SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Love this topic with a takeaway that 150kw vs 350kW points are close enough in charging rates so I do not have to seek a 350kW point 30 min away vs a 150kw point 15 min away in my situation.

My plan (for now as if why not) is to NOT install a home charger as I have a brand new (July 2022 install) EA point 15 min away (but out of the way) with 12 x 150kW points (in addition to a 1 x 350kW dealer charge point 10 min away), so plan to use both for charging as if I am driving an ICE car that needs a fill up understanding this is about half the range.

The new EA point is positioned so conveniently right off the road in the Meijer parking lot (and not deep into the Wal-Mart parking type setup that takes a long time to get to wasting all kinds of time). Then reviewers are saying that access to Meijer amenities is much closer if you would park in the normal spots at the store's parking lot.

Then by the time the free 3-year charging expires, hopefully, there are more chargers installed on the way where we drive to school and stores.

I still have 65 days per TYD to go but already planning on how I am going to charge so I can get back when 3 hours away from home with closest on the way back EA charge point (88 miles away but assuming I am at a low enough SoC that I would not be able to make it), so wanted to ask if I would have any trouble charging at this place and what would I need to have ready. There will be no hurry to charge even if I have to wait in line or charge slowly as there is a cafe in the parking lot so the plan is to plug and eat and then move out if full.

Charge Point: 2 x CCS 125kW chargers at 3315 Blue Star Hwy, Saugatuck, MI 49453
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Love this topic with a takeaway that 150kw vs 350kW points are close enough in charging rates so I do not have to seek a 350kW point 30 min away vs a 150kw point 15 min away in my situation.

My plan (for now as if why not) is to NOT install a home charger as I have a brand new (July 2022 install) EA point 15 min away (but out of the way) with 12 x 150kW points (in addition to a 1 x 350kW dealer charge point 10 min away), so plan to use both for charging as if I am driving an ICE car that needs a fill up understanding this is about half the range.

The new EA point is positioned so conveniently right off the road in the Meijer parking lot (and not deep into the Wal-Mart parking type setup that takes a long time to get to wasting all kinds of time). Then reviewers are saying that access to Meijer amenities is much closer if you would park in the normal spots at the store's parking lot.

Then by the time the free 3-year charging expires, hopefully, there are more chargers installed on the way where we drive to school and stores.

I still have 65 days per TYD to go but already planning on how I am going to charge so I can get back when 3 hours away from home with closest on the way back EA charge point (88 miles away but assuming I am at a low enough SoC that I would not be able to make it), so wanted to ask if I would have any trouble charging at this place and what would I need to have ready. There will be no hurry to charge even if I have to wait in line or charge slowly as there is a cafe in the parking lot so the plan is to plug and eat and then move out if full.

I will be interested to hear how your plan pans out.

One of the biggest reasons for me to have an EV is home charging!

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag

Having owned EVs for nearly a decade, I would urge that anyone to get a home charging station unless they cannot for some reason. . .
I never have to go to public charging unless I’m on a longer road trip.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@TDinDC, I plan to play out a why not game and see if that is feasible for my use case. I am totally setup with a 60 Amp circuit with my electrician, short wire from the panel to back wall garage cabinet and picked out the EVSE I want to directly wire (Emporia) with cost minimal. As soon as I get it, start testing it out, I will report back how many days I am lasting before giving up on it and getting a home charger.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag

It makes a dint is someone else is footing the bill for the electric - as US Taycans get.

I think they’d be thoroughly outraged at our current leccy prices.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Having owned EVs for nearly a decade, I would urge that anyone to get a home charging station unless they cannot for some reason. . .
I never have to go to public charging unless I’m on a longer road trip.
I just called the dealer to see what the rules are about using their Porsche required and recently installed charger and this is what I got as in plot of my intent of not having a home charger thickens. I was told that it is not Open to the public and that I am not to advertise this to anyone, and their preference that I do not use it at all since they have to pay for it where I have 3 years of free EA, but they will let me with a limitation that it can only be done when the dealership is open since an employee has to turn it on. I wonder if anyone else has the same experience. I certainly will not feel comfortable using it now. So I have an EA point 15 min away with 6 x 150kW and 10 min away EVGo with a few 100kW charge points (still do not know if they are 800v or 400v) so my best option as in closest, on the way, and free to use 24/7 just disappeared.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I just called the dealer to see what the rules are about using their Porsche required and recently installed charger and this is what I got as in plot of my intent of not having a home charger thickens. I was told that it is not Open to the public and that I am not to advertise this to anyone, and their preference that I do not use it at all since they have to pay for it where I have 3 years of free EA, but they will let me with a limitation that it can only be done when the dealership is open since an employee has to turn it on. I wonder if anyone else has the same experience. I certainly will not feel comfortable using it now. So I have an EA point 15 min away with 12 x 150kW and 10 min away EVGo with a few 100kW charge points (still do not know if they are 800v or 400v) so my best option as in closest, on the way, and free to use 24/7 just disappeared.
your dealer is acting like almost all porsche dealerships regarding their L3 chargers.
it appears that they were forced into installing these units by porsche but it stops at installation.

