PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did you have any of those problems or did you just get preemptive fixes? My car runs fine so I have no interest in any of the recalls. They can do whatever when it goes in for its two year checkup.
This.

I haven't taken my car in a single time and it runs perfectly. Recalls are very often overreactions to very, very rare events.

IMHO the only "frenzy" is when people take their cars in for recalls when their car is working fine and it isn't an otherwise required appointment.
Sponsored

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I’m hoping that after the WMA5 update, PCM and CarPlay will be more reliable. Keeping my fingers crossed.
5 days after WMA5. So far, 5 for 5 with CarPlay working. Was it the WMA5 update or did the dealer do something else? Who know? As long as it works I'm happy.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
It might just be that the system was rebooted.

FL Taycan 4S

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did you have any of those problems or did you just get preemptive fixes? My car runs fine so I have no interest in any of the recalls. They can do whatever when it goes in for its two year checkup.
I am the same. My 2020 4S has been nearly flawless. No major errors, and I am hesitant to get the update.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
" I spoke to my service advisor and he said this update might fix a number of odd things people have reported..."
The service advisors have literally zero clue about what this fixes beyond the stated repair, and even then that description can be very ambiguous. They often have even less of a clue about the Taycan in general. I'm sure they meant well, but I can guarantee they are wrong, or the fixes would be noted.

Also, it's a TSB at best. If it's not noted in the national recall, it's not a recall.

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
The number of recalls on this car is getting ridiculous!
I mean, I'm glad things are being fixed...but I've never had a car with this many recalls in under a year of ownership.

So far I've had:

AMB5: The "sudden shutdown" fix
AMC1: The "hazard lights" fix
WNA5: The "power electronics and engine electronics (DME) software" fix

And after just getting the car out of service for WNA5 yesterday I now see I need:

WMP5: AC pressure sensor fix (note: have not been notified of this yet, but my car is in the affected range)
ANA4: Rear seat belt buckle fix (I just found this one on safercar.gov this morning.)

At least fixes are actively being pursued and applied, I suppose for that I am grateful.
They sold us a beta testing car (just like Tesla did) and we are the guinea pigs finding all the bugs and issues. By 2024 this car will be awesome. In the meantime (I have a TurboS 2021), we are spending more time at the shop (at least I am) than on the track. My confidence in Porsche is gone.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
They sold us a beta testing car (just like Tesla did) and we are the guinea pigs finding all the bugs and issues. By 2024 this car will be awesome. In the meantime (I have a TurboS 2021), we are spending more time at the shop (at least I am) than on the track. My confidence in Porsche is gone.
you are correct, the early tesla owners certainly were beta testers.

but back then tesla service was pretty responsive.
unlike today after putting hundreds of thousands of cars on the roads telsa has had limited expansion of their support systems.

Porsche appears to be just a bit inept in their tech implementation and their bureaucratic ways of needing approval for "every turn of a wrench" becomes very tedious for the owners.

SHM

First Name
oOo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
you are correct, the early tesla owners certainly were beta testers.

but back then tesla service was pretty responsive.
unlike today after putting hundreds of thousands of cars on the roads telsa has had limited expansion of their support systems.

Porsche appears to be just a bit inept in their tech implementation and their bureaucratic ways of needing approval for "every turn of a wrench" becomes very tedious for the owners.
I dont know man, I think its the other way around. Tesla up to around 2018 was deep in it.
By 2017 they were almost broke and had no service capacity, but sold a ton of cars.

But then they have been expanding the service centers, mobile services etc.
I do have both Porsche and Tesla, so I have experiences with this. For me at least it's the other way around, that Tesla is improving. Of course they are still a growing company and a young company compared to other car makers.

But they are at least trying to improve,which can not be said for all other car makers.
And I kindof anyways think that whatever problem a Tesla or antoher car has, it doesent make excuses for problems with a Porsche.... WIth this kindof logic it means that nobody has to improve, because everyone has some dirt under the carpet...

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I’m with you. I’m in my car 5 hours per week and I use streaming music 100% of that time, unless streaming doesn’t work. Then I move to FM radio. I don’t care how colorful the PCM UI is, I just need the UI to be glitch free. On my Tesla I wasn’t happy with their music selections so I installed an Amazon Echo Auto. This works well until it doesn’t (“Alexa has lost connection to the network”). Then I’m back to FM radio.
Bottom line: I’m willing to overlook common wireless network issues but the system itself needs to be reliable. I’m hoping that after the WMA5 update, PCM and CarPlay will be more reliable. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Like you, I spend a lot of time in my car, and I want either music or AM/FM radio. SiriusXM is a joke to me, not worth the money. What I have enjoyed for almost all my cars over 40 years is the ability to play my own music -- first, cassette tapes via cassette players, then CDs via single- and multi-disk CD changers in my cars, then JukeBox in my first Porsche (which held my personal music in the car's memory), USB flashdrive in my second Porsche, then SD card in my 2019 Porsche. I don't like listening to music put together by other people, generally; I like my own. I have a Spotify account with hundreds of selected songs, but it is a horrible interface to deal with in cars, and Spotify doesn't allow one to pick many songs from most groups (only selected ones), so I can't get whole albums of groups that I like (even from The Beatles and Led Zeppelin), and groups like CSNY are totally off Spotify now. And I don't put music on my iPhone for several reasons (space issues, hassle of doing so, etc.), so that's not an easy option for me, either. It's always been nice to have a "JukeBox"-like feature, or even a slot for inserting your flashdrive/SD card with your own music that stays in the car and is always available, even if you're out of cellphone range for Spotify, etc. (in the mountains, as I often am).

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I dont know man, I think its the other way around. Tesla up to around 2018 was deep in it.
By 2017 they were almost broke and had no service capacity, but sold a ton of cars.
what tesla lacked in service center locations the compensated with excellent customer service.
one time [2014] I was on the way to the airport and the dreaded failed contact message flashed, I called it in and they sent a flatbed from orlando to the jacksonville airport, picked up the car, repaired the car and returned the car to a spot close to where I had left it.

so in the early days the level of their service was impeccable.
then once they got past 100k model Ss sold and a terrible model X introduction things started to get a bit bad. I had a terrible time getting them to do the drive unit swap.

once the model 3 started then the poop hit the fan as they farmed out deliveries and customer service to vendors.
that coupled with their lack of service center expansion turned their servicing into a tedious gauntlet.

all that said when I had minor issues with the model 3 they were able to have a road ranger come to me and do the fixes.

now all that said, I have been to the porsche service four times in one year for software fixes and recalls.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Almost two years of Taycan ownership and 30,000 miles under my belt, so I welcome all of the software updates since it seems Porsche is slowly addressing the bigger issues. Eighteen months ago it was the dreaded 12v issues, and this latest round of software updates seems to address the random "electrical failure" warnings.

Is it taking Porsche a lot of time to address electrical issues with the car through software updates? Absolutely. Is it a pain in the ass to have to go to the dealership for the software updates when we thought we would be at a point where OTA's would be available? Sure is. Can I live with the slow loading XM Radio, or having to re-input my favorites every couple of months? I can, because the car puts a smile on my face every time I see it and drive it. Hell, just driving to Target is a pleasure.

Remember, it can always be worse. We could have bought a Ford Pinto.

Porsche Taycan Recall Frenzy SparseLateAegeancat-size_restricted

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Cute discussion. Ever owned a Lotus or a Ducati ;)
Yes; the Lotus (s1 Elise) had me doing something to it nearly every weekend (I daily drove it when the weather permitted)- but at least it was basic enough to work on :)
Sponsored