Taycan 4S First Thoughts

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve had my 4S for two months now, so not really first impressions. We know Porsches are famous for their performance and everyday usability and the balance of those two aspects have been what’s continually impressed me with my Taycan.

I’ve realize how many unconscious decisions I had been making with my 997.2 versus this car: avoiding short trips, waiting for the oil temp to warm up before letting the car rip, prioritizing my weekend errand runs based on what would fit in it versus our SUV. I don’t have to make those trade offs any more.

Even something as simple as waiting in a slow moving line to pick up a kid. Before, I would waffle on turning the engine off to avoid prolonged idling and spewing hydrocarbons. Now, it just doesn’t matter.

The Taycan is my first EV and I really didn’t know what to expect. I was terrified of a sterile, disconnected experience that relied on tech goodies to make up for a boring ride. Nothing could be further from my experience. I’m learning to love the quiet thrum of the electric motors, which doesn’t replace the sound of the flat six, but I’m finding the Electric Sport Sound more satisfying as I drive.

Every product is the consequence of compromise, and Porsche had to make their share for the 1st-gen J1, but we’re all pretty luck to have one - it’s a helluva car.
Sponsored

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
First 150 mile trip- Today my wife, Moyen poodle and I decided to make a partial trip from Fayetteville, AR towards Dallas to check out the non-Electrify America charging stations we will us in our normal trips to Dallas to see our grandkids (EVGateway). We planned the route through A Better Route Planner to see the accuracy of the predictive charge capability. Bottom line- It works well. And this was downhill though the Boston Mountains. Goshen is 1191’ and Roland, OK our charge point is 482’. We captured the efficiency both downhill and uphill on the way back.

We charged the car to 100% the night before using the “Direct Charge” button in the car to allow it to ignore the 85% maximum charge profile and go to 100%. When we started, the car was indicating we would use 32Kw/100 miles and by the time we got down the hill to Ft Smith the car was indicating we were using 26.6 Kw/100 miles. We used range mode and most of the trip was on the freeway doing 75 (Max speed in that mode said 90). Temperature at the beginning of the trip was 75 degrees and 80 by the time we got back home. Winds were light.

I had used PayPal to put $60 in “My Wallet” with EVgateway. They have a 24/7 phone and support center so I communicated with them yesterday about the charge procedure. You can reserve the specific charger, but when we got there no one was around either of the two chargers. I plugged the car in, pulled up the app, pointed it at the charger, hit the scan code button and immediately the charger began to interface with the car. The car was at 77% when we started the charge and the 200KW charger began charging at 89 Kw. We had decided to give it 15 minutes of charge, then head back home. By the time it got to 94% it had slowed to 40Kw and I pressed the stop button. The charger went through its disconnect routine, I pulled the plug and we drove off. It was just enough time for my wife to go into McDonalds, freshen up and get some coffee. They sent me a receipt by email. It was truly hassle-free. This was the second time I’ve charged at a fast charge location and I must say it was a pleasure that no one was around and it didn’t have a gassy smell.

We drove in RANGE mode all the way there and back. Fuel us on the way down the hill got us to 26.6 Kw/100 and 29.6 Kw/100 miles on the way back. That averages out to about 120 MPGe- better than my Volt on its full electric cycle. The range capability worked out to be 281 miles at mostly highway, 75 MPH speeds. All-in-all, it was a very successful and fun trial run. Oklahoma is known for it bad, concrete highways and the Taycan took out nearly all the misaligned concrete bounce. The car was quiet enough to understand the satellite radio and have a good conversation.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S First Thoughts chg spd 81%

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S First Thoughts chg spd 94%

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S First Thoughts fuel receipt 9-12-20

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S First Thoughts Return trip efficiency 9-12-20

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S First Thoughts EVGateway a

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The Taycan 4S is a bigger, luxurious GT car. The Taycan well outclasses the Model 3 in sportiness, luxury, & ride quality, but you might miss the "zippiness" & city use of a smaller car.
Not my experience with RWS. Do you have that option in your Taycan?

Considering 20inch wheels and big heavy battery, my Taycan feels with RWS perfectly "zippy"! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Reg

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
One thing I noticed with my 4 S is the standard steering wheel rim is slightly smaller diameter than my other two cars that have the sport wheel. First world problem.
Isn't that good? I like smaller steering wheel. Only drawback is less to see on the display...

Reactions: Reg

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
That makes a lot of sense. I am having a second test drive next week, so that will help.
Before getting into the car for test driving, please check if it has the option RWS, rear wheel steering! Without it, you cannot experience the full potential.

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
Before getting into the car for test driving, please check if it has the option RWS, rear wheel steering! Without it, you cannot experience the full potential.
Really, it makes that much difference?

OP
OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not my experience with RWS. Do you have that option in your Taycan?

Considering 20inch wheels and big heavy battery, my Taycan feels with RWS perfectly "zippy"! :)
I'm trying to think of the best way to put it. I find those smaller cars, specifically RS3/M4./Model 3, to be zippy/jumpy in a kind of unsettled way. A lot of people like that, though.

