
You would hope that were the case but it depends what physically was transmitted and processed in the ordering system - we have no visibility of it.

I would also expect a fault to be reported given the Taycan is fantastic at that task!

That said you would also expect some physical evidence that what you had ordered, believe to have been built, delivered, PDI'd and in sync with the VIN that all would be well - I'm just not 100% convinced (since day 1).
If it was in the ordering system it would appear in the technical data on your “my Porsche” login?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If it was in the ordering system it would appear in the technical data on your “my Porsche” login?
It does as I posted earlier - everything I have tells me I have the option but I have no concrete evidence that it actually is operational.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There's RAS in my CT and I checked it by sitting in the passenger seat while someone else is driving. While sitting in the passenger seat, look at the tyre at the right side-view mirror. When turning or driving in roundabouts, you should be able to see it clearly.
Tried this several times and nothing obvious but willing to give it another shot....should not be this difficult!

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
I've tried a quick, unsophisticated test as I was starting to worry about this myself! :CWL:

I set my phone camera to rear facing (selfie) mode, held it out of the window with my arm resting on the door so the camera didn't move at all, then set off at a moderate pace putting full lock on both ways. You can clearly see the rear wheel changes orientation slightly, particularly on full left lock where the wheel itself becomes obscured by the tyre. Interestingly, when you come to a stop the wheel seems to centre again even if you leave full lock on.

Should be an easily reproducible test and doesn't involve an assistant or elaborate gear to mount the camera onto the car's bodywork!