Rear Axle Steering

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
No.
I mean driving straight where a bump/hole forces the rear wheels to change geometry due to the RAS set-up, both in compression and rebound.
Every design has it's disadvantages and advantages.
I prefer multilink without RAS.
The Taycan doesn't have that, it's double wishbone unfortunately.
I have RAS and don't have this problem at all. Did you modify you car?
Also, I have never heard anyone say "it's double wishbone unfortunately" before. Seriously. Also, the rear suspension is in fact multilink (although set up similarly to double wishbone).
Sponsored

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
No.
I mean driving straight where a bump/hole forces the rear wheels to change geometry due to the RAS set-up, both in compression and rebound.
Every design has it's disadvantages and advantages.
I prefer multilink without RAS.
The Taycan doesn't have that, it's double wishbone unfortunately.
Bump steer is caused by unwanted toe in or toe out as the suspension moves through it's travel. There's nothing inherent in the design of RAS that would cause this change in toe. A rigid steering link on each side of the rear suspension is connected to an electromechanical actuator that is controlled by the car's ECU. This steering link doesn't move unless the ECU tells it to, and that only happens when the front wheels are turned. It is no more likely to cause changes in toe (and thus bump steer) when going straight as you've described, than any other rear suspension component. Whatever effect you are experiencing is almost certainly not the fault of properly functioning RAS.

Perhaps you are thinking of the "Weissach axle" which Porsche first used on the 928. That was a passive system which had a toe compensation feature built in and which could change with changes in road surface.

FWIW, the 2014 991.1 GT3 was the first Porsche (after the 918 Spyder) to have RAS as standard. I owned one and never felt that the car handled unnaturally in any way, including bump steer, on the road or on track.

Last edited:

Hynobius

First Name
Pyong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, UX 300e, Jimny JB23, Serow 250
Country flag
I ordered my Taycan 4S+ with RAS. I'm sure it will be useful for small parking in Japan.
I'm looking forward to arriving.

Rgee27

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8, Mamba 4 Cross Turismo on order
Country flag
I’m coming close to my freeze point on my order. On my 4CT , I’m changing from 21”wheels to 20” inch and adding the RAS. It will increase the handling performance and the 20s will increase the range.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
I’m coming close to my freeze point on my order. On my 4CT , I’m changing from 21”wheels to 20” inch and adding the RAS. It will increase the handling performance and the 20s will increase the range.
Did exact same edits for our order which locks in 4 days!

Went ahead and added Sport Chrono with compass as well, for the convenience of my wife or I quickly dialing up the preferred drive setting.
Sponsored