I do have RWS steering and find the Taycan amazingly agile. I tend to use "zippy" as more of a negative in my experience. The Taycan is definitely more agile/sporty in a more composed way than a Model 3.. but some might find that less fun. Ie.. in a Model 3 you crank the wheel and the car kind of jumps over in a "weeee" moment where you feel like you're at the limit, in the Taycan the car just darts where you want it like you aren't even challenging the car.

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
I'm trying to think of the best way to put it. I find those smaller cars, specifically RS3/M4./Model 3, to be zippy/jumpy in a kind of unsettled way. A lot of people like that, though.

I do have RWS steering and find the Taycan amazingly agile. I tend to use "zippy" as more of a negative in my experience. The Taycan is definitely more agile/sporty in a more composed way than a Model 3.. but some might find that less fun. Ie.. in a Model 3 you crank the wheel and the car kind of jumps over in a "weeee" moment where you feel like you're at the limit, in the Taycan the car just darts where you want it like you aren't even challenging the car.
I totally understand what you mean, I drove the Taycan and not for a minute did I feel even close to unsettling it, whilst in the model 3 it is unsettled most of the time, it's power is there all the time without any limits or buttons to press. It needs air/adaptive suspension to lower it and harden the car up when you push it. I guess it will come down to emotion on the day of the second drive.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

I apologizes for my substandard level of English. I understand what you mean, thank you for your explanation!

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That makes a lot of sense. I am having a second test drive next week, so that will help. I do have a lot of small winding lanes here so a large car is less practical but no less so than all the vans that zip around the same roads. I just think the Taycan is a stunner of a car and I never walk away from the 3 and go wow that's a sexy car, it just looks pretty dull, not awful, just a bit dull for a 3 second car!!!
OK, so I had my second test drive and took my 11-year-old along to get his perspective, this is what I concluded. My score is lightly based on comparing it to the Tesla M3P. I welcome your opinion, as I am sure many will not agree:

Bad:

1. For a car with limited rear glass to look through, the reversing camera is diabolical; not only is it an extra but it isn't worthy of a £100k car even if it was included as standard. Porsche isn't on its own with this as I found the same in an Aston Martin.
2. The UX is bad, just plain bad, I spent 1 hour trying to convince myself it was good. In a world where we all use touch screen phones all day, Tesla has this nailed down, no-one else comes close.
3. The 4S isn't as fast as the lowly M3P, it's not even close off the line. If you didn't have launch control on and in sport mode, it would be worlds away. M3P is fast all the time without any fiddling of dials or pressing of brake pedals -that complaint goes for the Model S and X as well. I wonder if you put all these EV cars in a line, in their standard everyday settings without launch control, without sport/insane/ludicrous, which one would hit 50/60 first (I bet it would be very close!).
4. The spoiler may as well not move if it's only going to extend by approx 5mm! Maybe useful at 100mph+ but that doesn't happen often for most of us.
5. The powered charging port covers are temperamental and broke down multiple times when test driving the car. Its been out a while now so no excuses there.
6. There are a lot more gremlins on the car than expected at this stage and price point.
7. Charging infrastructure is not good enough yet, sure you don't need it often but it's not there at all yet.
8. I nearly forgot - the innovadrive is horrendous, it's just terrible. I have tried all the autopilot attempts from all manufacturers and they are all crap. Tesla is only just about trustable but it is 10 x better than innodrive, more like "crappydrive". Anyway a Porsche should be driven, not drive you I suppose.
9. No decent childish Netflix or youtube to watch when you are waiting or charging.

Good:

1. It's very beautiful from every angle.
2. It drives amazingly well, hard when you want it, soft and quiet when you are cruising. Never unsettled.
3. The interior quality is really nice, a lovely place to be.
4. Fit and finish appear to be excellent.
5. It's a Porsche, looks like Porsche and drives like a Porsche and will hold its value like a Porsche.
6. I bet its very good on a track.

So it's not really about the money, the Tesla has it for me. The Model S is just too dated, the Model X, too big and the Taycan just isn't complete enough (other than to look at).

I will wait for the Taycan Mk.2.

Peace :)

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I don't really understand the cross-shopping and comparisons between the Model 3 and Taycan. It's like comparing a Subaru WRX and a BMW 8-series grand coupe. I get they are both electric cars, but that and 4 wheels are about the only thing they have in common.

The Model S is at least similar in size and closer in price. Although it's a level or two below in luxury, driving, and fit/finish.

If you really, really want an electric car, and that's all it's about, get a Tesla hands down. They are the best "EV" currently for sale. Mostly because of the charging infrastructure. But if you want a Porsche that happens to be electric, and feels like a Porsche from the future, then the Taycan might be a good choice.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I owned a Model 3P - traded it for the Taycan

Taycan is a better car
Model 3 is a better EV

Model 3 is a great car for the price and has a stellar fast charging network
the Taycan is a great car

Model 3 has better "tech"
Taycan has better brakes
Model 3 has better efficiency
Taycan has a better interior

would you prefer a nicely equipped Camry or a lux. BMW sports 5 series?
Sponsored