Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
Has anyone figured out how to use charging profiles but get rid of the 25% minimum charge?

The reason I ask - I arrive home at 9pm, I have about 10% battery left. I want to plug in my car and relax, however my car will then charge to 25% straight away and then it stops and then charges overnight. However I am then not using my cheap rate of 7.5p but 29p to get up to 25%.

I have a wall charger, but I don't want to be messing around with timers on here as we have more than one EV (the other is setup on Intelligent Octopus which manages the charge times).

It is not a big deal, but it does mildly annoy me.

Thanks
Sponsored

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I feel the same.
Same arrangement. The other EV is programmed to Octopus Intelligent and the Taycan charges freely.

I also get very frustrated by this nannying. I would love to figure out how to get rid of the mandatory below 25% charge now rule

I have been known, when the battery is well below 25%, to stay up until 23.30 to plug in my Taycan so I don’t have to pay 30p per kw.

It’s bizarre, like HAVING to fill up an ICE tank immediately if you only have 1/4 tank left. I’ll do it when I want thanks.

Another nannying thing with EVs that infuriates me is below a certain percentage the car won’t preheat.

I might only want to drive 3 miles home in slow traffic for 15 minutes but I want to get in a warm car on a cold night.

10%battery is enough energy to pre heat my car AND get home but my Taycan won’t preheat if it’s below 25%.

I know it’s only on 25%!
FFS let me be the judge of whether I have enough energy to pre heat AND get home and
LET ME CHARGE WHEN I WANT!

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Just turn all profiles off.
Trouble with this is it just charges straight away anyway.
it’s the profile that requests the optimal cheap rate charging.
23.30-05.30 in my case.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I’m not aware of any way to not have the car charge to at least 25% immediately regardless of any setting. It’s a min for both timers and profiles.

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
As @Murph7355 suggests, one viable "solution" here is to deactivate all profiles and only have one timer. I set mine arbitrarily as if I am going to leave at 5AM and want 85%. Pick a time near the end of your "cheap power" window, and you should see:
  • car only charges using cheap power
  • you can plug it in whenever you want in the evening without worrying
Those are (at least for me) the two key features. Yes, it would be cool if I could say "start at 2100 and go until 85%", but until I can figure out how to do that, I think this is better than what the profiles offer.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
My Audi Etron has no minimum charge setting of 25%. Even if on 0% it will wait patiently until told when to charge at night in the cheap rate by the timer.

The minimum charge setting is 50% however. There is no way to request it to charge to any less.
Bizarre how different the approaches are as Audi and Porsche are the same company.
The VW id3 I rented was completely different again. Mad
No joined up thinking

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
As @Murph7355 suggests, one viable "solution" here is to deactivate all profiles and only have one timer. I set mine arbitrarily as if I am going to leave at 5AM and want 85%. Pick a time near the end of your "cheap power" window, and you should see:
  • car only charges using cheap power
  • you can plug it in whenever you want in the evening without worrying
Those are (at least for me) the two key features. Yes, it would be cool if I could say "start at 2100 and go until 85%", but until I can figure out how to do that, I think this is better than what the profiles offer.
Manual says timer min is 25%.

Porsche Taycan Remove the 25% minimum charge IMG_8801

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Disable the OI integration with your other car and enable integration with the EVSE itself (assuming you have a compatible EVSE, eg Ohm or Zappa etc). Then either car car benefit from OI behaviour.

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
Its the ‘home’ profile that demands an immediate charge to a set minimum charge level…the thinking is that you always have this minimum charge in your car if you have an emergency need for a trip out. Deleting this profile should stop the car charging as soon as you plug it in.
you need a location - independent profile to avoid this, which for some reason can only be created in car, not via the app.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Has anyone figured out how to use charging profiles but get rid of the 25% minimum charge?

The reason I ask - I arrive home at 9pm, I have about 10% battery left. I want to plug in my car and relax, however my car will then charge to 25% straight away and then it stops and then charges overnight. However I am then not using my cheap rate of 7.5p but 29p to get up to 25%.

I have a wall charger, but I don't want to be messing around with timers on here as we have more than one EV (the other is setup on Intelligent Octopus which manages the charge times).

It is not a big deal, but it does mildly annoy me.

Thanks
Yes,.don't use My Porsche app and switch energy provider to OVO, Octopus others who offer intelligent charging using their own app.

I can only talk to OVO but their Charge Anytime app lets me dial down to 0% minimum should I feel the need.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Its the ‘home’ profile that demands an immediate charge to a set minimum charge level…the thinking is that you always have this minimum charge in your car if you have an emergency need for a trip out. Deleting this profile should stop the car charging as soon as you plug it in.
you need a location - independent profile to avoid this, which for some reason can only be created in car, not via the app.
The General Profile is location independent and can be configured via My Porsche App BUT also has a predfined minimum of 25%.

Not looked at creating another non location based profile via the PCM but sounds like it will do the job.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Yes,.don't use My Porsche app and switch energy provider to OVO, Octopus others who offer intelligent charging using their own app.

I can only talk to OVO but their Charge Anytime app lets me dial down to 0% minimum should I feel the need.
IO only has a target state, no minimum.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
My Audi Etron has no minimum charge setting of 25%. Even if on 0% it will wait patiently until told when to charge at night in the cheap rate by the timer.

The minimum charge setting is 50% however. There is no way to request it to charge to any less.
Bizarre how different the approaches are as Audi and Porsche are the same company.
The VW id3 I rented was completely different again. Mad
No joined up thinking
Didn't VAG lay off a load of their software side? Not tricky to see why 🙂

The charging side has good intent, but is over complicated. It's typically German over thought.

The PCM has the opposite foibles - not enough thought.

5% less on charging, 5% more on PCM and it'd all be near perfect.

Both feel like they were written by someone who never really uses a car day to day, or perhaps specifically a Taycan. Or came straight off the grad program.

For steering wheel controls, for example, the Porsche software guys should each be given a different car to live with for 6mths - a good example being an XC90.