bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Odd thing happened today. Was on a longish round trip. As I was about 45 mins from my final destination I saw the PCM was showing an estimated SoC of 10% at arrival and I had 30% SoC at that moment.
I decided to make a stop at a DCFC just to be safe, and I knew I had an errand to run when I got there too.
I selected a 350kW charger at a Porsche dealership not far from my destination in PCM.
Obviously this would have initiated a battery preheat. However, what immediately happened then was my SoC instantly dropped from 30% to 15%, the GoM went from 80 miles to 30 miles and I also got an orange warning ‘Check range’ message.

Has anyone else seen this?
Is like the BMS decided to write off a load of charge that it was going to use for preheat. Really odd though, as I’ve never seen so much SoC disappear like that.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
a small drop in indicated range is normal in this circumstance, however what happened to you is unusual.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Odd thing happened today. Was on a longish round trip. As I was about 45 mins from my final destination I saw the PCM was showing an estimated SoC of 10% at arrival and I had 30% SoC at that moment.
I decided to make a stop at a DCFC just to be safe, and I knew I had an errand to run when I got there too.
I selected a 350kW charger at a Porsche dealership not far from my destination in PCM.
Obviously this would have initiated a battery preheat. However, what immediately happened then was my SoC instantly dropped from 30% to 15%, the GoM went from 80 miles to 30 miles and I also got an orange warning ‘Check range’ message.

Has anyone else seen this?
Is like the BMS decided to write off a load of charge that it was going to use for preheat. Really odd though, as I’ve never seen so much SoC disappear like that.
I'd say a little odd / normal and would avoid using a preheat destination when range is already lowish. Cold temps are a killer.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Not that much. Seems a bit odd. I know the car really warms up the battery quite a bit to get a very high rate of charge in though, so that could explain some

OP
OP
bn8959

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Not that much. Seems a bit odd. I know the car really warms up the battery quite a bit to get a very high rate of charge in though, so that could explain some
Yeah, I’d expect to see an increase rate of drop as it’s consuming more energy, but this was odd as it suddenly halved basically.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
On the range display (under the speedometer) there are two symbols. One is an EV charger alone. The other has an EV charger with a triangle superimposed over the charger. There are two modes for that display. One is for range remaining, nav not active. The other is range remaining with Nav active. I noticed this for the first time last week after almost two years with the car. When the Nav active with an active destination, the range remaining will sometimes change based on the characteristics of the route (I suspect elevation changes are a part of this computation). I’ve seen the range remaining change considerably due to this.

I can’t say I understand it. But I suspect this is what happened. Here are some photos. Ignore the MPH vs. KM discrepency. I was in Canada for one photo, and the US for the other.
Porsche Taycan Sudden drop in SoC when setting DCFC destination in PCM IMG_0653
Porsche Taycan Sudden drop in SoC when setting DCFC destination in PCM IMG_0654
Porsche Taycan Sudden drop in SoC when setting DCFC destination in PCM IMG_0655

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
On the range display (under the speedometer) there are two symbols. One is an EV charger alone. The other has an EV charger with a triangle superimposed over the charger. There are two modes for that display. One is for range remaining, nav not active. The other is range remaining with Nav active. I noticed this for the first time last week after almost two years with the car. When the Nav active with an active destination, the range remaining will sometimes change based on the characteristics of the route (I suspect elevation changes are a part of this computation). I’ve seen the range remaining change considerably due to this.

I can’t say I understand it. But I suspect this is what happened. Here are some photos. Ignore the MPH vs. KM discrepency. I was in Canada for one photo, and the US for the other.
IMG_0653.jpeg
IMG_0654.png
IMG_0655.png
It does that. My normal range without navigating is around 360 km. On a long winter trip to the alps through Germany it drops to less then 300 km when starting navigation. It is really accurate. It doesn’t explain however why his SoC dropped from 30 to 15. And if I understand correctly it was the actual SoC not the SoC on arrival.

For pre conditioning for DC charging it takes some battery. I have set my SoC at arrival at 10 %. When I am driving home I don’t mind if it would go lower because I can charger anyway. PIRM will schedule an extra charge stop and pre heating when the estimated SoC is to low. Skipping the charger and pre heating however also results in getting home with 8% SoC.

OP
OP
bn8959

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Yes, it was the actual SoC that dropped suddenly. Hope it doesn’t do it again. Might have to do some tests.
Sponsored