Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
How are you guys using the recuperation button on the left side of the steering wheel? Was playing about with it today trying to figure out when or how best to use it.
Sponsored

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I find auto quite handy. It’s lazy in and around town as it slows if it sees cars in front or coasts when no traffic.

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag
I like and use it a lot, especially when not on the motorways. It does assist with deceleration and recovering some energy back into the battery.

Only slight annoyance I find, is that it de-activates when you change driving mode. I know it is only a button press to activate it again, but that is just a bit of a personal niggle.

What I haven't tested yet is the difference between normal regeneration and auto-regen

mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I use it around town as well. Mostly to help slow the vehicle down quicker because I keep hammering the accelerator. I really like that it's on the steering wheel.

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I thought it was automatic. I need to try it over the next few days to understand it better. I just wonder if there is a power advantage as when we brake we know we are harvesting energy so I kind of feel it’s pointless. Need to try it out though.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Coasting all the way for me. I use the button on the wheel when I switch to sport modes since they have regen on by default which I've learned to dislike.

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Coasting all the way for me. I use the button on the wheel when I switch to sport modes since they have regen on by default which I've learned to dislike.
So your switching it off in sports modes? I guess that’s the most natural setting.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
I actually found the opposite. When giving it some beans without regen enabled the car coasts and you don’t get that “engine braking” effect which happens the moment you let off the throttle and shifts the balance onto the front axel for turn-in. Until I enabled regen in sport plus for some B road driving I kept wishing I had paddles to down shift and force the effect. The button placement on the steering wheel is a great idea I think, as in traffic it felt more natural to have it gently coast and glide around.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I actually found the opposite. When giving it some beans without regen enabled the car coasts and you don’t get that “engine braking” effect which happens the moment you let off the throttle and shifts the balance onto the front axel for turn-in. Until I enabled regen in sport plus for some B road driving I kept wishing I had paddles to down shift and force the effect. The button placement on the steering wheel is a great idea I think, as in traffic it felt more natural to have it gently coast and glide around.
Trail braking made a little easier

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I use it going down long mountain passes the way I would downshift in a stick shift car. That way I don't have to keep my foot on the brakes.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
How are you guys using the recuperation button on the left side of the steering wheel? Was playing about with it today trying to figure out when or how best to use it.
I use it in hilly Seattle quite a bit, also as a downshift.

It would be much better however for Porsche to include recuperation with a paddle. We have this on our $40k Kia Nero EV. With the Nero you can “downshift” and “upshift” at several levels with paired paddles, adjusting the percentage recuperation and speed.

Miss this on the Taycan.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I use it going down long mountain passes the way I would downshift in a stick shift car. That way I don't have to keep my foot on the brakes.
Cruise control does the same thing, only better - it is a predictable speed. And adaptive cruise control follows the RV in front of you while coming down the mountain and recharges the battery nicely.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I didn’t know until today that a long press of the recup button turns on auto mode. I only had used it as on and off. Most of the time on auto it works to slow the car down IF it senses a car in front. It’s not 100% accurate.

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Sorry, newbie owner question ( 2 days in) Is regen supposed to be set in certain modes, as in factory modes?

Is it the sport and sport plus mode that gave it set on?

Car feels more natural without it on, but I find the brakes a bit poor without it?

With sonic, that regen seems to add a bit in sports modes as feels more eventful.

Does regen add much and what does it actually do?

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
I use it all the time, except range mode (which I never use for regular driving). I like it because it slows the car down like driving a car with a manual transmission. Plus it adds a little bit back to the battery, and more if you are on a long downhill coast.
Sponsored