pdavison

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Velar, Harley Davidson Sportster
Country flag
This forum really is great, noticed a marked difference in braking performance yesterday and more 'green' on the power meter under braking. I wasn't sure the reason but a little search and it would appear my running in period is finally up (1,600 miles though!).
Sponsored

Polar993

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 720s, Porsche 993, Alpina Z8, Ferrari 328,
Country flag
Like others have posted, I noticed the green recuperation of energy in the power meter since day-one when I picked up my 2023 Taycan ST GTS. The power meter would should green recuperation as soon as I lifted off the throttle (when the regenerative braking setting was turned on) and when I would apply the brakes.

I now have 750 miles on the car and I do quite a bit of spirited driving, so I would assume my standard (non PSCB or PCCB) brakes are providing some degree of regen by now. I don't notice the recuperation in the power meter being any stronger now than when the car had only 50 miles on it. Seems and feels about the same to me.

I have noticed that my total range has increased a bit. At 100% charge I am now showing a total range of 215 miles....when the car was brand new, the 100% charge was only showing 205 miles of range. I am hoping my total range continues to improve and I break in the car and the battery.

So should I not set the drive mode to have brake regen turned on? Sport Plus mode and Sport mode seem to turn on the regen by default.

I also do notice that I have been getting a decent amount of brake dust on my wheels during these first 700 miles of use. I certainly understand that I don't have the ceramic brakes or the surface coated brakes (really wish I had the surface coated brakes), but I'm hoping the brake dust starts to reduce when I start to realize the full potential of the regenerative braking.

Some guidance here would be helpful.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Brake dust will get less as your magnets brake you more and your discs and pads less.
It doesn’t matter what kind of brakes you have for regen as the brakes have nothing to do with regen.
Regen braking is just the electric motors reversing polarity.
Any increase in range if you have only had the car a while is much more to do with increased ambient temperature. It will get better and better towards summer.
When your estimated range takes a nose dive next winter it’s not because regen has stopped working.
it’s just cold.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Like others have posted, I noticed the green recuperation of energy in the power meter since day-one when I picked up my 2023 Taycan ST GTS. The power meter would should green recuperation as soon as I lifted off the throttle (when the regenerative braking setting was turned on) and when I would apply the brakes.

I now have 750 miles on the car and I do quite a bit of spirited driving, so I would assume my standard (non PSCB or PCCB) brakes are providing some degree of regen by now. I don't notice the recuperation in the power meter being any stronger now than when the car had only 50 miles on it. Seems and feels about the same to me.

I have noticed that my total range has increased a bit. At 100% charge I am now showing a total range of 215 miles....when the car was brand new, the 100% charge was only showing 205 miles of range. I am hoping my total range continues to improve and I break in the car and the battery.

So should I not set the drive mode to have brake regen turned on? Sport Plus mode and Sport mode seem to turn on the regen by default.

I also do notice that I have been getting a decent amount of brake dust on my wheels during these first 700 miles of use. I certainly understand that I don't have the ceramic brakes or the surface coated brakes (really wish I had the surface coated brakes), but I'm hoping the brake dust starts to reduce when I start to realize the full potential of the regenerative braking.

Some guidance here would be helpful.
Brake dust should definitely go down - unless your braking behavior is to push them hard every time you use them. But the Taycan will use the discs the first few km/miles every day anyway, and for the last bit of stopping fully. And those hard decelerations.

Taycan mixes disc and regen braking independently of how you activate them. The slight regen-on-liftoff setting is 100% equivalent to a soft push on the brake pedal. For driving with least hassle you may prefer that regen-on-liftoff setting. But since preserving kinetic energy is more efficient than regenning first an acceleration after, coasting (no regen on liftoff) gives the best range in practice.

I think the settings for Sport... are that way to mimic an ICE car, while Normal is thought of as more optimal for the technology we actually have.
Sponsored