Taycan only charging 5.8 kW

supabooma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Recently purchased a 2024 Taycan CT, loving it.

I had a 14-50 Nema outlet on a dedicated 50amp circuit installed in the garage.

Normally, I charge overnight on a timer so I don't pay attention to the speeds, but today I needed to direct charge and noticed only 5.8 kW speeds. PMC+ unit is set to 100%. I've seen it charge at 8.7kW before so not sure what could have changed. Could it be a software issue?

Thank you for your help.

Porsche Taycan Taycan only charging 5.8 kW IMG_2776.PNG

Porsche Taycan Taycan only charging 5.8 kW IMG_2775

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Recently purchased a 2024 Taycan CT, loving it.

I had a 14-50 Nema outlet on a dedicated 50amp circuit installed in the garage.

Normally, I charge overnight on a timer so I don't pay attention to the speeds, but today I needed to direct charge and noticed only 5.8 kW speeds. PMC+ unit is set to 100%. I've seen it charge at 8.7kW before so not sure what could have changed. Could it be a software issue?

Thank you for your help.

IMG_2776.PNG

IMG_2775.jpeg
make sure you haven't inadvertently pushed the 100% button at the top of ht unit which will set power to 50%

You could stop unplug and restart the season to see if goes back to 8.6 kW

also your NEMA outlet does not look like it's a Hubble outlet - the PMC+ will overhead "lesser" resdiential sockets and over time cause them to melt and short out…you require the high quality Hubble socket so that it will not melt after repeated thermal stressing by the PMC+/PMCC - you can safely run your unit at 50% until you can get someone to replace your socket with a Hubble socket. Hubble sockets are best practice for EVSE industry wide (Tesla, Rivian, Porsche, Lucid, Ford, GM others all recommend/requlire Hubble sockets).

Porsche Taycan Taycan only charging 5.8 kW 61yFemoxdML._AC_SL1000_

Porsche recommendation/requriement for the PMC+/PMCC is a Hubble Commerical/Industrial grade NEMA socket to handle the nominal operating temperatures of the PMC+/PMCC…

it's not safe to run the PMC+/PMCC with a non-Hubble socket…

Porsche's actual TSB is here - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222530-0001.pdf
page 2 of 11

Porsche recommends home owners only install industrial quality electrical NEMA receptacles and have the installation performed by qualified electricians in accordance with the National Electrical Code or applicable local equivalents.
For example, the following receptacles are recommended for their industrial quality and ability to handle high current with minimal electrical resistance for long periods of time:
  • Hubbell HBL9450A = NEMA 14-50 Receptacle (4-wire)
  • Hubbell HBL9367 = NEMA 6-50 Receptacle (3-wire)
    A 50-amp branch circuit should use minimum 6 AWG, 90°C-rated copper wire for conductors supplying level 2 Porsche charging hardware plugged with a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 supply cable. Receptacle terminal screws must be tightened to manufacturer specifications. The use of ferrules on the supply conductor wiring is recommended to further safeguard the circuit connection at the receptacle.
    Caution
    If the electrical receptacles/outlets are not of sufficient quality, higher temperatures can occur in the receptacle when charging the vehicle using the supplied charging hardware (e.g. Porsche Mobile Charger). This can result in thermal damage to the receptacle and associated wiring. Low quality NEMA receptacle use or improper installation are not an indication of a defect in the vehicle or Porsche charging hardware.
more information can be found here…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-related-porsche-ntsb-article-analysis.13902/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...uide-to-the-porsche-evse-pmc-pmcc-pwcc.13886/

Last edited:
OP
OP

supabooma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Thank you David, it's a hubble outlet. Just unplugged everything and made sure the pmc+ was set to 100%. Still only getting 5.8kw with direct charge. Perhaps it's a hardware issue (cable or onboard charger).

Porsche Taycan Taycan only charging 5.8 kW IMG_2779

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thank you David, it's a hubble outlet. Just unplugged everything and made sure the pmc+ was set to 100%. Still only getting 5.8kw with direct charge. Perhaps it's a hardware issue (cable or onboard charger).

IMG_2779.jpg
wow I'll stand corrected - I've NEVER seen a white Hubble!!!! that's awesome!!!

learn something new every day…

the 5.8 kW makes it seem like you're only charging at 32 amps which is odd…

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
OP are you certain you have a 50A circuit ? That charging rate is indicative of 32A just as Daveo4EV has suggested.

OP
OP

supabooma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
OP are you certain you have a 50A circuit ? That charging rate is indicative of 32A just as Daveo4EV has suggested.
Thank you. Yes, 100% sure. I’ve charged at the expected 8.7 kW rate previously via direct charge.

Last night was the first time the car did not charge up to 80% with a timer, but I thought maybe I just didn’t plug the cable in correctly.

Coincidentally, just now my direct charging stopped via an error. It’s not clear where it’s coming from though so may need to get another charger to test.

Porsche Taycan Taycan only charging 5.8 kW IMG_2777

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thank you. Yes, 100% sure. I’ve charged at the expected 8.7 kW rate previously via direct charge.

