Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Can you help me understand “85% min”? If I want to charge to 85% maximum, why do they call it “minimum”?

I can understand the “immediately charge to a minimum level” to help preserve battery health (you don’t want to keep a battery with low state of charge low for an extended period of time). So “charge immediately to 25%” makes sense.

But “85% min”?
As I stated in the first post, I think a lot of confusion comes from wanting to set a max…and having no way to do it. ?‍♂

The minimum setting is just what is says, a minimum.

If you are using preferred times, the car will charge to the min setting first regardless because it’s the min, and then charge to 100% during the preferred times. Note that this can exceed the min if the min is less than 100%; therefore it is not a max. ✅

If you have have both a profile and a timer setup, the car will charge to the min first, and then to the timer target charge. Note that this can exceed the min if the min is less than the timer target charge; therefore it is not a max. ✅

So, the setting is not a maximum. It is the minimum value to charge to immediately.

So, why did I suggest that setting if you clearly asked for a max?

Because if you have the active profile set and nothing else telling the car to charge more, then it only charges to the min and does nothing else (because it’s not being told to do anything else).

In this case, it behaves like a maximum setting (which also adds to people’s confusion). But it’s not a maximum setting. It’s a fake. A phoney. A fraud.

It is, as I said, a minimum. It’s just that, in that case, nothing else is telling it to go higher.

So, you want a maximum, but that doesn’t exist. So, I offer you a knockoff instead.

But, as Dave said, there may be additional problems with the smart EVSE.
Sponsored

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I don’t normally use the preferred charge times, but I did test everything to confirm my understanding of the manual.

During my testing, the car charged to the minimum and then waited until the preferred time to continue charging.

Maybe post more pics? That usually helps more because I can see what’s actually happening. ?
Thank you, the situation is simple:
The charging is paused with the hint as attached. But there is no departure timer set. See 2nd picture.
Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] 36A7DCDD-67E3-40DA-9963-30C07D6A23E2
Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] 6AB8F0EC-C78B-4AA6-9F36-494B1AC8A046

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
......the Taycan can be thrown off by EVSE’s that have variable charge rates because the Taycan attempt to accomplish “just in time” - departure time - charging - in order to do that it has to estimate the total time rquired to charge and it can only do that if the charge rate is static - if the charge rate is varible - the car will miscalculate the charging time because it only starts to charge when it thinks it needs to, in order to meet the depature time - well if the charge rate is variable - that will confuse Porsche’s software and again you will have to spend time figuring out why the car didn’t charge overnight…
How does the Taycan do with EVSE's that do "load sharging" for mulitple cars? If you have, for example, a ClipperCreek HCS-D50 that is plugged into a 14-50, and provides 20A each to two cars, then ups it to 40A for the second car once the first car gets charged? That seems like a variable rate EVSE.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you, the situation is simple:
The charging is paused with the hint as attached. But there is no departure timer set. See 2nd picture.
36A7DCDD-67E3-40DA-9963-30C07D6A23E2.jpeg
6AB8F0EC-C78B-4AA6-9F36-494B1AC8A046.jpeg
Based on this (limited) information, I would guess it’s just a bug and report it to Porsche, but there may be more I am missing. Sorry. ?‍♂

Did it do anything any differently today?

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Based on this (limited) information, I would guess it’s just a bug and report it to Porsche, but there may be more I am missing. Sorry. ?‍♂

Did it do anything any differently today?
Sorry I wish I could share more. I didn’t use the car it is still fully charged. I’ll share more soon. Are you aware of a self-learning algorithm determining an assumed departure time? Thank you for hanging in there.

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
I have just written this to Porsche, and then I found this thread:

Dear Porsche

I am trying to follow the advice from Porsche to protect the battery in my Taycan during charging at home. I have 2 questions:

• I want to set up 2 profiles – one for a full charge for long journeys and one for general use at a maximum 85% charge, calling them HOME100% and HOME85%.
When I try to set up a profile, I can fix the minimum charge, but not the maximum. The popup box says setting the minimum charge ‘ensures that your vehicle has a guaranteed minimum range … once the set minimum charge is reached, charging can be optimised and the battery life can be extended when activating other charging settings’. But this is not the same as charging to a maximum of 85%. How do I do this please?
  • Secondly, it is not clear to me what the Direct Charging slide button does on the app. It says charging times and profiles will be ignored and the vehicle will be charged fully as quickly as possible. But if I do not apply the slide button, it does not charge. What can I be doing wrong?
I have looked in the manual but it is not helpful. I hope I have explained things to enable you to advise.

