Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Amazon has not added Siri support, specifically because they want you go buy an Echo Auto.
I've been using Amazon Echo Auto for about 1-1/2 yrs now, and it works fine and have few complaints. Once in awhile it says "Your Alexa Auto has lost connection to your phone" and I need to turn Bluetooth off and then on again and it starts working. This happens a couple of times a year.
When it works, it works well.
So far in the Taycan, its been working fine. It gives me the same touch free voice control of music that I have on the model Y.
Sponsored

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I've been using Amazon Echo Auto for about 1-1/2 yrs now, and it works fine and have few complaints. Once in awhile it says "Your Alexa Auto has lost connection to your phone" and I need to turn Bluetooth off and then on again and it starts working. This happens a couple of times a year.
When it works, it works well.
So far in the Taycan, its been working fine. It gives me the same touch free voice control of music that I have on the model Y.
Yeah, if it works for you, then that's all good. My point is simply that Amazon forced you to buy that extra device to get hands free support.

Spotify, for example, does integrate with Siri, so you can ask your phone to play music on Spotify and it works. No extra device needed.

Deleted member 6348

I’ve driven Tesla cars through friends and through Turo. Despite the transcendent hype machine, they always left me cold. I didn’t want my own EV until I drove a Taycan.

A Model Y costs $63k, but it’s a not a $63k driving experience. The interior feels like an economy car. It’s fitting that they’re joining rental car fleets — it’s the Nissan Altima of electric cars.

In that price tier, I’d rather have a Hyundai Ioniq 5. It’s cheaper, yet better built, and that’s before you even get to the tax credit. Unlike the dorky Model Y, the Hyundai is actually a fine looking car with brilliant design details. Every owner that I talk to just loves their Ioniq 5 and I’ve talked to at least a dozen of them at this point.

Porsche Taycan Rented a Model Y EB1FB4F6-9B2B-4A22-A5FC-626E9B4072C0

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Sanity check. The AC is not set to Eco / Eco Plus right?
A good thought because I didn’t even know that was a thing.
However no. But the “sprinkler head” mode was on. Trying that off.
Porsche Taycan Rented a Model Y C619FDA9-4CB1-4CD5-BCAC-B59DE744B9C3

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I’ve driven Tesla cars through friends and through Turo. Despite the transcendent hype machine, they always left me cold. I didn’t want my own EV until I drove a Taycan.

A Model Y costs $63k, but it’s a not a $63k driving experience. The interior feels like an economy car. It’s fitting that they’re joining rental car fleets — it’s the Nissan Altima of electric cars.

In that price tier, I’d rather have a Hyundai Ioniq 5. It’s cheaper, yet better built, and that’s before you even get to the tax credit. Unlike the dorky Model Y, the Hyundai is actually a fine looking car with brilliant design details. Every owner that I talk to just loves their Ioniq 5 and I’ve talked to at least a dozen of them at this point.

EB1FB4F6-9B2B-4A22-A5FC-626E9B4072C0.jpeg
Just here to say that you have to love the commitment of the mad bar steward who fitted that to their Ionic, absolute kudos :rock:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I was using Amazon Music.

But thanks for the tip " No, the iPhone has an "always on" listening mode for Siri as well. It's completely hands free, and the phone can be locked with the screen off. ". I'll give this a try. I've nver had much luck with Siri.
Afaik, Siri doesn't (want to) launch other music apps like Spotify.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Afaik, Siri doesn't (want to) launch other music apps like Spotify.
For $20.-, I think I'll stick with the Echo Auto. One other thing which is nice is that my music subscription services works on all the Alexa devices I have in the house.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I'm on Apple Music for years... don't have (don't want/need/whatever) Alexa devices in the house :angel:

danp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D, Model 3 LR
Country flag
After a day with the thing...
  • Getting used to the one-pedal-driving. It super-offended me at first but it's already starting to feel normal.
  • It's a lot faster than my base Taycan off the line
  • Really appreciating the seamless radio and increasingly bitter about it.
  • Still can't wait to get back into my Taycan.
The funny thing with one pedal driving is that it's the one thing that keeps many Tesla owners (including me) from seriously considering the Taycan. It does take a few days to get used to it, but for most, it's hard to go back to having to use the brake pedal. Car just feels so much more in control, especially when weaving in and out of traffic.