Last night was the first time the car did not charge up to 80% with a timer, but I thought maybe I just didn’t plug the cable in correctly.

Coincidentally, just now my direct charging stopped via an error. It’s not clear where it’s coming from though so may need to get another charger to test.

IMG_2777.png
On a 32A setup you should expect 7.4kW.

Check that the earthing for your setup is what it needs to be.

May not actually be anything wrong and simply that the car has decided to slow the charge down when at 50% for whatever reason.

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
On a 32A setup you should expect 7.4kW.

Check that the earthing for your setup is what it needs to be.

May not actually be anything wrong and simply that the car has decided to slow the charge down when at 50% for whatever reason.
8.7 kW is indicative of 40 amps (50 amp breaker) with about 10% loss typical from the EVSE to the car. 7.4 kW is indicative of closer to 35 amps, which is a very odd number (could not get that from 32 amps for sure). The 5.8 kW suggests that the issue is not the charger being set to 50%, because if it were at 50%, it would only deliver ~4.4 kW maximum. I wonder if there is a setting in the car itself that is restricting the charge? Either that or the EVSE is faulty. The plug isn't the issue. It would either deliver what was demanded of it safely, or it would blow out the circuit breaker if the wrong breaker capacity where installed (e.g., 40 amp breaker attached to a 50 amp plug it would just trip the breaker, not derate the charging equipment).

There is either something wrong with the on-board car charger (or the PCM settings) or something wrong with the EVSE. The wiring looks fine to me. Anyone know if there are charge restrictions buried somewhere deep in the PCM to check?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
8.7 kW is indicative of 40 amps (50 amp breaker) with about 10% loss typical from the EVSE to the car. 7.4 kW is indicative of closer to 35 amps, which is a very odd number (could not get that from 32 amps for sure). The 5.8 kW suggests that the issue is not the charger being set to 50%, because if it were at 50%, it would only deliver ~4.4 kW maximum. I wonder if there is a setting in the car itself that is restricting the charge? Either that or the EVSE is faulty. The plug isn't the issue. It would either deliver what was demanded of it safely, or it would blow out the circuit breaker if the wrong breaker capacity where installed (e.g., 40 amp breaker attached to a 50 amp plug it would just trip the breaker, not derate the charging equipment).

There is either something wrong with the on-board car charger (or the PCM settings) or something wrong with the EVSE. The wiring looks fine to me. Anyone know if there are charge restrictions buried somewhere deep in the PCM to check?
My UK setup is 32A end to end. 7.4kW is all I (anyone) can draw from a single phase supply.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

The standard UK single phase supply is nominally 230V but actually 240 to 250V when I measure it.
7.2 kW is what my dispenser reports as being supplied though my car shows a charge rate of 6.7kW at the same time, so 500W losses somewhere.

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
My UK setup is 32A end to end. 7.4kW is all I (anyone) can draw from a single phase supply.
Yes, UK and US have differing voltages. Here in US we have 240V most places. Except some locations have 208V. Not sure about UK. My stats were for my location. Just illustrates the importance of OPs location in this discussion, which I hadn't considered.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes, UK and US have differing voltages. Here in US we have 240V most places. Except some locations have 208V. Not sure about UK. My stats were for my location. Just illustrates the importance of OPs location in this discussion, which I hadn't considered.
For many years the supply voltage for single-phase supplies in the UK has been 240V +/- 6%, giving a possible spread of voltage from 226V to 254 V.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The standard UK single phase supply is nominally 230V but actually 240 to 250V when I measure it.
7.2 kW is what my dispenser reports as being supplied though my car shows a charge rate of 6.7kW at the same time, so 500W losses somewhere.
Which EVSE, what type of cable etc - all will contribute to a degree of loss?

I would be happy at 6.7 - sometimes I get this and sometimes I get over 7 - either way it doesn't have a material difference when charging overnight IMHO.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Which EVSE, what type of cable etc - all will contribute to a degree of loss?

I would be happy at 6.7 - sometimes I get this and sometimes I get over 7 - either way it doesn't have a material difference when charging overnight IMHO.
I have the Andersen wall box recommended by Porsche at the time of my order.

I do quite resent paying for half a kilowatt of effectively wasted electricity every time I charge - that makes the loss itself one of the higher consuming electrical appliances in our house, but it is even worse if I have to use a 13A socket with the Porsche supplied device where it measures 2.6kW in and 2.1 kW into the car, ie over 20% waste :(
It isn't a problem time wise, just an annoyance for somebody with what my wife's familiy refer to as "strong Aberdonian instincts" like myself.

OP
OP

supabooma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Thanks all - sorry was away. To clarify, I am in the US and interestingly, the speed returned to the expected 8.7kw over the course of a few days.

The weather in my area was a bit stormy, nothing too crazy, but perhaps energy was being throttled by PG&E (NorCal). Maybe the errors were due to brownouts that I didn't notice in the rest of the house.
Sponsored