Silencing the Trunk Beeper

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ok, I give. How is this a safety issue? I can’t think of a situation where having the trunk beep improves safety. It’s not like it is going to hurt you if you “accidentally” close the trunk on your arm. And even if you were concerned about that, why would it need to beep when opening???
Sponsored

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
This is rather interesting as my Taycan has never beeped at all when opening or closing the trunk. Not once. And I didn't ask my dealership about this at all.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Not in the UK either. This it’s a US thing. I’d cut the cable.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
This is rather interesting as my Taycan has never beeped at all when opening or closing the trunk. Not once. And I didn't ask my dealership about this at all.
Mine does it of I close the trunk from the inside on the screen. Then it beeps, but nothing else.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
After reading all the posts on this forum about the trunk beep volume reduction, I added it to the delivery checklist for my dealership to perform. The Taycan-trained master mechanic could not find anything about PIWIS configuration of this setting in the English-language service documentation. Fortunately, he is fluent in German, and was able to find some vague reference in the German documentation. That led him to the beep volume setting in PIWIS, with selections from 1 to 7, but no apparent way to save the setting. He was however able to completely turn it off. As an earlier post mentioned, beeping may still be enabled for an obstruction, but I haven't tested that.

taycan4s2020

First Name
Viriya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
The trunk speaker is terribly loud.

I live in a multi-owner condo conversion victorian house. The driveway is right outside my downstairs neighbors bedroom windows.

Opening (and then closing) the trunk while my neighbors are sleeping is probably quite annoying. Almost as annoying as people who have cars that honk their horns when they lock or unlock. But I digress.

So I asked my local Service Department to quiet down or turn off the blasted beeping.
Their (completely understandable) reply was: “We can’t do that because it’s a safety feature.” Sigh. Lawyers win again. “But... here’s how to remove the interior panel of the trunk...”

Ok. So, I opened it up. There’s the annoying speaker. Hmm... maybe I can make it quieter. I’ll cover both sides of the speaker with sound absorbing materials.

Nope. Fail. Didn’t significantly reduce the noise.

Ok then, now it’s unplugged. Hopefully it won’t throw a code.

The only regret is I also lose the warning beep if the trunk hits an obstacle when trying to close. I’ll just have to watch it more closely. I got used to turning my back and walking away, listening for the “failed to close” beep.

Golden Silence.

DC52FAD9-AC2F-4A6D-9BA6-914008CAEDFF.jpeg
E08458FF-FADC-4A09-9889-F758E5D5A119.jpeg
290CEAF5-2946-4F46-A7E5-E8EC7FFE82B4.jpeg
CE279B64-8839-43A0-A6EC-8E43A61EC40A.jpeg
955C771F-5910-435F-84CD-5A1AE7547968.jpeg
Thank you for this.. I followed your pics and unplugged it.. I was embarrassed by the beeping noise while opening.. I understand the beeping while closing but why when it’s opening. It feels more like a luxury car now and not a moving truck backing up. I have it unplugged for about a couple of weeks and no error code.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I hope this is not a mandatory function in Switzerland. As my wife’s Macan does not do this I am hoping it is not something they are adding to the Taycan.

taycan4s2020

First Name
Viriya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I hope this is not a mandatory function in Switzerland. As my wife’s Macan does not do this I am hoping it is not something they are adding to the Taycan.
SwissTaycan, I think it’s just for the USA models.. maybe..
I do know that my friends and family’s Cayenne, Macan, and Panamera have the beeping noise during opening and closing...years 2005-2020.
im sure a third-party reseller might have turned off or lowered the volume but my Porsche dealer even told me it can’t be changed.. as other members have said..for safety..
honestly if someone cant see that a trunk is closing.. they shouldn’t be around a car much less driving it.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I was in the transportation industry. when my trucks backed up during the night, in a residential area, the 'beep beep' disturbed people. I had put a switch instead of disconnecting it. if the driver had an inspection on the road, everything was functional. he turned his switch off only at night in the residential area. and There you go
But this isn’t backing up, it’s a fckng trunk opening. Why would they force you to have a loud beeping sound just to open the trunk? Nonsense.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
It beeps (repeats while in motion) when it raises the trunk. Same when lowering trunk.

It also gives a different beep when something blocks it from closing.

Do you have a source of “quieter speakers that plug directly into a Taycan including the mounting points in the trunk sheetmetal”? I don’t. So I unplugged it.
I would just remove the entire speaker; how is a beeping trunk opening/closing considered a safety mandate, but the car itself doesn’t been when reversing? Stupid.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Because you live in the happiest country. They wouldn't dare do anything to upset you ;)

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
After reading all the posts on this forum about the trunk beep volume reduction, I added it to the delivery checklist for my dealership to perform. The Taycan-trained master mechanic could not find anything about PIWIS configuration of this setting in the English-language service documentation. Fortunately, he is fluent in German, and was able to find some vague reference in the German documentation. That led him to the beep volume setting in PIWIS, with selections from 1 to 7, but no apparent way to save the setting. He was however able to completely turn it off. As an earlier post mentioned, beeping may still be enabled for an obstruction, but I haven't tested that.
Are you able to get details of the appreciate setting so that we can pass the details onto the dealers who don’t have access to the information?

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Are you able to get details of the appreciate setting so that we can pass the details onto the dealers who don’t have access to the information?
I thought the trunk beeper issue was US only? I certainly don't have it in my Norwegian car.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I thought the trunk beeper issue was US only? I certainly don't have it in my Norwegian car.
Me neither in Spain if I close it from the trunk. However it beeps if I close it from the interior of the car which makes a little sense as you do not have a direct view.
Sponsored