I will let you know their response...

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
  1. direct charging on means immediate charging, profiles and timers are ignored.
  2. profiles don't work without departure time. you need to set a departure timer with the desired % charged. For example I have a profile with charging time during 9:30AM and 5:30PM. That is when my power walls are fully charged, so the excess solar energy will be used for charging the Taycan with a minimum set to 65%. that is the level the battery will be charged to. Then I set the departure time to 11:30 AM with 85% charging level. thus every time it tries to charge the Taycan to 85% by 11:30 AM.

I hope I am making sense.

HRHTHEO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered- 2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Key takeaways, most people will want to set a profile in conjunction with a timer.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
profiles don't work without departure time.
Profiles don’t have departure times. Those are timers.

Either can be used independently.

I typically use just a profile by itself.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But this is not the same as charging to a maximum of 85%. How do I do this please?
If you set a minimum of 85% in a profile and set it for optimized charging, it will charge to 85% and no higher (as long as nothing else is active).

For the 100%, I think you’re better off setting a timer with a departure time and target charge of 100%. Then, only activate the timer when you want.

This is exactly what I do.
But if I do not apply the slide button, it does not charge. What can I be doing wrong?
Can you post screen shots of your current setup? It’s hard to know what’s going on otherwise.

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you post screen shots of your current setup? It’s hard to know what’s going on otherwise.
[/QUOTE]

Let's wait until Porsche give me an answer. Not very intuitive though is it?

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've heard back from Porsche today:
  • I can confirm that the maximum is automatically set to 85%, as this helps with protection of battery degradation. The minimum setting will always automatically charge to 25%. To change the profiles, you need to select the “TIMER” option, click on “add new timer”, and then enter the date and departure time. You can then select daily or a set day (or days), click on “charging”, and then select “target” and change to 85%.
  • The direct charging button overrides any of your profiles. If you select the direct charging button it will ignore all your profiles already entered and allow you to charge immediately. If you do not select the direct charging button the profiles already entered will be in operation.
I get what the direct charging button does now, but wasn't aware that charging is set to 85% by default. I presume that means if I charge to 85% and then want to extend it to 100%, I just click the direct charging button? None of this is clear or user friendly! And I don't like having to set an end time as this is just another layer of complexity - I just want to plug in and leave it to the profile I set!

I'm due to arrange my follow up 'Masteclass' session soon, so I'll be able to go through all of this at the OPC.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not very intuitive though is it?
I think it’s intuitive, but I keep hearing it’s not so o guess I’ll concede that it’s not for some people.

I can confirm that the maximum is automatically set to 85%, as this helps with protection of battery degradation. The minimum setting will always automatically charge to 25%. To change the profiles, you need to select the “TIMER” option, click on “add new timer”, and then enter the date and departure time. You can then select daily or a set day (or days), click on “charging”, and then select “target” and change to 85%.
I really don’t think this is right.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I've heard back from Porsche today:
  • I can confirm that the maximum is automatically set to 85%, as this helps with protection of battery degradation. The minimum setting will always automatically charge to 25%. To change the profiles, you need to select the “TIMER” option, click on “add new timer”, and then enter the date and departure time. You can then select daily or a set day (or days), click on “charging”, and then select “target” and change to 85%.
  • The direct charging button overrides any of your profiles. If you select the direct charging button it will ignore all your profiles already entered and allow you to charge immediately. If you do not select the direct charging button the profiles already entered will be in operation.
I get what the direct charging button does now, but wasn't aware that charging is set to 85% by default. I presume that means if I charge to 85% and then want to extend it to 100%, I just click the direct charging button? None of this is clear or user friendly! And I don't like having to set an end time as this is just another layer of complexity - I just want to plug in and leave it to the profile I set!

I'm due to arrange my follow up 'Masteclass' session soon, so I'll be able to go through all of this at the OPC.
Have You watched this video?

I think this is the best instruction on the charging settings you will find.
Hope this helps you understand.
Sponsored