daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I see no way using just a general profile to have the vehicle charge to 85% but only do so during “approved hours”

you can set the general profile to 85% “minimum” priority charge, but this will ignore “approved charging times”
Sponsored

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I see no way using just a general profile to have the vehicle charge to 85% but only do so during “approved hours”

you can set the general profile to 85% “minimum” priority charge, but this will ignore “approved charging times”
The message I responded to specifically said: "I have a fixed rate all day, so I just want it to start charging right away when I plug in".

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if they would just allow 85% w/approved charging times setting - we’d be done.

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
if they would just allow 85% w/approved charging times setting - we’d be done.
Errr, doesn't the video at post #4 tell you how to do just that? Or am I being dense again...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@mikeyyn from what I can see you can't setup a general policy to:
  • charge to 85%
  • but only charge between the hours of 12 am and 7 am
if you set the general profile to 85% - it will immediately charge when you plug in…and will not wait.

the porsche charging UI is terrible and needs to be greatly simplified.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
You need to make sure that your timer is set for everyday of the week. I found that I only had the timer set for weekdays. Then on Saturday it would suddenly charge to 100%.

Porsche still needs to offer a simple charge to XX% during hours XX-XX and be done. This timer and profile BS is really frustrating.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

For those who don't have the Home Energy Manager (which is all US customers and probably all but three EU customers), if you want to charge during specific hours, you need a profile and a timer. I agree it's confusing until all the pieces connect for you then it just works.

Profile is based on a location and is where you set preferred charging times (based on the hours of cheapest electricity at that location) and the minimum charge level. The profile charge level is the minimum the car will charge to immediately without regard to preferred charging times. Once that minimum is reached, charging will stop unless there is a timer. If there is one or more timers active, the next departure time and target charge level will be used as the goal and charging will start, no earlier than the start of the preferred charging times, to achieve the target charge level in the timer by the departure time. Timers can also turn on the heater/AC (in conjunction with or completely independently of charging). This isn't a functionality problem (it's powerful and flexible). It's a documentation problem.

If your electricity costs are constant, you don't need a timer - just set the minimum charge level in your profile and be done with it. But chances are your utility company offers a time of use rate plan, and if you drive even a hundred miles a week, you will actually lower your electric bill even considering the cost to charge the car if you learn how to take advantage of it. I've been doing just that for the last 8 years.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
It was the «General Profile» yes. Set at 85% minimum charge. Keeps on going till 100%....
I created a new profile to charge to 85% between Certain hours. It kept charging to 100%. Another profile with 85% and no time range works correctly. I think timers are buggy.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Errr, doesn't the video at post #4 tell you how to do just that? Or am I being dense again...
Yes that video is a very good instruction on how to set up the charging. Well worth to repat and repeat since these questions come up regularly.

That video should be set up as a Wiki

Here is a link to that video again!

You might find this useful

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I'm not doubting the reasons can be legit (lower power costs at night, competing/limited power availability in a home, etc), but I'ld be curious how many folks really need/want the "timed" charging and specifically the reason(s).

I'ld be curious:

- What percentage of EV owners need the ability to set a timed charge?
- What was the distribution of reasons for this?
- Where those owners lived (Country, State)?

Personally, I don't need it and never have. We don't have time rated power in my area of the country... (Luckily)

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm not doubting the reasons can be legit (lower power costs at night, competing/limited power availability in a home, etc), but I'ld be curious how many folks really need/want the "timed" charging and specifically the reason(s).

I'ld be curious:

- What percentage of EV owners need the ability to set a timed charge?
- What was the distribution of reasons for this?
- Where those owners lived (Country, State)?

Personally, I don't need it and never have. We don't have time rated power in my area of the country... (Luckily)
There is almost an 80% difference for me in peak vs. off peak electricity cost (Raleigh area, NC). When I bought the Tesla model S in 2012, once we switched to the time of use plan our electric bill went down, even after we started charging the car. We saved more than we added from the car. YMMV.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PG&E in northern california has multiple residential rates possible - some a same price all day - others are TOU (time of use) - they specifically have an EV rate - really really cheap power at night and no base line (so you don’t get tiered billing) - so you need a timer if you’re going to charge your EV with the cheapest rates - otherwise the “peak” rate approaches partity with gasoline costs…

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti...cle-base-plan/electric-vehicle-base-plan.page

$0.17/kWh off peak vs. $0.48/kWh on peak

Last edited:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I charge at night, just to be nicer to the grid. For the Bolt, I just set it to be done by 4:30am. I charge the Taycan so irregularly that I don't really have a pattern yet.

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
Still got issues with charging. This used to be working ok but now for the last few weeks has stopped again. Have a profile set up to do preferred charging between 00:30 to 04:30 (for low energy prices) and a timer set to depart at 04:30 with a target of 85%. The problem is that if the car is sitting below the threshold of reaching 85% between the preferred charging times it simply doesn’t charge at all - rather than just charging whatever percentage it can between the times and then stopping until the next day.