Wish Porsche would just offer a more aggressive regen setting.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The funny thing with one pedal driving is that it's the one thing that keeps many Tesla owners (including me) from seriously considering the Taycan. It does take a few days to get used to it, but for most, it's hard to go back to having to use the brake pedal. Car just feels so much more in control, especially when weaving in and out of traffic.

Wish Porsche would just offer a more aggressive regen setting.
I have one pedal driving on my Husqvarna ride on mower and I am sort of used to it now but didn’t like it at all on a car.
I can see the software is much simpler if the brake pedal doesn’t need to blend in regeneration and friction brakes but one of the reasons I wouldn’t have a Tesla is it not driving like a car, I’m an old bloke, and the other is I find faux leather horrid to sit on, and black or white a totally rubbish choice.

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
Just here to say that you have to love the commitment of the mad bar steward who fitted that to their Ionic, absolute kudos :rock:
I second that!

It really looks pretty cool on that car, I see a strong resemblance between the Ionic 5 and the Lancia Delta Integrale

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Well my base Taycan has coil suspension too, but it doesn't feel like this thing.

As for regen options they are not present at all...apparently a recent-ish change, as my wife's 2018 has regen settings.
The suspension is total garbage in the 3/Y. Not sure how anyone that has any understanding of automobiles or experience in a decent car can drive these and fall in love with Tesla.
You also feel like you're riding in a tin can.

The only good part of the 3/Y is the low dash and Porsche like bonnet visability

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The funny thing with one pedal driving is that it's the one thing that keeps many Tesla owners (including me) from seriously considering the Taycan
I had no problem going from the Tesla Y to the Taycan in regard to one pedal driving. As far as I'm concerned, the Tesla "one pedal driving" is not really one pedal: when you need to brake you use the brake pedal. Of course, if you drive carefully the number times in a day where you might need to use the second pedal is low. In the Y, I could make it to the office sometimes without using the brake pedal at all.

In my Taycan, I have recoup/regen always turned on and find that it works similarly to the Tesla though the regen is not as strong. Though not as strong, the Taycan regen still works fine and I can normally get to work in the AM using the brake pedal maybe once or twice.

There are three big advantages the Taycan has over the Tesla when it comes to regen:

- the Taycan brake regen is very strong. This is due to the 800v architecture of the Taycan which allows regen to work at much greater power then you could get in the Tesla.

- A hard brake with the Taycan will still use regen, while in the Tesla there is no regen when you use the brake pedal.

- with the Taycan, you can choose if you want recoup on or not (with recoup off on the Taycan, the car will coast), but with the Tesla, its always on.

Bottom line: the regen in the Taycan versus the Tesla is simply a matter of degree. The Tesla has more braking power when you remove your foot from the accelerator pedal, but the Taycan (with recoup turned on) still does a good job in slowing the car down. On the other hand, the Taycan will slow the car down and generate power to recharge the battery when you use the brake pedal, which the Tesla will not.

Last edited:

danp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D, Model 3 LR
Country flag
Bottom line: the regen in the Taycan versus the Tesla is simply a matter of degree. The Tesla has more braking power when you remove your foot from the accelerator pedal, but the Taycan (with recoup turned on) still does a good job in slowing the car down. On the other hand, the Taycan will slow the car down and generate power to recharge the battery when you use the brake pedal, which the Tesla will not.
That's actually very helpful, I haven't seen this level of detail in the comparison before. Might just have to see if I can test drive one somewhere!