Regeneration dial

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Yesterday I charged to 100% a couple of times as we went for a day trip. At my destination I plugged the car into a 50kw charger ( charge rate only 34kw) and the car charged back to 100% while we had lunch.

on the return trip I noticed something about the regen dial that I have not noticed before. The amount of grey arc (which turns green when braking) is dynamic in that the length of the grey arc charges with state of charge. At 100% charge the arc only extends about 10-15 degrees but as the battery percentage drop the arc grows to a little over 90 degrees arc when the battery drops to around 95% ( at this point the arc remains static meaning you can obtain full regen). but even at 100%SoC it still looks like there is some regen going on.

i didn’t get any pics or video as too busy driving, but next time I will try to get my passenger to grab a quick video.

has anyone else noticed the same?
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Even when the battery is full, the MGU still has some breaking power, just that the energy is dissipated as heat, instead of power, so you will still feel some braking.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Yesterday I charged to 100% a couple of times as we went for a day trip. At my destination I plugged the car into a 50kw charger ( charge rate only 34kw) and the car charged back to 100% while we had lunch.

on the return trip I noticed something about the regen dial that I have not noticed before. The amount of grey arc (which turns green when braking) is dynamic in that the length of the grey arc charges with state of charge. At 100% charge the arc only extends about 10-15 degrees but as the battery percentage drop the arc grows to a little over 90 degrees arc when the battery drops to around 95% ( at this point the arc remains static meaning you can obtain full regen). but even at 100%SoC it still looks like there is some regen going on.

i didn’t get any pics or video as too busy driving, but next time I will try to get my passenger to grab a quick video.

Porsche Brake and battery management seem to go hand-in-hand. With no regenerative braking when you first drive off for the day (or after six hours) the brakes get cleaned / seated and some battery use occurs so if you left at 100% State of Charge (SOC) you quickly use some battery power that allows the regenerative brakes to work efficiently. Not sure the planning was that clever but the results are clever.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I never noticed that - but I"ve also rarely been at 100% - learn something new every day!!!

thanks @jetbox

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag

You will get almost zero regen at 100% but it will improve as it gets to 90% or less

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I noticed this recently. It makes sense and is quite enlightening. How much power it can put back into the battery from braking works the same way as charging does. It's possible to charge much faster at lower states of charge, but with very high state of charge the max charging speed is slow. It works exactly the same way with the brake regen.
Sponsored