Rear axle steering (RAS) - gimmick or?

dragcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Far from 'must have' imho. Just remember a complete basic car with zero options will still put a smile on your face and you won't regret any of it.

I don't have RAS and have never been in a situation as of yet where I said I wish the car could turn in a little more, quite the opposite in fact I'm astonished how well this car handles at both high speed and around town (parking etc.)
Sponsored

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
The 8 way also comes with 3 memory settings, and doesn't have side pocket cargo nets, or back cargo nets. For anyone reading this.
That's interesting. I don't have 8 way seats so don't know first hand but I could find no description of the 8 way seats in the Porsche literature that included memory. Odd that they would specifically list memory function for the 14 and 18 way but not the 8 way.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
That's interesting. I don't have 8 way seats so don't know first hand but I could find no description of the 8 way seats in the Porsche literature that included memory. Odd that they would specifically list memory function for the 14 and 18 way but not the 8 way.
It's confusing, but @Kakatus10 is correct that the driver's seat still has 3 stored seat positions, as I can speak from personal experience. What I think the memory package gives you is stored settings for the passenger seat, which my 8-way seats with no memory package do not have.

And yes, as @Mike in CA mentioned, the seats themselves don't move in any way except for forwards/backwards/up/down and seat tilt. There are no adjustable side bolsters or thigh extensions or lumbar support.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's confusing, but @Kakatus10 is correct that the driver's seat still has 3 stored seat positions, as I can speak from personal experience. What I think the memory package gives you is stored settings for the passenger seat, which my 8-way seats with no memory package do not have.

And yes, as @Mike in CA mentioned, the seats themselves don't move in any way except for forwards/backwards/up/down and seat tilt. There are no adjustable side bolsters or thigh extensions or lumbar support.
Thanks for clarifying.

THAICAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4S / MG ZS EV
Country flag
I think not taking the 14 way seats is a big mistake!

With this option you add a lot of comfort to your vehicle as lumbar support, more comfy seat bolsters, moving head reasts, comfort entry function, memory package, electric steering column …

Skip the silver trim, the black one is also beautiful and take the 14-way seats if your budget is limited. The storage package is useless in my opinion.
Moving head rests?

I have 14-way seats and my head rests don't move - unless I'm missing something.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Moving head rests?

I have 14-way seats and my head rests don't move - unless I'm missing something.
On the 18 way seats there is a black button on the side of the headrest that allows it to be adjusted anywhere from all the way in to about 2 inches out. Do the 14 way seats not have that feature?

Porsche Taycan Rear axle steering (RAS) - gimmick or? headrest 1
Porsche Taycan Rear axle steering (RAS) - gimmick or? headrest 2

Last edited:

DirtRider

First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Check the performance package and go for it! This car is a driver's e-car and is not just about 0-60, rather about the fun of driving a true sports car.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Im not sure whether I should go for Rear axel steering or not? Is it worth the cost?
I've got it and its admittedly subtle. Seems handy at slow speeds, parking et.al., but I'm frankly not sure if I’d miss if I didn't have it.

kev0927

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Reading through this forum. I had optioned not to get the RAS option. Didn't think it was worth it. I test drove cars with and without. Just didn't think it added that much.
.. until I lived with it.

Due to delays I canceled my custom order and got a Turbo off the lot with all the perf features and I'm really glad I did.

Even though I live in suburbs there have been so many times where I've been really happy to have RAS. It just makes U-turns / general maneuvering more pleasant and less stressful.
I've always had big cars and with RAS my taycan feels like my old Cayman again. I love it. Worth it.

My rational: we're buying a Porsche for enjoyment and driving pleasure. Why hold back for 1% of cost? I'm really glad I got "stuck" with a Turbo it's made me see thing is a different light.

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
I've got it and its admittedly subtle. Seems handy at slow speeds, parking et.al., but I'm frankly not sure if I’d miss if I didn't have it.
I think you'd only miss it in the city, in parallel parking and in garages. If you park at home and in outdoor parking lots, can't really see the purpose. As for the highway speed RAS, I haven't noticed it at all.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
Im not sure whether I should go for Rear axel steering or not? Is it worth the cost?
I had a Tesla Model S for years and while I liked the convenience, the futuristic styling and features and the overall advanced tech of an EV, I always felt I was driving a boat. I also had a Porsche 911 Turbo S with every imaginable suspension and performance feature including 4 wheel steer. It's not fair to compare the Tesla to the Porsche, but I now have a Taycan Turbo S replacing the Tesla, and the rear wheel steering make the Taycan--same size as my former Tesla--perform like a true sports car.

Besides giving the car a sense of extended length at high speeds--more stability and a smoother ride--it's a must for maneuvering city parking lots and narrow streets. The Taycan turns like a car that's several feet shorter. I would rate this feature high up on your "must have" list as you equip your new car.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61