Software update decreasing range of 4S and making the car think it is RWD with smaller battery

OP
OP
DMTaycan

DMTaycan

First Name
Deya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 718, Audi 8, Audi A5
Country flag
DMTaycan thanks for the advice about running the battery down to 3%. Will give that a try
You are welcome
Sponsored

kendoc

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 ct
Country flag
Did you run the battery down as DMTaycan described or did it increase on its own?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Did you run the battery down as DMTaycan described or did it increase on its own?
I’m not an engineer, so i don’t understand how would that increase the range.
I’m also back on my +400km…after almost three months after uPdate.
The lowest range (charged or calculated to 100%SoC) was 360km, two days ago, I got 419km, ie. 260miles…

usually, i’m charging when the battery is between 20-30%… just few times it was about 10-15%.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m not an engineer, so i don’t understand how would that increase the range.
I’m also back on my +400km…after almost three months after uPdate.
The lowest range (charged or calculated to 100%SoC) was 360km, two days ago, I got 419km, ie. 260miles…

usually, i’m charging when the battery is between 20-30%… just few times it was about 10-15%.
Yep, I don't think it's relevant.

Reactions: B61

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was changing my tires this week to winter ones and the mechanic noticed that the wrong summer tire size was entered in the car PCM (Probably happened during the uPdate which seems to bring it to default 20in).
Suggest you check if you have the right tire size as this impact the range calculation by the PCM.

kendoc

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 ct
Country flag
So I have been pursuing a theory that the 30% decrease in range relates to the update thinking I have the smaller battery. The Cross Turismo has the 93kWh battery stock, but if the update thinks I have a smaller battery it will decrease the range significantly. It may affect consumption depending on how that is calculated.

My dealership says there is only 1 update and the dealership does not choose battery size or model when doing the update...Is that true? Coincidentally, either the dealership or the factory entered purchase date incorrectly as I was getting the 2 year inspection and tire sealant notifications when I have only owned the car 7 months. So maybe they entered the model wrong too? He is looking into that....

I have been speaking with another member who had the 30% decrease in range and he has the larger battery option too. Is that a common thread?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So I have been pursuing a theory that the 30% decrease in range relates to the update thinking I have the smaller battery. The Cross Turismo has the 93kWh battery stock, but if the update thinks I have a smaller battery it will decrease the range significantly. It may affect consumption depending on how that is calculated.

My dealership says there is only 1 update and the dealership does not choose battery size or model when doing the update...Is that true? Coincidentally, either the dealership or the factory entered purchase date incorrectly as I was getting the 2 year inspection and tire sealant notifications when I have only owned the car 7 months. So maybe they entered the model wrong too? He is looking into that....

I have been speaking with another member who had the 30% decrease in range and he has the larger battery option too. Is that a common thread?
Remember that any calcs you do must be based on the net battery (not the gross) and for the PB+ this is 83.7kWh and not 93.4kWh (this is the gross number).

I had the 30% decrease for around a month and now getting around 238 miles on a full charge (which is good for UK weather / temps etc).

Smart Service is not particularly 'Smart' - you can edit the settings and disable various features under options within the PCM.

I don't think there is a correlation here between PB / PB+ when uPdate was applied.

I also had no recuperation or Smart Lift for around 2 weeks post uPdate.

All back to normal now.

I didn't bother my dealer as they are at best clueless on this level of detail as no one has hands on experience with these cars other than the owners - major fail IMHO.

Reactions: B61

kendoc

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 ct
Country flag
I am thinking that the 30% decrease has the PB+/ large battery in common. 3 out of 3 of the owners who noticed 30% decrease that I have asked have the larger battery.

Probably not related to the 5-10% change noted by other owners.

Also I wonder if the technique of running down the battery to 3% and then charging it to 100% is "teaching" the software that you have a larger battery.

All theory at this point I know

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am thinking that the 30% decrease has the PB+/ large battery in common. 3 out of 3 of the owners who noticed 30% decrease that I have asked have the larger battery.

Probably not related to the 5-10% change noted by other owners.

Also I wonder if the technique of running down the battery to 3% and then charging it to 100% is "teaching" the software that you have a larger battery.

All theory at this point I know
I think it's MY21 cars in general.

kendoc

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 ct
Country flag
Just a long term update for those of you who have the same problem.
I still have 208 mi range once battery charged to 100%. Before update it was in the high 230's. Still noticing decreased range/higher consumption and increased need to charge. Tried the battery rundown procedure described above with no improvement in range.
I am hoping that the range will be improved with a future software update. Disappointed.
Sponsored