simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
A number of these charging curves look to me like they were done prior to the big software update. Post update both my taycans, I have held over 200kwh for much longer than these show. Well into 70% .
Good point. The Fastned curves I posted are definitely older than the uPdate / MY23 software.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
A number of these charging curves look to me like they were done prior to the big software update. Post update both my taycans, I have held over 200kwh for much longer than these show. Well into 70% .
this would/should make a significant improvement in charging time - but porsche has been silent on this front

i find it hard to believe there would be no press release for even a 2 minute improvement (20 vs 22 to 80%)

personally charge times for me are in line with pre-update time.

i welcome data demonstrating any actual improvement’s in total time to reach xx%

basically Porsche would not keep this quiet - charge time numbers are an easy metric to crow about

Ryun43

First Name
Ryun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S...991.2 GT3 Touring
Country flag
this would/should make a significant improvement in charging time - but porsche has been silent on this front

i find it hard to believe there would be no press release for even a 2 minute improvement (20 vs 22 to 80%)

personally charge times for me are in line with pre-update time.

i welcome data demonstrating any actual improvement’s in total time to reach xx%

basically Porsche would not keep this quiet - charge time numbers are an easy metric to crow about
Im guessing., as in line with this discussion, it would end up being a couple minutes at best and then we are back at the debate of what is "significant "

they did call it out faster charging times in the press release for the software update

• Thermal management: better conditioning of the battery, especially at low outside temperatures, enables the Taycan to be rapidly charged more frequently overall and over a wider range of battery charge levels (SoC). The waste heat from the electrical components, for example, is used even more than before to temper the battery. For 2020 and 2021² model-year Taycan models, this enables greater range and shorter charging times.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
. On the east coast, I have never been to a charging station where I could not find at least one functioning charger,
consider yourself fortunate, I have encountered EA stations with only 1 working charger and 3 cars waiting to use the working unit. I have encountered places with multiple chargers that deliver L2 like charging speed, all up and down the east coast from FL to NY

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
The two key factors are:
1. Ambient and battery temperatures. Very Low = slow (also very high = slow). Goldilocks is the key.
2. State of Charge. The fastest charge rates are at the beginning of the charge. See charge curve from Fastened for the Taycan..
Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 16.11.01.png
Sorry but this curve is incorrect. Already mentioned somewhere else.
you can charge way longer at higher speed.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
There is a lot of theory here, at home, AC 11kWh is always charging 10.5kWh
DC fast chargers: I’ve had 350’s doing 40kWh and 150’s doing 110kWh
It all depends how local supply is, how many others are charging and probably obscure load balancing stuff in the grid that is outside our control.

don’t overthink it, from 10-75% soc is the fastest window, after 75% soc it’s going down rapidly on either.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
consider yourself fortunate, I have encountered EA stations with only 1 working charger and 3 cars waiting to use the working unit. I have encountered places with multiple chargers that deliver L2 like charging speed, all up and down the east coast from FL to NY
Yup. Today, 4 x 350 kW no other cars. Life is good.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging at 350 kW v. 150 kW 7BCA9884-C13A-4385-9CD6-C4BC1EE81D04

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging at 350 kW v. 150 kW D49FE1BA-F729-4CEF-AAD4-63A3F64E0600

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging at 350 kW v. 150 kW 3C62943E-AC0A-49CA-9DE8-A4FCA78B01DD

Last edited:

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Sorry but this curve is incorrect. Already mentioned somewhere else.
you can charge way longer at higher speed.
Yes, agreed and as already noted above by @Ryun43.

Question then is do they have more recent curves available - possibly worth an ask? Though I expect they may sample a number of cars, which given the timing of the uPdate and MY23 may not show the best charging performance until the weather gets warmer this spring.

There is no widely available third-party Porsche app etc. which leverages the Porsche API (to my knowledge), which could otherwise map this. Much like TeslaFi or Tessie apps do for Tesla vehicles.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
So, to provide context, I'm traveling to Philadelphia this weekend. I can either charge at a 150 kW charger that is somewhat en route at the edge of Philadelphia, or I can go to a 350 kW charger that is more to towards the East and away from University City, which is on the west of the river.

The apps say that both are available and working as designed (I can't control accuracy of reporting).

Just looking at the 350 v 150, your initial reaction is that might be worth heading to 350, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I would probably lose more time than I would gain.
in the real world (EA charging), 150 is often faster than 350 !..definitely not a major difference in my experience.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I''ve got fast charge protection on anyway. Don't want to burn 10% of my battery within a year, that's equals your performance+ (5k$) premium gone.

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is all semantics to me as I rarely find an EA charger 350 or 150 that comes close to the stated rate, even on an October road trip to California and back. If I am lucky, I can get 125kw from a 350 charger, and maybe 100 from a 150 (assuming they are working - not so easy to find either, tho that seems to be slowly improving). Did not used to be that way, but has for the past several months. Fortunately I do 98% of my charging at home. Are we there yet?

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have yet to use an EA charger. I’ve had really good luck with EVGo on the east coast.

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Our charging is much better than that

Post software update and on my new MY23, I have held 240+ for over 70% and doesnt drop off that quickly

and on a 150 itll hold 174 all the way past 80%

The net result is maybe 5 minutes so not necessarily worth going out of the way to find one but definitely worth it to chose the 350 at EA
what???? I’ve NEVER gotten those kinds of numbers. Whenever I go to a 150kw it throttles down to 100kw after like 60 or so percent, then again to ~88kw after 80%. You must’ve found a cheat code.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hahahahah haha. Talk about self ownage. Just went to charge at EVGo and first two 350 kW chargers would not initiate charges. Ok, in order to preserve my future luck, I’m saying right now “All chargers suck and the whole system is irredeemably, or, as they say, “well and fully” f@cked”.
Sponsored