the reality is that the units are never open for usage, to use them requires someone from the dealership to "unlock" the charger.

it appears that the dealers were forced to install the chargers in an effort to "fly the flag" but they are not being told to allow unfettered usage of the chargers.

you will see many chargers at all brands of dealerships on plugshare but it is rare that the dealership will allow anyone but their customers to access the chargers.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
your dealer is acting like almost all porsche dealerships regarding their L3 chargers.
it appears that they were forced into installing these units by porsche but it stops at installation.

the reality is that the units are never open for usage, to use them requires someone from the dealership to "unlock" the charger.

it appears that the dealers were forced to install the chargers in an effort to "fly the flag" but they are not being told to allow unfettered usage of the chargers.

you will see many chargers at all brands of dealerships on plugshare but it is rare that the dealership will allow anyone but their customers to access the chargers.
Different in UK - not free but the units (when accessible) can be used.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

That is the way I was told (that does not seem right) but want to see if that is consistent with other Porche dealerships. They have other slower/older chargers around the building and this one took their prime real estate right up front, (required parking lot excavation), that cleared a row of previously parked loaner and serviced vehicles, so it is not like they need it for service. Then what is this $300K forced upon installed investment is for...appearances? I was discouraged to use it and even if I want to use it, then the store must be open, and I have to walk in, look for an employee with an activation card, go to the charger with them to activate, what non-sense use case is that?

I have to command MBUSA that had a press release to partner with EA at their dealerships with chargers open to other brands with MB vehicles having priority (should not be an issue since their EVs are not selling very well and stacking up which may have something to do with the latest review describing them as elephants on cheetah legs). There is an MB dealership right across from the Porsche so I will have to check them out if they plan to have an EA charger installed. This seems more than fair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I promise you that you will be eternally grateful to have a home charger if you have the opportunity to have one, which sounds like you do. It moves charging from an annoyance at the front of your mind to something you don’t even need to remember.

mongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ID.4
Country flag
@TDinDC, I plan to play out a why not game and see if that is feasible for my use case. I am totally setup with a 60 Amp circuit with my electrician, short wire from the panel to back wall garage cabinet and picked out the EVSE I want to directly wire (Emporia) with cost minimal. As soon as I get it, start testing it out, I will report back how many days I am lasting before giving up on it and getting a home charger.
This may help with the Emporia.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging at 350 kW v. 150 kW IMG_20221210_155208194_HDR

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging at 350 kW v. 150 kW IMG_20221210_155202642_HDR

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging at 350 kW v. 150 kW IMG_20221210_155152013_HDR

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging at 350 kW v. 150 kW IMG_20221210_141220481_HDR

mongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ID.4
Country flag
This may help with the Emporia.

IMG_20221210_155208194_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221210_155202642_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221210_155152013_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221210_141220481_HDR.jpg
One other point of economic consideration. I ran 6 gauge wire for a 60 amp circuit, but I only had to run 6/2, because the Emporia unit does not need a neutral. Believe it or not the cost of UF-6/2 is about 1/4 of the cost of UF-6/3. I need to use UF wire because the building the charger is mounted on is an agricultural building, and code requires UF, conduit, MC, or similar wiring.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
One other point of economic consideration. I ran 6 gauge wire for a 60 amp circuit, but I only had to run 6/2, because the Emporia unit does not need a neutral. Believe it or not the cost of UF-6/2 is about 1/4 of the cost of UF-6/3. I need to use UF wire because the building the charger is mounted on is an agricultural building, and code requires UF, conduit, MC, or similar wiring.
According to my NEC table 310 #6 copper UF and NM-B are not quite up to the task of powering a 48 amp EVSE having a maximum ampacity of 55 amps. #6 THHN (run through conduit) is good for 75 amps. #6 Aluminum or copper clad aluminum is a straight up fire hazard on a 60 amp circuit.

It might work just fine, but your local electrical inspector will likely be unhappy. I'd avoid any sharp bends in the wire contacting wall edges or corners because it's going to run hot and a pinch point could melt through the casing.

(I own a house that predates electrification which has been wired over the past century by both highly skilled professionals and some less than highly talented amateurs. That put me on a first name basis with the local electrical inspector and we had many discussions about what was dangerous, what was 100 years old but quite safe, and what was dodgy but not worth touching.)

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Same. I would have less than zero interest in an EV if I couldn’t plug in at home. If I ever don’t have home charging, it’ll be back to an ICE.
Sponsored