mreeves

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Have a Taycan RWD since March 2021. Have an issue whereby a red warning will appear on the dash and the car experiences a momentary loss of power (forward momentum) as if I had braked. This happens on average once every 3-4 weeks. Feels like a pretty serious safety concern given if someone is tailgating me they won't be expecting me to slow down. Happens in numerous driving circumstances from slow city driving to driving at speed on fast country roads. Have been complaining to local Porsche garage about this issue for 7 months. Finally after them driving my car for a period of time and driving over 180 miles they have experienced the issue themselves. No error is logged to the cars logs and they have ironically explained it is caused by a "safety feature" and triggered by road markings. They can apparently trigger it consistently in a certain place on a certain road. They are adamant it is a feature and not a fault. Would appreciate thoughts on this issue, especially if you have experienced it yourself.
Sponsored

HawkBlitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, BMW M2
Country flag
What is this "safety feature" called and what is it preventing from happening by losing power?

OP
OP

mreeves

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What is this "safety feature" called and what is it preventing from happening by losing power?
They say it relates to lane change assist which is a feature that is always on. Their next step is to see if they can find a way to turn it off.

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I could possibly see it being due to LKA but not LCA. LCA is simply the LEDs in the mirrors that warn you of cars in your blind spots.

OP
OP

mreeves

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I could possibly see it being due to LKA but not LCA. LCA is simply the LEDs in the mirrors that warn you of cars in your blind spots.
What does LKA stand for? Lane Keep Assist? then yes that is what I meant

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Yes- I have experienced this, and kinda knew immediately it was Lane Keep Assist at work. The wheel somewhat forcefully tries to keep you I'm the lane you're in, and may in fact feel like power loss. The affected side of the LKA icon on the dash illuminates red. I've noticed if you change lanes without signaling it happens as it doesn't know you are wanting to change lanes.
I've only had the car 2 days (150 miles) and already noticed it.
I seem to recall seeing that these features can be turned off in the PCM or at least the degree of their intervention lessened.
I was somewhat familiar with it as our Mercedes Sprinter van has among other things "Crosswind Assist" which is really scary when it goes off lol.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP

mreeves

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Yes- I have experienced this, and kinda knew immediately it was Lane Keep Assist at work. The wheel somewhat forcefully tries to keep you I'm the lane you're in, and may in fact feel like power loss. The affected side of the LKA icon on the dash illuminates red. I've noticed if you change lanes without signaling it happens as it doesn't know you are wanting to change lanes.
I've only had the car 2 days (150 miles) and already noticed it.
I seem to recall seeing that these features can be turned off in the PCM or at least the degree of their intervention lessened.
I was somewhat familiar with it as our Mercedes Sprinter van has among other things "Crosswind Assist" which is really scary when it goes off lol.
Hope this helps.
I don't get anything on the dash other that a red warning message saying "Take over steering" - do you get this message?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I don't get anything on the dash other that a red warning message saying "Take over steering" - do you get this message?
Our VW Touareg does this when it hasn't detected you moving/holding the steering wheel - i.e. it thinks your letting the lane keeping assistant doing the steering. If you ignore the message, then it slams the brakes on (not sure if it is fully and would bring you to a full stop or just to jolt you if you've nodded off). When it does it, it scares the crap out of you.

When i get the message, a little wiggle of the steering wheel to let it know you're not rolling a joint or have gone to sleep or something and it clears the message.

Maybe same/similar system, VW group and all that.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I get that message often, it can be scary, but it usually clears immediately. I've reported it to porsche and NHTSA but nothing has been addressed

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I don't believe mine was due to inattention or not holding the steering wheel, simply due to Lane departure without signaling. I have not seen that message.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Yes, LKA will do this. Turn it off in the PCM.
Can also be toggled on/off with the button on the bottom of the cruise control stalk in conjunction with steering wheel control thumb wheel.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/driver-control-required-message.4955/

Had this issue and addressed it by disabling PASSIVE Lane Keep Assist (NOT active) and disabling the health emergency detection which seems to also cause this misfire (if you have the feature).

Its been almost a year and Porsche clearly hasn't fixed Passive LKA from causing random breaking so I basically don't get the feature I paid for.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Can also be toggled on/off with the button on the bottom of the cruise control stalk in conjunction with steering wheel control thumb wheel.
Just an important correction here: to fix the issue you must disable Passive LKA in the PCM, and the stalk will not do it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
What does LKA stand for? Lane Keep Assist? then yes that is what I meant
To be clear, what Assistance options do you have on the car - Adaptive Cruise Control (incl Active Lane Keeping), InnoDrive, Lane Change Assist (leds in mirrors)? If you don't have any of these then my guess is the problem relates to one of the three standard speed control features.

If Lane Keep Assist (standard on all cars) is the culprit you can easily switch this off - press the button on the underside left hand control stalk and then use the thumb wheel on the steering wheel to select and then press in to enable / disable.

By default set it to cruise control which will then be enabled / active when you press the button at the end of the same control stalk. So next time when you press that button the cruise control will be in a passive state waiting for you to engage or not.

Also you can also disable LKA in the PCM

Porsche Taycan Take over steering problem 1642611926799

Suggest reading the relevant section in the Porsche Good to Know App as there are many things here to understand and utilise. None are difficult but good to be aware what they are and how to activate / deactivate.

LKA is a pain (and dangerous IMHO) and so I always have it disabled. The other function I have disabled (also controlled by the same control stalk) is the speed limiter - this will randomly slow the car down if it thinks the speed limit is less than what you are travelling at (uses the camera and mapping data to determine) - so if travelling quite happily at 50 mph on a road where the limit is actually 50 mph the car could determine that the speed limit is actually 30 mph (as happened to me) and automatically (and dramatically) reduce the speed to that value without warning. Road signs can be damaged or confused with others and mapping data can be out of date. So nice idea (when it works) but can catch you unawares.

So of the 3 standard speed controlling features I only ever use 1 - cruise control - as the others are flawed for various reasons (poor signage, mapping errors, faint road markings etc).
Sponsored